Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm doing research for when I get a new machine... >

I'm doing research for when I get a new machine...

I'm doing research for when I get a new machine...

Old 01-04-2008, 09:03 AM

I have a H. Viking that I paid $1100 for and they are getting cheaper now. I bought it a Joanns and it has a 10 in throat and all the bells and whistles you need except the auto thread cutter. It really made a difference when pushing all that quilt thru. I really like that you can fill the bobbin when the needle is still threaded. It is computerized and that takes some getting used to if you have never used one.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:55 PM

Read all these posts, and most of you have different machines. I have an older Bernina that is a workhorse believe me. I forget to oil it, I forget to clean it or even take it in, it doesn't care it just keeps on working. I have had this one since 1981, and have sewn things like canvas boat tops, tents you name it. I know you don't have to have a machine that will do all that to quilt, but that is only an example of my machine. It just keeps on working.. Ok now that I have bragged about my machine...

Here is what I would do if I had a set budget and was looking for a machine. Go to some of the dealers you would like to try, and ask about used machines. Try out some of them in the shop. I am sure if they think they have a sale, they will help you in any way. If not you don't want that machine anyway. You want someone that is a responsible dealer and stands by thier machine, new or used. Ok this is long, and probably stupid, but its a start.

Rita
Old 01-05-2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by foxxigrani
Read all these posts, and most of you have different machines. I have an older Bernina that is a workhorse believe me. I forget to oil it, I forget to clean it or even take it in, it doesn't care it just keeps on working. I have had this one since 1981, and have sewn things like canvas boat tops, tents you name it. I know you don't have to have a machine that will do all that to quilt, but that is only an example of my machine. It just keeps on working.. Ok now that I have bragged about my machine...

Here is what I would do if I had a set budget and was looking for a machine. Go to some of the dealers you would like to try, and ask about used machines. Try out some of them in the shop. I am sure if they think they have a sale, they will help you in any way. If not you don't want that machine anyway. You want someone that is a responsible dealer and stands by thier machine, new or used. Ok this is long, and probably stupid, but its a start.

Rita
I'm with the foxx on this one. I borrowed a Bernina 1530 with all the bells and whistles for my 3 day quilt project I did over New Years. Loverly machine that kept losing stitch lengths, wouldn't reverse thread half the time, sometimes when it did reverse, it wouldn't stop sewing backwards, sometimes it would then change the stitch length arbitrarily to something approaching basting length... I am never going to get rid of my 830 for a computerized model. I think you should go find a good old workhorse with a dozen (or 22) stitches and keep it oiled and tuned up. Buy local if you can. They want to keep your business.

tim in san jose
Old 01-05-2008, 03:48 PM

I have a new Janome 6600 that I think will serve me for at least the next ten years. It is wonderful, has a built in walking foot, and sews wonderfully. I was using those horrible machines sold at WalMart before then and the difference is amazing.

That said, my favorite machine is a 1957 Brother, which looks like a Featherweight. I would NOT recommend a new model but their old ones are phenominal. It only sews a straight line but it does so without any dropped stitches, any change in the length, the tension always seems perfect. It is the perfect piecing machine. If you can find an old Featherweight or something similar, I definitely recommend getting it.

I have to agree about finding a dealer that offers support. The place I bought my sewing machine from has a policy where, as long as I own the machine, I can bring it in any time and they will show me how everything works. I think that is great because I don't use all the features and if I need a quick refresher course I know the dealer is always willing to help me out with a class or two - free of cost. They do this with all the equipment they sell, including the Gracey quilt frame. I've dealt with dealers who won't stand by their product so I really appreciate finding a place like this and being able to buy from them.
~Tiffany