Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm afraid to quilt..(newbie) >

I'm afraid to quilt..(newbie)

I'm afraid to quilt..(newbie)

Old 01-21-2010, 06:53 PM

My first quilting was on a baby quilt and my stitch in the ditch didn't stay even close to in the ditch, so I picked it out and changed to the 3 step zig zag stitch. That works for me but someday I will try sid again.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:50 PM

I'm with you girl. If at all possible take a day, travel to a class, and then practice, practice and practice some more on a sandwiched 9 patch of 8" sq. It helped me tremndously and gave me the courage to start with a twin size. Haven't done a qn. yet. Good luck.....you'll do great. :D
Old 01-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

Hi my name is Penny and I am new to quilting to, but at christmas we needed something under the tree to protect the hard wood floors, so i sandwhiched 2 fabs and did free moition
and it wasnt perfect but i had fun. havent done a quilt yet, but am cutting fab now. good luck and have fun. from Cornelius,OR
Old 01-22-2010, 03:59 AM

I am also afraid. I have 2 guilts (12 squares each) that I have not even put together. By the way you are in my home town, Orlando..
Old 01-22-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Doda
I'm a newbie, just started making quilt tops in September 09.
Have taken quilting classes at a LQS and have made 4 quilt tops. This may sound strange but they are just sitting pretty
in their separate bags. I AM AFRAID TO TRY AND QUILT THEM! Are there any other newbies out there with the same fear? And all of you expert veteran quilters, did you have this fear as well?
I've been reading about free motion quilting, bought a DVD that
instructs you on this method, read lots of books on it, and that's about it. No notion to get started. Can't afford to have
done for me. (my LQS does not offer classes on free motion quilting) Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you.
The actual quilting is my least favorite part of quilting, but I find using quilt spray to hold the layers helps a whole lot. My favorite stitch is the "joining" stitch, designed to hold 2 pieces of fabric together. Since it sews on each side of the seam line, it hides any of my unintented meandering. Jump in and try--the first one is always hardest. Good luck
Old 01-22-2010, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by moreland
Have taken quilting classes at a LQS and have made 4 quilt tops. This may sound strange but they are just sitting pretty
in their separate bags. I AM AFRAID TO TRY AND QUILT THEM! Are there any other newbies out there with the same fear? And all of you expert veteran quilters, did you have this fear as well?
instructs you on this method, read lots of books on it, and that's about it. No notion to get started. Can't afford to have
done for me. (my LQS does not offer classes on free motion quilting) Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you.
The actual quilting is my least favorite part of quilting, but I find using quilt spray to hold the layers helps a whole lot. My favorite stitch is the "joining" stitch, designed to hold 2 pieces of fabric together. Since it sews on each side of the seam line, it hides any of my unintented meandering. Jump in and try--the first one is always hardest. Good luck
Here is a picture of the stitch I like to use. In the picture it looks like a zigzag stitch and it is a variation of that but it is more spread out than zigzag. Maybe something you'd like to try.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-64463.jpe  
Old 01-22-2010, 07:03 AM

My favorite stitches for quilting in the ditch are what I call the EKG stitch ( zigs to one side, then takes a straight stitch, then zags to the other side ), and the serpentine stitch ( which is just a wavy line). I vary the width and stitch length depending on what fabric and batting I am using (do a test sample). They are probably in with your utility stitches--not the fancy decorative stitches--if your machine has separate menus. Even my most basic machine has the EKG stitch in the mending stitches. I seldom use a straight stitch because every slight wobble is so obvious. The two I mentioned are decorative and hide the wobbles nicely.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:12 AM

Thank you.
Practice by making a table runner and free motion quilt it. It will help you gain confidence. The go for it. Remember, when you get the whole thng finished, you'll love it, or give it to someone who will. And you'll get better every time! Good luck!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:13 AM
dsj

Hi Doda, I am a hand quilter. I know it takes longer but I love the look and they are so beautiful when they are done. I have machine quilted too, but my preference is by hand. Machine quilting is just as nice and much quicker it just takes practice. Make sure you practice on scraps first it takes a bit to get used to it. Good luck with your decision and have fun piecing away.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:38 AM

You can do it! Be Brave and just jump in. You will be surprised once you start, how easy it is.