Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm getting it!!!!

Ive been stopped for nearly 18 months! I did it with the patches and didnt find it too difficult at all. I was a heavy smoker for years and had never even thought about stopping until one Sunday night in April. I had lost my sister the previous year and I swear to this day that she was sat on my shoulder telling me not to light that cigarette up! Ive never had one since!
    Well done...just take it one day at a time....you'll do it if you're determined enough!

Karen xx

I quit 6/1/07 after 30 years of the stench and expense. I had my Dr. prescibe Chantix and it worked like a dream. I have stopped before cold turkey, I never smoked when I was pregnant, but now both my kids smoke, and my mom and sister died of lung cancer. Yeah, I know, you think the 1st death would have been enough to make me realize how stupid I was. :cry: :cry: It was time to quit for good. Once in a while I want one, but only for about 5 min and the urge passes. And its true, when you are smoking you have no idea how much it stinks. But boy, does it ever reek :shock: :shock: :shock: And let's see..$5-10 per day on smokes times 7 days a week is up to $70 a week :shock: :shock: That's a heck of a lot of fabric in anyone's book :P :P
    Stay strong, learn to speak up for yourself- (Honey, if you're going to smoke that OK, but please not near me). If you gain a few pounds (which I did), well its much easier to lose weight than fight cancer.

Best of luck to you, get on this forum if you need some support, we're here..every day, and darn near every minute!!

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by mfre42day
    You folks are such a source of inspiration! I forget that I can come here for more than just the quilting stuff!
    They say quitting smoking is harder than kicking heroin, I believe em. I took the new rx for the first month and it worked! I smoked for the first two weeks. The thing about that rx is that it got me through the worst of the physical w/d, now I just have to deal with the cravings. Sometimes they are strong and sometimes they are fleeting I just remember everything passes, I tell myself I am a non-smoker and I smell sooooo much better for it and I wait for it to pass!
    This too shall pass. You're doin' good. :D

Quote Originally Posted by mommaB
    I quit 6/1/07 after 30 years of the stench and expense. I had my Dr. prescibe Chantix and it worked like a dream. I have stopped before cold turkey, I never smoked when I was pregnant, but now both my kids smoke, and my mom and sister died of lung cancer. Yeah, I know, you think the 1st death would have been enough to make me realize how stupid I was. :cry: :cry: It was time to quit for good. Once in a while I want one, but only for about 5 min and the urge passes. And its true, when you are smoking you have no idea how much it stinks. But boy, does it ever reek :shock: :shock: :shock: And let's see..$5-10 per day on smokes times 7 days a week is up to $70 a week :shock: :shock: That's a heck of a lot of fabric in anyone's book :P :P
    Stay strong, learn to speak up for yourself- (Honey, if you're going to smoke that OK, but please not near me). If you gain a few pounds (which I did), well its much easier to lose weight than fight cancer.

Best of luck to you, get on this forum if you need some support, we're here..every day, and darn near every minute!!

Mary
    Ouch, sure hate to see the $$ that we could have been using to build up our stash! Or a functional sewing room :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by Karenmay
    Ive been stopped for nearly 18 months! I did it with the patches and didnt find it too difficult at all. I was a heavy smoker for years and had never even thought about stopping until one Sunday night in April. I had lost my sister the previous year and I swear to this day that she was sat on my shoulder telling me not to light that cigarette up! Ive never had one since!
    Well done...just take it one day at a time....you'll do it if you're determined enough!

Karen xx
    Good for you Karen. Your sister was probably prodding you but now she's a grinnin' :D My uncle had a massive heart attack and I had sympathy pains....he didn't quit, I did. It does take determination, with or without a patch or any other assist.

you guys are the best. i stopped smoking abuot 20 years ago and it was one of the best things i ever did for myself.
    be gentle with yourselves and remember if you want a ciggy really bad just skip that one and worry about the next one later. i "skipped the next one" for about 6 months before i decided that i had finally quit.
    i also asked god to make me willing to quit even if i didn't really want to. he did and here i am 20 years later. so hang in there all of you former smokers.

Quote Originally Posted by nanabirdmo
    you guys are the best. i stopped smoking abuot 20 years ago and it was one of the best things i ever did for myself.
    be gentle with yourselves and remember if you want a ciggy really bad just skip that one and worry about the next one later. i "skipped the next one" for about 6 months before i decided that i had finally quit.
    i also asked god to make me willing to quit even if i didn't really want to. he did and here i am 20 years later. so hang in there all of you former smokers.
    If we just stay focused ahead, what a reward to be smoke free! And yes, God is the biggest help. :D But, we still have our part to do. Glad you made it too. :wink:

SEWJOYCE--that's the medicine the Dr. gave my Mother and it worked!! I've heard the same report from alot of other people too. So, good luck with it...you should do fine!
    I LOVE that so many people are quiting...here in Illinois our no smoking in public places law went into effect in Jan. and it sure makes being in restaurants more comfortable for non-smokers and people with lung problems.
    YAY!!!! for all of you that are quiting or have quit...here's a BIG PAT ON THE BACK...way to go!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda
    SEWJOYCE--that's the medicine the Dr. gave my Mother and it worked!! I've heard the same report from alot of other people too. So, good luck with it...you should do fine!
    I LOVE that so many people are quiting...here in Illinois our no smoking in public places law went into effect in Jan. and it sure makes being in restaurants more comfortable for non-smokers and people with lung problems.
    YAY!!!! for all of you that are quiting or have quit...here's a BIG PAT ON THE BACK...way to go!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Thanks Belinda. I hope the Chantrix works as well for me as it did your mom! (I'm on my 4th day of it -- target quit date is this Saturday):D

I quit 6 years ago on July 20. I went to a hypnotist. I'm not sure why that worked, but it did. None of the other methods I had ever tried lasted. But this time I made the decision to never ask for even one puff from any smokers I was around. My downfall in the past was OP's (other people's). I quit when my son and his wife were expecting my first grandchild. He is the 6 1/2 year old in my avatar lying on the quilt I made for him last Christmas. And it doesn't smell like smoke. I spend my extra money on quilting. But I can't imagine that I spent as much on smoking as I have spent on quilting. I guess I just switched my addiction. If I took a vote though, I'm sure my family would prefer my latest addiction.
    Congratulations to all of you quilting quitters out there. Go Us!!!

