Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: If you've made a quillow.....

If you've made a quillow.....

...what type of batting did you use? I have a pattern that calls for a lofty polyester batting, but I've only used Warm & Natural in my quilts. I guess "puffy" would be better. Any opinions?

I made mine with puffy because I didn't know any better. In the beginning it was bundlesome to fold but as it aged, the batting lost some of its fluff and was easier to fold. I made one for my car using only flannel ... it was tooo flat. It seems Warm & Natural would be perfect - not too fluffy and not too flat. I'm interested in your results.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

I made one probably 15 years ago. I used pellon fleece, but would use Warm & Natural if I made another.

I used the quilters dream cotton in the last one I made....worked great!

We made HUNDREDS of these in the 80s. My MIL had a shop. We always used poly batting BUT they were just tied. If you are willing to quilt them some or tie closer than we did you could use W&N. We used a medium loft.

I still have one left on the couch in my basement. I think​ that is the last of them.

Blog Entries
    you can use any batting you want- the directions call for lofty-poly batting so the (pillow) is like a pillow- they will fold up flatter if you use warm & natural or some other low-loft batting- it is a personal choice- some people like them lofty-fluffy, cozy- if you like the flat-stiffness of warm & natural then use that.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I made some back in the 90's. Don't remember what I used for batting. Bought the material at a Ben Franklin store in western KY. Probably just bought whatever they had in the store.

I made some back in the 90s, too. I use high loft and tied so the pillow would be plump. I also made a couple kids ones recently using fleece and a smaller pillow which worked well.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Blog Entries
    I used poly, cause its supposed to be a pillow, also. I would add straps to the kids themed quillows for overnight bags, so they could carry their pj's in them.

I will be making at least one t-shirt quillow for my son-in-law, and plan on using a low-loft poly batting in it. I have a number of other t-shirts of my SIL's that will be made into quilts, and for those, Warm and Natural is my choice.
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

I made one a few months ago and used a recycled fleece blanket, and it worked fine. Not to flat, and not to fluffy!
    "I would change the world for you but I wouldn't change you for the world!"

Autism Speaks

Blog Entries
    I made a few. The first I made were poly as it was only batting I could get hold of. I made these quillows for young nephews to take camping. They did find the closed cushion and poly difficult to cope with. I made the next batch without closed cushion with tabs joining the sides. The 5 year old found this easier to use.
    Then I started making them with warm and natural. I also started using a bag or a loose cushion cover to hold either a normal size quillow quilt or single quilts. The warm and natural was thinner than poly and easier to put in cushion but warmer. I love to keep quillows in the car for children to sit on or lap quilts.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    I have made several quillows. I use double fleece and warm and natural. I quilt and bind them.>>

QM
    Any batting you want is fine. I also quilt the "pocket", so it can be used to keep toes warm in a lap quilt. DH loves his.

I've made several with low loft poly batting. Some were cross hatched and some were either tied or tacked by machine. In some I included a pillow for the pocket.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Couldn't imagine making one with polyester. I used warm and natural because I didn't want it fluffy.

I've made a number of quillows and my daughters and grandchildren love them - especially for travel. I think I used whatever I had which was probably high or medium loft. I tied all of mine. A great gift and they go together quickly.

That's just what I need. A lap quilt with a pillow into which I can put my feet. My feet are always cold when I'm not active.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

That's just what I need: a lap robe with a pocket for my feet. My feet are always cold when I am not active. I have the pattern; now to just get at it.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher