Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you are a quilter and don't have one of these..... >

If you are a quilter and don't have one of these.....

If you are a quilter and don't have one of these.....

Old 12-29-2011, 09:16 AM

I cannot afford $90 for a tool, when I have that suction cup safety handle that keeps your fingers away from the blade and a firm grip on the ruler...seen as low as $10.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:24 AM

What a wonderful gift. I just love getting gifts for my quilting.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the info on this tool. One of the great things about this board is hearing about things you may not otherwise know of.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
In our local "Home Bargain" store they sell the self same item, although they call it a Shower Grip Handle and only charge £2.99/$4.50, quite a difference
Just looked on Amazon for shower grip...and apart from the pretty purple colour they look the same...and a fraction of the price..I am going to order one and I thank-you for sharing. I probably would have paid the higher price not knowing the same product exists under a different name..:-D
Old 12-29-2011, 09:40 AM

First I have to admit finding it difficult to spend that much on a tool instead of fabric, but my resolution to slipping fabric and cut fingers is a simple two-step process:
1. I use a strip of blue tape under the ruler -- usually marking the width I'm working with, i.e. 2.5"
2. I bought one of the suction grips for the shower at Harbor Freight and use it for stability and slice prevention. It's about 12" long and has a suction cup on each end. Think it cost less than $9. They also have several smaller, circular grips that work well for smaller rulers.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:54 AM

I bought the Quilters Slide Lock at the show in Puyallup WA in November. They have a web site www.quiltersslidelock.com. I like it but have only used it a couple times so far. Hope to start on a large quilt some time in January and will know then if it was worth the money. It does stay in place as I have a problem with the rulers slipping while cutting strips. I've tried everything on the market to get the problem fixed and so far this works the best.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:16 AM

That looks like a useful tool, but at that price I will just have to be very careful. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:20 AM

Will be checking it out! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:22 AM

I think that someone thought a great deal of you to search and find such a useful gift. Enjoy it and you're absolutely right, you won't have many mis-cuts with a tool like that. With good old Arthur stiffening the hands and fingers I may have to ask Santa for one in the future. Thanks for sharing.

FREE Quilting Newsletter