Linda

I've read all of this about kicking the smoking habit. I've never, yes never, smoked, but kicking the eating habit is also very hard. I'm on weightwatchers for the FOURTH time. Losing weight would benefit my heart and my joints, but when that urge to stuff my mouth comes, it takes a lot of talking to myself. Yes, working in the sewing room which is away from the kitchen is a plus. Just yesterday I was working on that UFO challenge and my stomach was a-growlin'. I kept saying to myself, "just this one piece more." Then, I'd grab the next piece and say, "Ill do one more." When I noticed, it was mid-afternoon and I hadn't had lunch yet.
    You smokers who are working on stopping, keep up the good work. We're all pulling for you.

I am also a quiter. It's been 4 years for me. I still think about having one every now and then. Of course, I never let myself get that far. Stay strong!!! You can do it!!!

I quit almost 6 years ago, and it is harder than anything else to accomplish. I used patches, gum all kinds of stuff, over a five year period and 10 stop smoking times. I still think about having a smoke, it just all of a sudden hit me.....I know it would be horrible so take a few deep breaths and get busy. I coughed about a year after I quit. I have Asthma with COPD....it appeared a year after I quit. I still can breathe better than when I smoked. I was a 35 year smoker. My one regret is that I did't do it sooner.

Don't let the cigarette companies win, this is one part of your life you can control.....you be the boss :wink:

Amy
    :roll: I gave up smoking 20 yeras ago, never went back.I did it cold turkey.God helped me do it,I could not have done it alone......I wish you the best of luck,its worth it. Amy
    P.S. EXERCISE does wonders,I walked around the block when I wanted to smoke..............

Gail,
    I too have an eating thing. I did ww once on my own and lost 35 lbs I managed not to find for 5 years and a second time I did it and lost 30 lbs, then I fell and broke both elbows and I found the 30 lbs and more very quickly. WW is awesone, I love those shakes and their itty bitty snack bars, mostly though I love that the whole family can eat the same thing in different portions and that ya get to shop for the same stuff at the same place for everyone! You keep losing, I'll keep not smoking and then I'll join you when you are a lifetime member and I need to get there again!

mfree42day, I AM a lifetime member (IDid it the first time.) Maintained for a few months, then started sliding up again. When it gets too bad (HA), I go back for another boost. I agree with you, that WW is the way to go. It's kicking the habit of always having to have food or beverage in the mouth. I WON'T give up. We have an excellent leader this time. She is an inspiration to me. She has lost 109 pounds since 1984 and HAS KEPT IT OFF. Awesome. Perhaps this time, I'll reach that goal and keep it there. Thanks for the kind words. Gail

Such strong women kicking all these non-essentials from our lives. Keep up the good work! I'm inspired! Being healthy is a destination and it looks like everyone is on board. We need more time to quilt!

I'm booting this back up or as they say 'bump'...I ran across this not knowing what it was about. And, for all of you that have quit, are going to quit or just plain want to quit...I think all of these posts are such an inspiration to us all!! Since it's been a month, I am also checking in to hear how all are doing now! If you ran off the track, maybe rereading or talking about it would get you back on:))I applaud all!! And, I think any time anyone puts it 'out there'...for others to do better too.....I stand in awe!! Skeat

Sorry to say I've regressed a little. Haven't been able to make the meetings each week, so my immediate goal is to just get myself to each meeting. Journaling seems to be more effective for me, so I need to get back in the habit.

Good job GailG! Today is always a great start!:))Skeat

The economy forced me to give up formal WW..couldn't spare the $44 a month. Its been 6 weeks or so and I haven't put any back on, but I haven't lost any either :( :( I'd love to drop another 30, but I feel its going to be really hard. I tend to lose it more through exercise than restricted eating. Maybe because if I'm not moving, I'm munching!!! I do not take food in the sewing room, so that helps :D :D And now that the humidity has gone down, I get out and walk more I'm telling you..heat,humidity and 50 year old women do not mix :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm a terrible journaler, that would probably help alot..we struggle, but we're gonna make it :D :D

mommab, wish you were here to walk with me. Maybe, then, I'd make myself go. And then we could talk "quilts." :lol:

They are working on smaller pockets together over on this post at: http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/11343.page didn't know if you knew? They have been very motivating:))

I'm still doing fine, in fact it's not very often I even think about cigarettes these days! I bought a new sewing machine with the money I saved!
    The problem I have now is trying to lose the weight I put on when I stopped! lol

Karen xx

GOOD LUCK to all the "quiters" I never smoked so I dont know what its like but my Mom died of lung cancer, step mom of COPD and Dad is 1 year clean of throat cancer.

Yall can DO IT !~!~!~! I am cheering yall on :thumbup: :thumbup:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast