Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: I'm jumping in..starting my journey into developing a scrap system

butterflies5518

what high school did you go to? (teehee)

(i went to nerinx hall in the 70s
    )

You've got some great fabrics there.....now don't let "paralysis by overanalysis" set in....keep up the momentum and keep us posted. Your enthusiasm is infectious....I'm going to start ironing and cutting this afternoon....have a string quilt on the go.

The hot iron cleaner works well. I havn't tried the magic eraser yet but will. I also use dryer sheets "Bounce". Used and new have both worked for me.

Scrap system?I have been quilting for awhile and the only system that I have developed is tojust try to keep from being enveloped by the hoard. I t doesn't alway work. Scraps mate in the dark.

My grandma use to cut up used clothes! she made some amazing things! including quilts ... I still have one of them!some day I will try to take a pic of it and post it on here.

Well, your project is certainly monumental.....something I would never think of doing.......It is so much easier to go to the local LQS or Walmart or wherever and purchase new fabric for a project...or just to buy it because you like it and worry about what it will turn into when the time comes. I would sooner leave the clothes at Goodwill for the people who really need to purchase clothes at a reduced price........I do go to the local Goodwill......ours, it seems, does not have any fabric donations, not yet anyway...but I love to look at the dishes, glassware...sometimes pick up an odd serving dish or piece of stemware......
    As far as fav authors of quilt books.....Eleanor Burns is great for beginners......go to Connecting
    Threads website for good books of various types of quilts and their prices are always good......
    ...and BTW I bet you have a great collection of buttons now that you have cut up all that clothing..........those would look good in centers of yo-yos, oops!!! another project........

I don't have to buy anything to make scraps out of. I am on my 7th quilt this year using up scraps from previous quilts I have made. It is getting a bit boring and I am itching to cut up some of the many, many yards of fabrics I have. Which in turn will make more scraps.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Hi from the foothills of California! We have a Good Will outlet (hours from me over at the coast) but the stuff is $2.00 a pound! I found some fabric and met a lady who happened to come on a day they put out someone's whole stash of donated fabric. Needless to say I was green with envy. I use "Faultless Sizing fabric finish" and my iron doesn't complain. I found it at my local thrift store, half-price. For me, the way to use old clothing is to cut out what I can in a few seconds and toss anything that is too time consuming. Loved making pieced pillow tops out of my little boy's outgrown shirts way-back-when! Blessings on all your creativity!

Before I started my scrap system, I saw a quilt, at the quilt guild Sew and Tell. It was made with a 2 1/2" block, with a strip 1 1/2" sewn around it. So when I cleaned up my scraps, I cut everything either into 2 1/2 in blocks, or 1 1/2" strips, and started making those blocks. So when I read about Bonnie Hunters Method, I was already started. Now I make random 9 patches, 4-patches. I guess I have several scrappy quilts going on by just using the blocks as leaders and enders. I purchased the book leaders and Enders, and in my opinion it is a must have book. I love that book. I am addicted to scraps also, and I love it.
    Each day is a blessing, so do something you love each day.

Hi Purple Petal.

I am near St. Louis (St. Charles) MO, also and what a coincidence - I am working on organizing my scraps, too. I have not been to the GW outlet, but drive by it all the time. I agree with you and others that playing with the scraps is part of the fun. I feel totally satisfied just going into the sewing room and cutting and organizing.
    I wish someone would come up with a way to do a scrap swap. That is how addicted I am.
    Thanks for the additional inspiration. I think I will go downstairs to cut some strips.

sew4nin--if you like to dig, GW is a blast--got some good quality clothing--exactly what I needed--all of the rejects from
    other GW goes there b/f going into land fills, so I don't feel I am taking from others who need clothing.
    skjak--thanks, haven't heard of Mary Ann Kenney

par4theday--I think I'll get the Leader/Ender book

Omabi--Oh I wish now I had kept my son's clothes to make quilts--welcome to the board, I feel honored mine was your first post!

jungle--you must have made lots of quilts

jeanneb52--"mating" in the dark-- too funny

georgiamarbles--would love to see your grandmas quilt, hope you post pic--i'm a newcomer to QB as well, love this place--very welcoming

GeriB--YoYos & buttons--yet another project!!

Wonder why dryer sheets work? this suggestion has come up a lot. I tried it and it works..

Here's my lessons:
    I'm still cutting.
    I wake up thinking about my fabric, and it's the first thing I do when I get my chores done and my other work finished. I look at every piece of fabric I see (and I mean every piece--do you know what I mean) & my mind tries to figure out how I'll cut it up. Oh the madness!

I still have several men's shirts to deconstruct & then I'll be able to start sewing

After cutting strips (mainly 1 1/2, 2, & 2 1/2"), I'm going to change my cutting strategy & go for cutting bigger rectangle pieces, I want to start sewing & playing. I told my self I can't start till I finish cutting.

