Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm buying an old Viking #1+ !!! >

I'm buying an old Viking #1+ !!!

I'm buying an old Viking #1+ !!!

Old 10-05-2014, 07:49 AM

Add me to the list of people who would never get rid of my Viking 1+. I bought mine new, (paying 'on sale' at the time nearly $3,000 back in the mid 90's that made it one of the most expensive machines I looked at) not even knowing how to sew, however wanting a hobby when one day I'd be retired.

I never started using the 1+ machine regularly until about 5 years ago, so it has very little hours on it. I only piece quilts that is the extent of my sewing capabilities.

I still 20+ years later have not used the 1+ to its potential. I've learned it is all metal, made in Sweden before Husqvarna was sold. The Husqvarna repairman also told me never to get rid of it as they don't make 'em like this anymore. I've never had a moment of trouble, despite my learning curve and no doubt perhaps doing things that might have sent a lessor machine in for repairs.

Because 'parts' mainly the 'mother board' is nearly impossible to find, I decided to purchase a back-up, just-in-case. I opted to buy via eBay, this past summer, the Husqvarna Viking #1 which is virtually the same machine sans embroidery capabilities, using most of the same cassettes and all of the same feet.

I actually had bought the Viking #1 first in the mid-90's and my sister talked me into upgrading to the 1+ for the embroidery capabilities and so within 6 months of purchasing the #1 I upgraded to the 1+. I've used the embroidery unit once! LOL I found I did not like 'babysitting' the machine while it embroidered to change thread colors...just not my thing :0)

The Yahoo group, is listed as
Viking1Plus_Orchidea Be sure to use the underscore in the group name. It is at times not a very busy group, but I assure you if you post a question someone is sure to help you out. Once you join look at the files, as schematic's of the machine, tips, manuals are all there. Talk of Jan's (the original owner of the group, who has since passed away) instructional video being reproduced by her daughter onto DVD is being promised. I have the video and it's invaluable to learning all functions the machine has to offer.

So good for you in purchasing a great machine, as I'm so happy with my Viking #1 and #1+.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 10-05-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:00 AM

Default 1+

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
So excited!!! It's a Viking #1+with all the embroidery!

I am going to get it tomorrow!

I was scanning Craigslist for a cheap embroidery machine for basic stuff, looking $300 or under, and for giggles I took a peek at the Viking and light dawned over Marblehead...why not get an old but high-end machine which embroiders, and quilts, and has all the bells and whistles that my basic Janome 3160 QDC doesn't have?

Yahoooo! Anybody out there have one?
I have one that I bought from ebay about 3 1/2 years ago. It had one embroidery design with it and the unit embroiders beautifully. It is the machine I sew on most of the time; I have three others. It is a workhorse of a machine.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew View Post
You will love this machine. I have one and as everyone stated, it's a workhorse. I bought mine off eBay 7 years ago and still running like new. There is a yahoo group stickly for this machine and they are a very helpful group. The only drawback to this machine is it's limited embroidery area of only 4 x 4.

Good luck with your new baby!

Cindy in Tn
There are bigger hoops that can be found for this machine. I have seen them on eBay.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:52 AM

Thank you all!

I just joined the Yahoo group and sent out a query for a repair tech who knows the machines. this afternoon I gave it to local Viking shop in Beverly MA but they were so busy selling me a new one, I fear they won't bother to work on it but will just tell me it doesn't work. They told me it doesn't embroider! Do you believe that?!!!

It does need some work, but I bought it with two or three hoops, the arm, the booklet full of the cards for embroidery, extra feet, the extension table, and the manuals, and I am hoping that the quilter who owned it didn't run it into the ground.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:15 AM

