Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm going to have to buy DH another motorbike now........... >

I'm going to have to buy DH another motorbike now...........

I'm going to have to buy DH another motorbike now...........

Old 01-18-2016, 10:10 AM

[COLOR=#362F2D]>>>>do you know how long it takes to melt a big black iron shaped moosh into your nylon carpet? A split second..that's all!
Old 01-18-2016, 11:19 AM

Ohhhhhhh mme3924......ouch!
Old 01-18-2016, 11:39 AM

I think I may have heard you when you screamed. Seriously, what a horrible accident but it can be repaired. You might what to get something like a plastic chair mat used in offices and place it under your ironing station. At least if the iron fell, it would hit the plastic and you could grab it before damaging your carpet. Although, not sure if that plastic would stick to your iron.

I don't have room in my small sewing area for ironing so I get a lot of exercise going back and forth to my laundry room. I keep saying I'm going to turn my LR into my DR and make my DR my sewing area. Maybe one day.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:42 PM

I'm so sorry that happened, but thank God you were there when it fell! Imagine if it had caught the carpet on fire! Carpet burns fast! The whole house could've gone up in flames. For that reason, I would not put plastic down or even a throw rug. Maybe a silicon baking mat ?
Old 01-19-2016, 04:05 AM

Don't give up hope. Most of the time carpets can be repaired with a patch. My daughter bought a house where the previous owner's dog had chewed a hole in the carpet in the middle of the room. They had tried to patch it but it looked terrible. The person who we hired to clean the carpet also did carpet repair. He used a piece from the closet where it wasn't noticeable to take some and put it in the spot where the dog chewed. When he was done you had to get down on your hands and knees and rub the carpet to search for the patch. Call around and find someone who does carpet repair. You probably have some scraps left from installing the carpet or a spot like a closet that some can be used.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

If the burn isn't to deep you can carefully cut the burn off.( like a hair trim,holding the scissors sideways) Then if necessary take a little paint and touch up any black mark. OR maybe move the sewing table over the burn and wala no more burn.lol.Kinda like turning up the car radio to fix tat knocking noise,lol Good luck
Old 01-19-2016, 07:17 AM

Sew a label over it??
Old 01-19-2016, 11:00 AM

So sorry you had a mishap, but look on the bright side, you could have been somewhere else in the house when one of the furbabies knocked it over.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:34 PM

A) I'm still waiting to hear about how a motorbike figures into this and B) if you put one of those plastic chair mats down under your ironing board put an old throw rug on top of it. It's way easier to clean the melted carpet off the iron than it is to get all that plastic off. I have melted both once or twice. The carpet was easier to fix than the cleaning of my favorite old iron.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:53 PM

Walmart carries the silicone iron pads; I think around $6.