Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: I'm embarrassed!

You are all so wonderful I love this board!

Blog Entries
    We all have to start somewhere like #1 quilt...I do not believe your 3 year old will care and if he spills something on it, it won't break your heart. He will grow to love it forever.

I'm sure your son will love and it will give you a laugh later when you have quilted longer and get more experience to compare it to.and remember no matter how long someone has been quilting we all make mistakes just some bigger than others, HAHAHA. that is why most of us have a special relationship with mr. rippit (aka seam ripper) if you want a example of foolish yesterday finished up a small quilt for my fur baby. I was putting a decorative stitch around the edges and for some reason when i went back to do the last side after answering the phone i did the whole side using the wrong stitch. so went from flowers to a serger type stitch. yep big difference but she loves it anyway.just enjoy yourself and the rest will come. also i bet it isn't as bad as you think, most of us are our own worst crictics, LOL

I am sure it is great and to your son sew perfect.

My dear Mom got me interested in quilting (even though I have sewed all my life even making most of my clothes) several years ago. She forgot to tell me that you need to square up your blocks before sewing them together, lol! She assumed that I knew this. It was a king-size scrappy string quilt for my daughter. I never told my daughter and she LOVES it all the same.
    Don't sing of yesterday; yesterday is gone. Tomorrow isn't written. Make today your song.

You made it with love for your precious son. He will love it and feel the love you've put into it when he wraps up in it.

Sewnoma, you are so right about that. I love my grandmothers quilts, and never once did I notice they weren't perfect until I began to quilt myself. I remember my grandmother saying once that her stitches weren't all that good compared to Agnes's (her oldest daughter), but they looked fine to me. I believe it is the love that goes into the quilt that shines thru.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

I have two "people" quilts I made, still in my possession (all the others I have given away). One is a denim rag (on our bed) and one an Aussie Wagga.....there's more than a few mistakes in both and some pretty creative seams....funnily enough they are both loved very much. On cold evenings the wagga is dragged outside to keep my SDILs warm...there they sit all wrapped up and petting it all the while (it has a lot of corduroy and velvet in it). The thing is love is a feeling...rather than a seeing thing

Your son will love this quilt because his mom made it. I made my son a quilt when he was a baby and he loved it. He used it for years after he was a baby. He would take it on sleep overs to friends house.... and believe me it was far from perfect but my boy thought it was better than anything I could have bought

I am sure it is a masterpiece in his eyes and most of all in his heart. As far as mistakes go, they are invisible to the ones we love, In the quilting world.
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

[QUOTE Originally Posted by Sewnoma Nobody but another quilter will ever notice, I promise you![/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, and even then most of us don't look for the oopsies just the finished item, he will love it that is for sure.

my first attempt at quilting was many many years ago. My two oldest children were 8 and 10, I allowed them to help. We cut out 4 inch (sort of ) squares, we sewed them together into strips, then sewed the strips together. nothing matched. My oldest daughter still has the quilt and treasures it. We made more than a quilt, we made memories. And it is just a warm as any perfectly pieced quilt.

Blog Entries
    The nice thing about rag quilts is that they are raggedy. Be happy that you are finished and I bet your little man loves it. Since you noticed that your seams were off, I bet yor next quilt will have more even seams. Keep up the good work.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

this was the case for me too when i first started rag quilting. i only make rag quilts, and the more you make, along the way you will discover little tips and tricks. when i sew my blocks into rows, then go to sew my rows together, i always start by matching up my first seam. then match up the seams after that. don't worry about the edges because you will sew a line of stitching around the whole outside of the quilt edge and then that will get clipped and rag, so you won't see it. i hope that makes sense, if not, please send me a message. i'll be glad to help!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3