Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you are a quilter and don't have one of these..... >

If you are a quilter and don't have one of these.....

If you are a quilter and don't have one of these.....

Old 12-29-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Me too, and I haven't miscut $89 worth of fabric in all that time...not even close.

hahaha. lol. that is so true.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:54 PM

Looks like a great idea and would be great for safety but it's too bad it's a little high in $$ right now for me. Lucky you got a gift like that. Hope you enjoy. Sue
Old 12-30-2011, 01:11 PM

What a fantastic gift! It does look quite handy and I have miscut fabric due to my ruler slipping. Enjoy!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:37 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I bought a Quilter's Guide Lock and when I got it, I thought it was a waste of money. I watched the YouTube about your gadget just now and now I understand. My Guide Lock is like your gadget. I didn't realize I was suppose to put a ruler under it. I thought it was suppose to come with ruler lines on it. It has been sitting under my sewing table for months. I just got it out and tried it with a ruler and it works great. This didn't cost very much money...less than $40, but I think it works the same way.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Quilters you need a safety device when using the rotary cutter! The Gypsy Grippers are good safety tools. The Little Gripper is excellent for the small rulers. I have one of the bathroom grippers and it doesn't hold tight as long on the ruler as the Gypsy Gripper does. I would never trust one of them to hold any weight push getting in or out of a tub/shower anyway. I have used my iron to put on my ruler if I'm without a holder and also used a bacon press. Being safe doesn't have to involve spending money, common sense will work fine.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:44 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I bought a Quilter's Guide Lock and when I got it, I thought it was a waste of money. I watched the YouTube about your gadget just now and now I understand. My Guide Lock is like your gadget. I didn't realize I was suppose to put a ruler under it. I thought it was suppose to come with ruler lines on it. It has been sitting under my sewing table for months. I just got it out and tried it with a ruler and it works great. This didn't cost very much money...less than $40, but I think it works the same way.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:23 PM

Looks like a great addition to any studio! I love the safety factor.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:17 PM

Thanks for posting about this. I have problems sometimes due to the pressure needed to hold a ruler steady. (I deal with the aftermath of an accident and the associated pains...) This looks like something that would help me. I've got to start looking for it.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:55 PM

Smile Found a Less Expensive Substitute!

Thanks for the safety tip--Excellent idea to keep your fingers away from sharp rotary blades. Unfortunately $70 for a blade guard is a bit too expensive for me. I decided to look for something less pricey. I tried my local Joann's, but they had sold out their stock of the suction-cupped ruler holder. I recalled seeing something similar at Menards. They had a suction grip handle meant for use in a bath/shower, but it was a bit too large. I looked further and found a suction-cupped clear plastic towel bar that is the perfect size for my 4 x18" ruler and works on my 6 x 24" ruler, too. It looks like the Joann's suction-cup quilt ruler hande, but a bit smaller and clear so the ruler marks show under it. It appears to be fairly sturdy too. I posted a picture of it attached to my ruler along with the package so you can see what it looks like. This will keep rotary cutter blades away from my fingers and the price was right only, $3.88! These nifty little suction-cupped towel bars are in the shower section at Menards. I would imagine these are also carried by other stores too!
Attached Thumbnails suctionholder.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hcarpanini View Post
You are really missing the boat. I got this gadget called Rule Steady for Christmas and I love it!!! I will never cut a piece of fabric without it! With just a tad of pressure on the handle, the ruler underneath cannot move at all! You can use it on any size ruler, large or small. It is from Australia, but there is a shop in Indiana that sells it. It was $89. but will save tons of fabric due to have to constantly straightening because the ruler "slipped".
Looks great....I would like one of them......No one around SC has them for sale...Maybe oneday........

FREE Quilting Newsletter