Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm afraid to quilt..(newbie) >

I'm afraid to quilt..(newbie)

I'm afraid to quilt..(newbie)

Old 01-22-2010, 07:04 PM

don't be afraid!!!!!!!!!!! :-D i can't stress this enough!!!!!!! quilting, just like any other craft/hobby/obsession should be a way to express one self and fun. i have made a few quilts by just guessing with hand and machine sewing.( one was actually for an auction at my granddaughters pre-school, which netted them $1500. i totally passed out.LOL) am now in the process of learning actual techniques. the trick is to always be eager to learn. don't be worried if you mess up, it's all the process. Relax, and Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:39 PM

I can relate. After being in a block of the month club at my LQS for several years, I finally got the courage to put a quilt together. How do people deal with moving the bulk and volume of the quilt sandwich when free motion meadering? The weight pulled the quilt so I have some very uneven stitches. I used the rubber coated garden gloves to move the quilt around, but half hour later my shoulders ached.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:21 PM

I haven't read all the replies and I hope I don't repeat something. Can we see a picture of the quilts?
Suggestions:
Stitch in the ditch
If you have a machine with decorative stitching, you can go over all or some of the seams with the decorative stitch. I did one with a blanket stitch and I really like the way it came out.
A lot of people still tie quilts.
Criss cross the squares or blocks
Use a stencil or two. If I could see the quilts, I'd have a better ideas. Now I'll go back and look to see if you already posted pics. ERRRRR.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:21 PM

Maybe put together a small sandwich of cheaper fabric & batting and practice before you tackle a quilt. That may help you relieve that fear & you can get the feel of it. Then there is always handquilting. I really do enjoy that. It is slow but enjoyable.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:37 PM

[quote=Shirley41]
Originally Posted by Doda
I'm a newbie, just started making quilt tops in September 09.
I AM AFRAID TO TRY AND QUILT THEM! Are there any other newbies out there with the same fear?
Thank you.
I am a newbie too and I am with you. Just realized that we were not alone. The veterans were so positively motivating & encouraging. I can see why I love this board more.
:thumbup:
Old 01-31-2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by batdancer
I can relate. After being in a block of the month club at my LQS for several years, I finally got the courage to put a quilt together. How do people deal with moving the bulk and volume of the quilt sandwich when free motion meadering? The weight pulled the quilt so I have some very uneven stitches. I used the rubber coated garden gloves to move the quilt around, but half hour later my shoulders ached.
This is the same problem I have. I have the quilt tossed over my shoulders, spread out on my sewing table. I have tried the c clamps that roll it up, that seemed to be the worst. Then the hot flashes kick in and I get frustrated. I think that is why I like handquilting. :oops:
Old 01-31-2010, 09:29 AM
dsj

I have that same trouble machine quilting. It makes me so tense and frustrated. Mt. Mama, I am right there with you I hand quilt for those same reasons. I know it takes longer but I am never tense hand quilting.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by dsj
I have that same trouble machine quilting. It makes me so tense and frustrated. Mt. Mama, I am right there with you I hand quilt for those same reasons. I know it takes longer but I am never tense hand quilting.
Hello dsj, I almost give up with quilting. I will follow you, rather than frustrating with machine quilting and resulting clumpsy & ugly quilts, I think hand quilting should be another smart option to try. I do not mind if it takes longer coz I don't sell my quilts anyway, no time target, no sales target, but my crafts will brighten my bedroom. I do have a question though if you do not mind to share with me, how do you hand stitch your quilts? I am not familiar with hand-sticthes terms, but is it you start with your needle from the back of the sandwich up to the quilt top, then from the top stitch down to the back of the sandwich again? Thanks a lot. :thumbup: :D
Old 01-31-2010, 05:27 PM
dsj

I Emma, I would love to help you. I will pm you to give more detail. Check your pm.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:03 PM
dsj

Emma check your pm I didn't realize you are from Indonesia, I am in the USA. So nice to meet you and I hope I helped you a little.