Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm excited, but I need your help... >

I'm excited, but I need your help...

I'm excited, but I need your help...

Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 AM

I bought my DD's first machine, a basic machine where I worked with a discount. She learned to do alot of sewing but still had issues with it later on. So when it was time for an upgrade because her first machine was just not wotking right even with service, I took her to the dealer where I had purchased my best machine. I had her try out the different machines, and bought the one she liked the best. It had a few more stitches but was still listed as a basic machine. What my DD wanted was a machine that when she put her foot on the pedal, it ran without any hestitaion. that is what she found. The price and the kind of machine maybe limited buy what budget you have, but you can still get a good machine for the money.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:52 AM

I would buy her a feather weight - basic workhorse - simple - she can get a more advanced machine if she likes it
Old 02-13-2012, 12:39 PM

After not sewing for 30 years, I bought a 250.00 brother from Walmart and I was not pleased. I paid for lessons at a dealer and the very first thing that happened when we sewed several layer together is the shaft that holds the needle and foot bent. The instructor came over and straightened it with his hand. Then he said the cheaper machines were not made with the same quality steel as the ones sold by dealers. (I now know this to be true) I think the Brother would have been ok for piecing or simple garment making. But it was useless for home dec. I gave that one to my granddaught who likes light sewing and I bought a Pfaff. But I would have loved a vintage sewing machine just as well. Some of the very cheap one don't make a good seam and the tensions won't hold. I think that's the worst kind and will discourage your GD if she has a fussy machine.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:02 PM

I learned to sew on my mothers Brother in the 1970s. When I got married my hubby had bought me a sewing machine as a present prior to the wedding. Then after my kids came along, we traded that machine in on the top of the Line Viking machine at that time. I still have the Viking, plus a Brother and a EuroPro. All still work.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
The Bernette isn't a Bernina and they will tell you they don't support it if you call them.
Thanks for clearing this up. I guess I assumed too much (and you know what that makes me).
Old 02-13-2012, 01:22 PM

I got a very nice Brother with 60 stitches for $150. I think that is a reasonable price for a good beginner machine. It is a Brother CS6000i, and I do love it. I also have a Pfaff 7570 with the embroidery unit, but I wouldn't give that to a beginning sewer. I think it would thoroughly frustrate her, but my Brother would be great. I use it for my beginning sewing students, and it seems to have worked out well for beginners.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:33 PM

The Pfaff 7570 might have too many bells and whistles for a beginner. You should be able to find a basic machine that will be good for her to learn on. Most dealers have good refurbished used machines for sale.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:53 PM

Having learned from experience, I would rather have the bells and whistles on the machine than get to a point where I felt ready to try to whistle, only to discover that I couldn't because I didn't have the right equipment.

If your granddaughter is like me, she will jump into something and figure it out if she has the tools to begin with. There's nothing more frustrating than wanting to try something only to discover that your machine can't do it, you have to order a different foot, etc. If she is coming for a visit, why not spend some time with her in your sewing room teaching her the basics and then visit a few machine dealers. Once she realizes just how much fun sewing is, I bet you might be surprised at what she can accomplish. I bought a dressmaker machine, because that's what I had always used my machine for in the past. Now I'm a quilting fool! LOL
Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 PM

You might consider what shops are in her area so that she can get her machine cleaned and serviced from time to time. Once you know what they sell, seek out a "previously loved" machine from a reputable dealer in your area. Having a knowledgeable tech is so helpful!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 PM

The Janome has some nice little machines for under $150. Especially for learning on. I bought the $99 on sale for one of my DD's and she loves it. Very lightweight and basic stitches. this Christmas I bought the $179 one on sale for $129 for another DD. My machines are 2 Pfaff, Brother and a Babylock serger but they were not cheap.

Originally Posted by lfw045 View Post
I bought this machine for my daughter while visiting her in San Antonio, TX. I fell in love with it myself! It is an excellent first machine for a beginner and I would buy it for myself actually! Lightweight also so she can take it with her places if she decides on lessons.

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Janome-3128-Sewing-Machine-Standard-Sewing-Machines_stcVVproductId81913199VVcatId539684VVview prod.htm