My biggest piece is a 3xL men's shirt back, it came out to a 28" x 28" square
    yokes cut into 2" and 1 1/2" strips
    sleeves come out to be 20" X 10" depending on size
    Pockets, cuffs, are good for smaller squares that I cut while I watch TV
    My hands are always busy with cutting something
    I like cutting the smaller pieces, not so much the strips,
    I like the feeling I get when I see the piles stacked neatly waiting for me.
    I feel like I am "stocking" my sewing pantry
    I feel very productive & peaceful.

My husband is happy that I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by fayzer View Post
    I can't wait to see what you create with your hard work.
    Same here... woo hoo! I really admire your dedication! I wish some of it would rub off on me & my scraps! I used to be so good about cutting my scraps into a variety of shapes the minute they became scraps & now I just throw them into a giant Rubbermaid tote. And the weird thing is, I don't mind cutting fabric (I know some people hate to do it). Oh well... someday...
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Power Poster
    There is someone on the board that made a quilt with mens shirts (I think) and she cut the shirts up and used the botton section for sashing. I hope someone can find that picture to show you.
    SueDor

here's a graph (I obsessed about) to come up with the scrap sizes to cut:

Beginning Unfinished Blocks
    HST 4Patch 9Patch 16 Patch

1.5" 2.5" 3.5" 4.5"

2.0" 1" 3.5" 5.0" 6. 5"

2.5" 1.5" 4.5" 6.5" 8.5"

3.5" 2.5" 6.5" 9.5" 14.5"

since most quilt patterns can be graphed into geo shapes of HST, blocks, & combos thereof
    my thinking was, I can just pull my precut strips, combine them to my heart's content & be confident they'll all go together. I don't even need to have a pre conceived pattern. I can just play till I decide how I want to put them together. this idea appeals to me immensely.

Last edited by PurplePetal; 06-06-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: graph didn't come out right.

sorry, i tried to fix the graph but it wouldn't accept my edit. I'll try something else to make it come out right

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SueDor View Post
    There is someone on the board that made a quilt with mens shirts (I think) and she cut the shirts up and used the botton section for sashing. I hope someone can find that picture to show you.

here you go sue. i think this is what you are talking about.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t183515-5.html

here are a few others:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...168930-13.html
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t153884-7.html
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...-t42426-5.html

there are plenty others on this board. i searched on 'men's shirts quilts'.

oh and here's a tute on how to cut men's shirts up for quilting.
    http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.co...e-thrifty.html
    Last edited by Havplenty; 06-06-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Name:  PurplePetalGraph.png
Views: 75
Size:  26.4 KB here it is, finally got it right, had to take a pic of it and rename it as a png

Blog Entries
    ok one last one and this one is made from hawaiian shirt prints. i really like this quilt and this one will cause me to start scouring thrift stores for hawaiian print shirts.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...-t92847-6.html

p.s. you all are enablers. i wasn't looking for any additional projects to start as i got my hands full now with projects and two additional ones floating around in my mind to design. now i am thinking about these shirts and my mind is spinning. oh the possibilities. i will certainly consider shirts for male oriented donation quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    here you go sue. i think this is what you are talking about.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t183515-5.html

here are a few others:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...168930-13.html
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t153884-7.html
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...-t42426-5.html

there are plenty others on this board. i searched on 'men's shirts quilts'.

oh and here's a tute on how to cut men's shirts up for quilting.
    http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.co...e-thrifty.html
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)

mary, thanks so much, wish i had seen the "how to cut up tut" (before) good lesson, now I have it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePetal View Post
    mary, thanks so much, wish i had seen the "how to cut up tut" (before) good lesson, now I have it.
    heidi i am sure there is more than one way to cut up a shirt. this is just one tute that was posted on this board on cutting up men's shirts. here is a quick way to save the tute into a pdf file. all you need to do is have your tute open and have the joliprint website open, copy the web address over to the joliprint website, click the correct things and it will turn your tute into a pdf that you can save.

****NOTE***: let me say that this is just one way to save web tutes. i know there are many other options available to save web items.
    My Quiltboard Blog

Going through my scraps I found I had a lot of triangles. I put them in stacks of similar size and use them for beginners and enders. Then when I have a few odd minutes I trim them to the nearest size, ie. 1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2" etc. There are so many designs you can make with hst's. If I have 4 of the same 2 fabrics/colors I make pinwheels. Then it doesn't take long to make a baby quilt because the pinwheels are already made. Just add sashing and/or borders.

Such an ingenious thought!! I've collected old clothing from the goodwill on half-price saturday. Really took home some beautiful fabrics, clothing and such that I can't wear of course but even the mattress pads with stretched out elastic can be used as nice insides for a thick cozy quilt!
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

Blog Entries
    purplepetal and my other st. louis area quilters there is a quilter looking to lighten her load of fabrics. hopefully there are some goood deals there.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/art/3098854097.html
    My Quiltboard Blog

I too struggled with "what if I cut it up, then wanted a bigger size, so I comprimise... I save the back (largest piece) as a whole piece, and cut the rest up. Best of both worlds...

I LOVE having a goodwill outlet nearby. Ours charges 50 cents per item, but still a bargain when fabric is upwards of $7 a yard most places

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3