Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ikea fabric >

Ikea fabric

Ikea fabric

Old 03-11-2012, 05:36 AM

I got some home decor fabric from Ikea and it was a great bargain. Didn't look for/at any quilting weight fabric.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:47 AM

I bought some of the lighter weight cottons from Ikea. I pre washed it, which I don't usually do. I have used it in quilts and it works fine. It does not have a "soft hand" to it and I find it much harder to iron. It is a good value though.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 AM

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea ikea had fabric, thread, other sewing/quilting supplies. I looked online and am planning a day trip to visit the ikea in the Houston area soon. Too sad, no online orders.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:14 AM

Trying this post again - will there ever be a solution to the infuriating problem some of us have of the site freezing when we click reply, losing the post we've just carefully typed???!
I've used Ikea plain fabrics as backings on 2 or 3 quilts. They're slightly thicker than most quilting fabric, but worked well enough. I've tried black and red, and have had no problems with the colours running. The one thing I'd caution against is using them as binding as well - hand sewing through the layers of this fabric was NOT fun.
Last time I was in Ikea, they had a new range of very pretty florals and spots, which I thought seemed to be comparable to quilting fabric. I didn't need any at the time, but intend to give them a try.
It's also useful that Ikea fabric is about 60in wide, meaning it can sometimes be used as a backing without having to piece it. And the prices, especially for those of us in the UK, paying a lot for quilting fabric, are great.

And on a different note, Leah Day recently pointed out that Ikea do a very inexpensive range of very slick table tops for which you can buy adjustable legs, so perfect for a quilting set-up.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 AM

Pictures please......
Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
I have been using Ikea fabrics for a number of years - comparing the weight to the Marimekko cottons? Yes, that is a good comparison! I'd say they are very similar in weight and feel. I not only make quilts with my Ikea purchases, I have completely re-done my full finished basement in one of their beautiful fabrics.....fabric shades, pillows, and long curtains to separate the living space down there from my sewing room. And I only paid $7/yard! I also used the same fabric to re-upholster a small Ikea loveseat! Everyone loves to hang out in our new space now!!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:05 AM

There were only a couple fabrics that I would use for quilts. The rest were more 'full bodied' and wouldn't be as flexible for quilting. They're fantastic for home sewing.....drapes, cushions, etc. I had company coming and wanted to freshen up the guestroom so I picked up the EMELINA KNOPP duvet cover and cases along with the $10.00 comforter. Turned the pillows sideways and folded the ends to the front (after I added some cotton lace) for shams. With a white dustruffle t was the quickest, springlike pickmeup and no weight at all for 'us Floridians'.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:11 AM

I haven't been to an Ikea store in ages. Next time I am in California I will check it out.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:12 AM

My Ikea has some neat looking modern fabric. FOr me it is all too heavy for quilting. It might be good on a back to make a heavy quilt. I have used it in bags etc. I made a really nice laptop case for my DD with it. I used a cheap yoga mat ( free with a rebate at Menards) for my padding. A really nice laptop case. I might go tomorrow to get some salmon there, I will stop and look at the fabric.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:35 AM

Default IKEA sewing fabric and table

I think IKEA has some really pretty fabrics and at the right price. Can you tell me which table you bought? I've been in the market for one, too.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=annesthreads;5050130]Trying this post again - will there ever be a solution to the infuriating problem some of us have of the site freezing when we click reply, losing the post we've just carefully typed???!

Until a solution is found, just compose your post in Word or whatever word processing program you use. Then copy and paste it to this site in the box provided where you would normally compose your post. Click "post quick reply". If the site freezes, at least you haven't lost your original wording.