I also have this machine. I bought it in '03 in Florida as a "repack". Salesman told us it had been used in a class and could not be sold as brand new. I paid $1700 for it and later found out that it sold brand new retail for $4500. I bought a 1/4" piecing foot (plastic) for it. I have run my needle through it a couple of times. I don't use it for piecing now as I found it to be too wide. I use my regular A foot and the side to side increments. I also have a walking foot which works just fine. I used the hopping foot for the embroidery for free motion and don't like it very much. What do others use for free motion? I have used the embroidery unit some but not a lot. Just not what I am into. I have used it A LOT for piecing but now as of June I have a featherweight so I do my piecing on that. I had a little trouble with it after we got home to Alaska. My husband bench pressed it into the overhead bin from FL to AK. It wanted to sew in a circle instead of straight. I had to send it over to Anchorage to the nearest repair shop. If I had still been in FL I probably could have gotten it repaired at the original place without charge, but I wasn't and so it goes. I do have to use leaders to avoid tangles at the start of the seam. It has occurred to me that if I used the thread cutter and left the thread attached this wouldn't be necessary. Any thoughts on that out there? I do love this machine and don't plan to upgrade just to get auto thread cutter, etc. It's heavy but that's okay - it doesn't hop around. I will be looking up the Yahoo group for more info. Thanks for this thread. Makes me feel like a member of an elite club. lol Nancy
Old 10-05-2014, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

CONGRATULATIONS on your new machine, hope the 2 of you have many happy hours together. Enjoy the leaf-peeping, I've heard that it's at peak, but the trees are just beginning to change here in MA. When my daughter lived in TX she requested that my DH and I go leaf-peeping and take lots and lots of pictures, seems she was homesick for NH and all the trees, since she was living in Lubbock, TX at the time and there were few trees. Her GF was attending Texas A & M at the same time and had the same request of her parents. Enjoy and maybe find a couple quilt shops along the way.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:50 PM

I'd say lucky you! Enjoy.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:59 PM

Yes, I have one. I bought it used about 10 years ago and it is still running great. I wasn't sure I was going to like embroidery but I got hooked I make all kinds of gifts with it and it has been traveling with us in our trailer. Basically, where ever I go, my 1+ goes with me. I ended up purchasing a used Designer I about 5 years ago so that I can make larger designs since the 1+ only does 4" by 4" field. You can obtain many free designs off the internet as well as purchasing designs at reasonable prices.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:28 PM

I have one, bought it new and just cannot give it up. I bought a Designer I, but prefer to sew on the #1+. Enjoy!!
Old 10-05-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Thank you all!

I just joined the Yahoo group and sent out a query for a repair tech who knows the machines. this afternoon I gave it to local Viking shop in Beverly MA but they were so busy selling me a new one, I fear they won't bother to work on it but will just tell me it doesn't work. They told me it doesn't embroider! Do you believe that?!!!

It does need some work, but I bought it with two or three hoops, the arm, the booklet full of the cards for embroidery, extra feet, the extension table, and the manuals, and I am hoping that the quilter who owned it didn't run it into the ground.

SueSew ~ If the shop you took the 1+ to is trying to up sell you, even before they've checked it out! I would suggest that you don't believe the repair person who told you that your newly purchased machine may have major issues.

The nearest authorized shop to me told me my motherboard was about to go out that is why I was having issues with stitch consistency. I couldn't afford $500 for a new motherboard so I said put it back together and I'll live with it. THEN I found the Yahoo group and they pointed out the schematics on the group files and I got Jan's video I talked about in post #21. Because of the schematics my husband gave the machine a more through cleaning than what I had been doing. The machine now at least 3 years later is purring like a kitten, stitch issues were only a deep cleaning/dusting problem.

Through the Yahoo group or contact me privately and I will give you the name of a man who several in the group ship their 1+ to for service, he's been a Viking repairman for I think if I remember 40+ years. I will never take my machine back to the authorized dealer close to home, the one that wanted to up-sell me into a newer 'better' model. I'll drive the 2 hours to one that is reputable here in Idaho or ship it to the Yahoo recommended service person.

I also think there is a way that an authorized repairman can tell how many hours a computerized machine has on it...not sure but I think there was a thread here on the board not too long ago that discussed that.

Oh, regarding original price for the 1+ I just pulled my folder out of the file cabinet. My original receipts show....

On October 31, 1994, I paid $3499.00 in Denver, Colorado, for the 1+ New in the box. I was trading in my #1 which I'd bought in May 1994 for $2395.00 New in the box ( it didn't have the extensive embroidery capabilities i.e. hoop) they were 'giving' (ha, ha) me $2600 for the #1 So the trade up in 5 months cost me $900 for the embroidery unit that I have only used once! Wow what an expensive set of towels those were! LOL Ahh the days before retirement with two paychecks and the kids nearly out of college.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 10-05-2014 at 04:50 PM.