Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm buying an old Viking #1+ !!! >

I'm buying an old Viking #1+ !!!

I'm buying an old Viking #1+ !!!

Old 10-03-2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
I bought one on Kijiji (Canadian version of Craig's List) from the DIL of the original owner who didn't know what she had. The machine had been living in a closet and she just wanted it gone. Most of the machine components were still in the sealed cartons so you know how much work it had done. I was just looking for a spare machine and have not yet tried to embroider except using the small plates that snap on at the front. I have 12 of them and so many stitches and alphabets that I don't know if I'll ever need the hoops and all of the other embroidery components. I do like the alphabets for making quilt labels.
Awesome - I am hoping to embroider my own quilt labels - anticipation! You must have a brilliant machine for your first machine if this is a backup. I think this one may bump my only usable machine, the Janome 3160QDC, right out of the picture, it has so many features.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:44 PM

You will love this machine. I have one and as everyone stated, it's a workhorse. I bought mine off eBay 7 years ago and still running like new. There is a yahoo group stickly for this machine and they are a very helpful group. The only drawback to this machine is it's limited embroidery area of only 4 x 4.

Good luck with your new baby!

Cindy in Tn
Old 10-04-2014, 06:26 AM

I have a DII and love it. It's so heavy, there must be plenty of metal parts inside.

The only problem I have had with it was stupidly touching the screen while repositioning the quilt. There isn't a ton of space there. it does make a noise when a new stitch is pressed, so you'll know, but do watch to see if the needle has changed position, so that when you resme stiching, you're on the right track.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 10-04-2014, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew View Post
You will love this machine. I have one and as everyone stated, it's a workhorse. I bought mine off eBay 7 years ago and still running like new. There is a yahoo group stickly for this machine and they are a very helpful group. The only drawback to this machine is it's limited embroidery area of only 4 x 4.

Cindy in Tn
No, there was a 5X7 3 position hoop available. The designs were broken down into 3 overlapping parts and you moved the hoop position according to top/middle/bottom.

There is also a way of combining designs on the cards for embroidery, It's called Pictogramming and you would be surprised at what you can do non-hoop.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:48 AM

That is a great older machine,you will love it
Old 10-05-2014, 05:57 AM

Bought mine new.......works better than new BL......embroidery is limited, but so is my interest in it.......if I had it to do over I would have " upgraded" to another Viking instead of BL. Jmho
Old 10-05-2014, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew View Post

Cindy in Tn
I have one and have many different size hoops larger than 4x4. This machine is still said to be the best emb machine Viking ever made. Few people trade them in. I bought one yrs ago on Ebay, I had problems with it but was smart enough to buy from a seller with a 2 yr warranty. I sent it back for repairs and before he got it back to me I got a great deal for the Ruby and since then have traded up to the Diamond Deluxe. I got the 1+ back and havent taken it out of the box. I'm giving my daughter my Kenmore/Janome computerized machine so it may be time to take it out so that I have a back up or when my other emb machine is going and I'm not serging or using the mega quilter. I was going to sell it on here once and then got insulted when someone said they'd be doing me a favor by taking it off of my hands. I told them, yes I need the money but not willing to give things away for it. I'd rather donate it to charity than that. At least I know rather I sell it or use it, its was serviced and has tons of accessories. I even have the black box for designs and an xp computer to use it on.

My Viking dealer said you don't find them available as much as even newer machines because they are so good that most people just keep them as a backup instead of trading them in.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:14 AM

I liked a lot of what the 1+ did, but went back to Pfaff since I could program my own stitches. I used to have a mess of Elna stitches in the old non-hoop 1475. You could also edit the machine stitches any way you needed to. I had trouble with some heirloom I'd want to do.

I do miss the Pictogramming. I needed small holly leaf and berry embroidery and I didn't have a premade one. Pictogramming let me do it (non-hoop). I still have the books. One of the machine cards has almost all the files you need to Pictogram.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:28 AM

I love my Viking 1+. I bought a second one, just the head a few years ago for parts. Hadn't been using it for embroidery, it was having issues, but was my go to for sewing. Earlier this year, it became very ill. Something with the whole needle bar. My 'soon to be ex' was able to repair it, some parts had worn plumb out. It sews like a dream again. Need to try out the embroidery soon. It was funny, because the sewing machine repair guy told me it was the mother board??? My 'soon to be ex' also repaired my other favorite baby, Pfaff1222. Had to have some rewiring done. So happy to have them both back in the herd. You will love the 1+. Treat her well, pick up a 2nd one if you can. Find a good repair guy who isn't afraid of it. Enjoy.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:30 AM

Make sure you join the Viking 1+ yahoo group. So much helpful information there.