Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm afraid to quilt..(newbie) >

I'm afraid to quilt..(newbie)

I'm afraid to quilt..(newbie)

Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 PM

I just read the first page of this thread so if I repeat something that was said, I'm sorry. Do you know someone in town that also quilts that can show you and coach you? Maybe join the local quilt quild and have someone from there coach you. I am real lucky to have my DW as my teacher and coach because I learn best by watching and asking questions, without someone there it makes learning that much tougher. If you have no one available, you might make a small throw-away quilt (made from scrap or cheap material) maybe six squares by six squares to use as a practice platform and use different color thread for the different practice patterns. When you're done throw it away or keep it as a sample. Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by euclid
I can recommend a book called Foolproof Machine Quilting by Mary Mashuta. SThe book is in a lot of online shops, including Amazon.
Thanks so much for the recommendation; I have ordered this book from the UK. Hugs from me
Old 01-21-2010, 02:05 PM

I am trying to get some tops finished. The one I am working on I started hand quilting...well I did some and its not flat and a bit off, so I'm tying that sucker lol :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 01-21-2010, 02:09 PM

I haven't quilted a TON of quilts, but I get nervous every time I start one. I've free motioned and SID (probably the thing i hate to do the most), but my recommendation is to just jump in with both feet. Even if you make mistakes with FMQ, once it's all done, no one can tell, and sometimes you can't either. tee hee Jump in and enjoy... that's what it's all about anyway.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 PM

Boy, can I relate! I have a shelf full of ready to quilt tops. But, I've started - I started by making a sandwich of muslin and batting and started practicing. I did that for quite a while and still practice before I start on a top.
Can you make a few small wall hangings for yourself and quilt those first before you tackle a full size quilt?
Good luck, Karen
Old 01-21-2010, 02:27 PM

when I stated quilting I had no ideal how to quilt the top, so what I did I tie all my quilts, about the 5th quilt I wanted more so I took a class on how to quilt your top and now I do my own quilts on my Elna 3600, most of the time I do stich on the ditch and then I have done all over, the all over came really good. I have made baby quilts they are the best ones to learn from.
Stay with it and you can do it
gloria
Old 01-21-2010, 02:31 PM

honestly, i was terrified. it took me like 5 years to actually quilt one with free motion and not just stitch the ditch with square blocks...lol

but what i did, i read my manual for my sewing machine, then took some large scraps and flopped them together with a bit of batting in between and started trying it out. I realize your afraid of ruining all the hard work you put into the quilts already. and you will get frustrated with free motion at first. but it is practice at finding your speed with the machine verses guiding your fabric. and of course, when you are finished, you can either rip it all out or just throw it away cuz its just scrap.

I actually went to an auction and picked up a box of fabric and pillowcases that some i liked, some not so much...and prcaticed on the not so much! Good luck and you can do it for sure!!!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:57 PM

I have read all of the comments about the fear we all go through about the quilting part. My first class was making quilts the "way your grandmother made quilts" all by hand. I love hand piecing and hand quilting while watching TV. However it takes forever, I started making lap size quilts and that does help. When I bought my last Bernina, I got the BSR Bernina Stitch Regulator. Is is great but it is still FMQ and still takes practice to make loops and curves without little pointy things.

I have tried quilting a diagonal line on my machine from corner to corner and then following that line about and inch or so away in a grid pattern to cover the entire quilt. You can stop with that or then do the same thing in a vertical pattern. You then end of with a diamond pattern.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:00 PM

dont worry, that is the first problem you're having, my first one I splurge and had it done wonderful
Old 01-21-2010, 05:20 PM

Lots of good advice here!
I too am a newbie - took my first class in '09. That project was SID (I'm more like the MAD quilter!);
I also went to a workshop which used free motion - instructor had us practice on a scrap sandwhich - we learned a lot in 5 - 10 minutes of practice! Might also want to use a SewSlip - you'll get free-er motion (unless you have a fabric mover).
I make dog blankets for a rescue group - take some grief from the other volunteers for making pieced blankies, but it lets me practice, practice, practice!
Bet your last pieced top is better than your first - quilted projects will be the same - you'll learn something different with each one. Have fun!