Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm embarrassed!

No. California. The foothills of the Sierras.
    Be proud of yourself. I bet your son loves it very much.
    Sue
    Face the sun and keep your shadow at your back.
    And it never hurts to keep an angel on your shoulder.

Don't worry, the only ones that would notice a quilt police and quilt judges. I bet your son is neither and will treasure his quilt because you made it. After you have a few more under your belt it is fun to go back to see how much you have learned and improved since the first one. Quilt ON!
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Don't worry about seams that don't match!! You gave your sweet son a gift from your heart and hands. You will get better and better with each quilt. I have made quite a few quilts and learn something new from each one. My family loves their quilts and I love making them.
    Sherri

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn View Post
    If anyone says anything - and they won't - say you did it on purpose! I'll bet it's beautiful.
    I like that reply! And "wonky" quilts are very popular these days! Or at least that's what I'm telling myself about the Baby quilt I just made and FMQed, for a coworker. LOL

Seems like a rag quilt would be the most forgiving for mismatched seams You can't be perfect right away! Chalk it up to practice and you're guaranteed to do better next time. Anyway, the beauty of a quilt for your child is in the love, not the technique!
    - Kim

kimkolbquilts.etsy.com

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I've been quilting off and on for years and years and the other day I made a rag quilt for a twin bed and all the sudden realized it was all wonky. Upon investigation, I cut some blocks way off so nothing matches. I just finished it and threw it on the couch cause the fabric was stuff I had been collecting for a long time to make this quilt. Anyway, it's soft, warm and colorful. Everyone fights over it-lol. It happens.

Blog Entries
    Why on earth would you be embarrassed? Your 3 year old surely does not care. You' ve got to start somewhere!
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Every quilt I make teaches me something about quilting. So far my 2 and 4 year old nephews have been the beneficiaries as I know they won't notice/judge the mistakes. I'm sure your son loves his quilt and that is what is most important.

Cheers, K

Quilts are gifts of love, short and simple. Your son will forever treasure his gift from his mom, you can be sure of it! Pat yourself on the back for a job well done, in pleasing your son, and go on to the next quilt!

WHAT! You dared to make a quilt before you were an expert quilt maker?????

Wait a minute.... what's wrong with that statement.....

It was made with LOVE that is all the counts. just keep quilting and you will find thing that work better for you. HAPPY QUILTING
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

My quilts are far from perfect but they are all loved. That's the most important thing.

Quilting is my therapy

Don't ever put yourself or your quilting down! That said, your son will love his quilt. Be proud of it. Congratulations on finishing your first quilt and for learning to use a sewing machine also. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your quilts.

Kat

Practice makes perfect - each quilt you make will have "mistakes" in it - don't worry about it. People will only notice if you point out the areas in question. Most people look at the big picture and never notice the little glitches. In one class I took the instructor had an award winning quilt - until she pointed out an error no one, even the judges, noticed that one area of the quilt was pieced incorrectly. It happens to all of us.

Blog Entries
    Congrats on your first quilt. We all start somewhere. I think back now on my first quilt and know there were lots of mistakes but choose to dwell more on how I've improved. When I comment on my boo boos with who I consider expert quilters they all say nothing is perfect, so my imperfections are becoming less important. Keep at it, regardless of the boo boos, it is so rewarding and down right fun and you meet the nicest people who share the love of quilting.

You made a rag quilt for your little son....your very first quiltmaking experience AND it was your first time with a sewing machine?? You truly rock! I am impressed that you handled a heavy project, too. You did good, and your son will have wonderful memories of snuggling with his quilt!

Blog Entries
    They aren't mistakes, they are learning experiences. You'll be surprised after a few more quilts how much you will have improved. Happy Quilting and welcome to the board.

Blog Entries
    That is how you learn...I gave my boys my first quilts they were both in there 20's...they loved them mistakes and all...I doubt they noticed my errors, except for one, my binding on one started to come off...I resewed but it horrible, I may just have o take it back and redo it...but he never complains....as I get better and do different types of quilts I make them new ones too and now they have bindings that look good. Your son is 3....just wait he will have tons and treasure them all.

With a rag quilt, when those seam allowances fluff out, nobody will ever know if the seams match or not. Congratulations on making your first quilt and just know within yourself that you will get better and better, the more quilts you make.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

The quilt police will not show up and give you a ticket. I've seen some really high dollar quilts that when inspected real close I'v seen points and seams that didn't truly match up. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Enjoy you work and be proud.
    sandysews

A merry heart doth good like a medicine.

Wisdom is too high for a fool.

baby steps - Mel - welcome to your new obsession!

Blog Entries
    In 1975 I made my first quilt. It was awful. But I made it for a new nephew. The parents thought I bought it. LOL. I am doing different quilts now , art, traditional and rag. You name it I am doing it. BUT I still learn from every quilt I make. I bet when your son looks thru adult eyes he will be amazed you loved him so much that you made this special quilt for him!
    I am debating weather to teach beinging sewing this summer. I love seeing new sewers. But I not sure I am up to a class every day 4 days straight for 3 hours per day. Please keep on going.

Blog Entries
    we need to see pics! i bet it's adorale...and best of all, it was made with love....

Quote from Knitette: We all start somewhere and never forget: 'Better finished than perfect'! That and, 'A blind man would be glad to see it.'

Clever words of wisdom and yes we all had to crawl before we could walk. Every project is a learning experience, so on to your next wonderful project.

Done is GOOD. On to the next and the next... Each one will be a wonderful learning experience. Keep up the good work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast