Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm jumping in..starting my journey into developing a scrap system

Walmart has a good iron cleaner paste, it is by the starch.

Wishing you luck, both with your quilt and getting your iron clean.

I love that you are using the scrap system from Bonnie Hunter. I discovered it a little over a year ago and started using the system. You will certainly enjoy making her quilts. I made a Bricks and Stones quilt from scraps that were in my aunt's quilts. Most of them were from the 50's to 80's. It looks great! I'm working on a spider web from her site. I also made a string quilt. I love being scrappy and doing "economy" quilting.

I have two kitchen garbage can sized bags full of fabric ready to cut. This summer while I'm not teaching school I plan on doing a full day a week or every two weeks just cutting scraps. That should make a dent in the bags. I'm so happy to have a system for scraps. I keep on seeing quilts that I can make scrappy with my stash!
    http://q-nonnie.blogspot.com

I have this rope in my hands. I can't figure out whether I found a rope or lost my horse.

Blog Entries
    purplepetal i'm in st. louis too. i didn't know there was a goodwill outlet here but i often do not go to the thrift stores because the many different aromas play havoc with my asthma.

good luck with your organizing system. it seems you are off to a good start. i have never deconstructed clothing for a quilting purpose and it hasn't occurred to me to buy clothing for the purpose of quilting though i know many quilters do. i am one who repurposes my clothing by taking it to a resale shop or dropping it off at a thrift store. i have some clothing now that i need to rehome but perhaps i will take another look at them and see what real favorites in the bunch i can cut up and put into my quilts. for removing the buttons i wonder if using one of the eyebrow razors would be easiest to slice them right off. i have many buttons and they are in large tackle boxes (and some plastic bags and a vase). i use to collect them but never thought to cut them off clothing. oh well.

on cutting up fabric, i have spent the last 2 weeks cutting fabric squares from 2.5" to 5". for the 1.5" i have found it more useful to cut these into strips. i am working on 2 postage stamp quilt projects and i started out by cutting 1000's of 1.5" squares. after sewing 1000's of these together, experience has taught me it is better to strip piece them so now i have 100's (if not 1000's) of 1.5" strips. my 2 quilts will use 20,000+ squares so i anticipate using all of those strips. as for the other squares, i am finding it easier to just grab cut up squares to start on a project. there are specific quilts i had in my project notebook that i cut all the squares for and they are in zip bags waiting on their turn.

regarding your iron, from my garment sewing days i learned to always use a pressing cloth. sewing clothing you work with a lot of interfacing and it can gum up an iron quickly. i always had a tube of hot iron cleaner handy but using a pressing cloth works. i don't use spray starch for quilting, it bothers my asthma (the flourocarbons) but i imagine a pressing cloth should also help with this or perhaps letting the fabric dry before pressing it would help. but certainly replacing gummed up irons can be an expensive venture. find a cleaning/preventive measure first.

quilting is a journey and a wonderful constant learning experience. for as many quilters as there are, they are at least that many different techniques to arrive at the same place. opinions will vary. as you experiement, you will find the techniques that work best for you. tips are invaluable. some you will find that you really need to jot down for future reference. for example, recently i saw on a blog a quicker way to do triangle corners using blue painter's tape. the standard way is to draw a diagonal line on the back of the square and sew down that line. well i have 2 projects on tap that are using 100's of triangle corner blocks and i really did not want to draw that many lines. the tip was to line up a piece of painter's tape on your sewing machine in line with your needle and guide your fabric along the line. 250 triangle corners later it works like a charm. i kept measuring to make sure i was on the diagonal and yep i was. see pics.

good luck with your quilt journey and perhaps we can catch up with one another in st. louis. i hang out sometimes with the modern quilt guild, meetings in richmond heights. and i met a wonderful quilter this past weekend (i bought a sewing machine from her) who hangs out at bits & pieces quilt quild and jackman's (lqs) monthly quilting ventures. i hope to see you around.

mary
    Name:  blue tape.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  93.3 KBName:  corner triangles.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  137.4 KB
    Last edited by Havplenty; 06-04-2012 at 06:45 AM.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

While picking your pounds of fabric, don't forget the 100% cotton sheets, bedskirts, pillowcases and curtains!!! Great for quilting and much easier to deconstruct than clothing.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    As many others said, this was a great post to read. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. For the iron problem, I also use the Magic Eraser. I had some fusible stuck to my iron and the eraser took it all right off. And about your 1/4" "problem". Bonnie Hunter did a post not too long ago about a tool called Machine Seam Gauge & Adhesive Guide. I immediately bought one as I have several machines that all sew a bit differently. This little tool is great for figuring out how to get a 1/4" (or some other sizes) seam allowance from your particular machine and foot .... and it only cost a few bucks!!! One of her readers mentioned using Scotch Reusable Strips for lightweight mounting (the kind for mounting pictures and such on the wall, I think) to mark the 1/4" on the machine bed rather that the adhesive strip that comes with the tool (or if that strip wears out) because they can be removed without leaving a residue. And yes, I love all the great information that is posted on the QB too. And I really love when quilters share information about what worked and what did not worked for them in the quilting process. Welcome aboard and enjoy!

I haven't read every single reply here, and maybe this has been said, but there is a great book - "Scrap Therapy - Cut the Scraps" by Joan Ford. She has a system where she cuts all her scraps into 2", 3-1/2" and 5" squares. When you think about it these sizes can be combined into tons of different blocks. I recently spent a week cutting all the scraps I had stored in a clothes hamper into these square and now they are all neat and tidy and waiting to be used in some great scrap quilt. Now when I finish a project, I cut the scraps into squares right away (if they're smaller than a fat eighth) and store them in the appropriate boxes and I'm all set!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Use dryer sheets to clean your iron.
    Just iron over new unused dry sheet, not only does it clean your iron, it also makes the room smell great
    Last edited by Billy; 06-04-2012 at 07:22 AM.
    Billy Jean

Blog Entries
    You are off to a great start! Keep up the good work and I know with the QB you will always find lots of encouragement!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

This is a wonderful idea. I bought some Hawaiian shirts at thrift stores and garage sales because I want to make a Hawaiian scrappy quilt. Too bad my time is so short here...they are very common for a $1. A man's shirt makes quite a few strips. we leave in a few hours for Poland, but I have some suitcases full of fun fabric..including quite a few different Hawaiian fabric scraps!

PuplePetal, I am close to Columbia, in the middle of an Amish community. I am in the process of putting all my fabric on boards. I just didn't know what to do with or how to sort the small stuff. I think sorting them by color is a great idea.
    Last edited by Donna in Mo; 06-04-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Good luck and welcome to your new addiction! I think this is one of those journies that you have to find your own way. What works for me might be totally opposite to what works for you. After you've been into it a bit, you will see what works and what doesn't. Happy quilting! P.S. It really is okay to "pet" your fabric.

Good Luck! Can't wait to see your quilts!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Wow!! i just got home and looked at this post..what a wonderful group of people..so much kindness & generosity, thank you!

My iron is cleaned. I didn't want to leave my project yesterday and i needed my iron (Promise backrub bribe wasn't effective with DH). I scrubbed it with salt and vinegar. my husband told me his grandmother used salt and vinegar on everything, it worked mostly.
    Lesson learned....as well as 3 other ways to clean it thx to QBers....and how to prevent it in the first place--Press Cloth. I picked up these items today.

great tips on the 1/4" seam guides. Mary--the painter's tape looks nifty, Bonnie Hunter suggested bunion pads...tried it, didn't work for me (on my machine,,not my feet!) I've deemed the scant 1/4" as "advanced" & it'll come to me...maybe. I'll be grateful if and when I consistently achieve it. My HST/QST need work..some are under or over or just right, they AVERAGE together!!. Your blocks are amazing!! ...and would love to meet up, I live close to Wash U... Donna..where in Mo are you?

The cutting off buttons while watching TV & then keeping them on safety pins will be a "next time" experience, ziegamomma!!

I'm going to "pet" my fabric now and try to get everything deconstructed so I can start to cut them up.

Any cutting tips to keep the strips consistently accurate?

(still trying to figure out how to get the pics off my phone, nephew is going to help me.)

Blog Entries
    Here's proof that the scrap storage system from Bonnie Hunter works - I joined an on line mystery quilt project that, as a first step, said "cut 682 two and a half in squares". I said - no prob! I've already got them cut! And here's the result:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePetal View Post
    ...I've deemed the scant 1/4" as "advanced" & it'll come to me...maybe. I'll be grateful if and when I consistently achieve it. ...and would love to meet up, I live close to Wash U...
    if you can attach a seam gauge to your machine or use double sided tape or whatever works as a stop gap for you, you can achieve almost perfect 1/4" seams. when i use my seam gauge attached to my machine, i take my ruler and place my needle right at the 1/4" mark then i slide it just a scounch to the left (right inside the 1/4" mark) to mark a scant 1/4" line. i then tighten my seam gauge right to the edge of my ruler, sew a few seams to check my scant mark. presto!!! keep experimenting and you will find your technique.

i am close to wash u also. we may be neighbors and just not know it.

mary
    Last edited by Havplenty; 06-04-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
    Here's proof that the scrap storage system from Bonnie Hunter works - I joined an on line mystery quilt project that, as a first step, said "cut 682 two and a half in squares". I said - no prob! I've already got them cut! And here's the result:
    what mystery pattern project was this & on what website? i just got this pattern as a freebie pattern in my email here. i have a bunch of 3.5" squares cut that i received in a swap that i will be using instead of the 2.5" one the pattern calls for so my quilt will be larger that the 44" x 44". that works for me so i won't need to enlarge through borders.
    My Quiltboard Blog

Blog Entries
    I'm just going to suggest that rather than starching everything (starch=corn starch=corn=food for silverfish and other little critters) try using sizing. I like Mary Ellen's Best Press but I'm not sure what it's made of. Good luck with this huge project. Won't it be fun to sew once you are all organized!
    Create with joy in your heart!

here are pics: hope they come thru, i did this over the phone w/nephew.

i thought i would keep the white eyelet pants with the top but it looked frumpy on me.
    one of the pics is of a robe made from japanese fabric
    there are random cuts from collars & sleeves to show the colors i got including chartreuse.
    the other pic show PJs, linen 3x man's shirt, hawaiian shirt, purple plaid bedsheet, little girls pants, yellow sundress.

i tried for a mix of colors and neutrals. hard to believe i spent $9 for all this fabric.

has anyone used eyelet in a quilt block?

(Mary--I live in the DeMun neighborhood. My husband is a profesor @ SLU & we work together near the science center).
    small world...would love to meet you!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    what mystery pattern project was this & on what website? i just got this pattern as a freebie pattern in my email here. i have a bunch of 3.5" squares cut that i received in a swap that i will be using instead of the 2.5" one the pattern calls for so my quilt will be larger that the 44" x 44". that works for me so i won't need to enlarge through borders.
    It was from Quilter's Club of America - just finished up and all the finished quilts will start to be shown there.

Welcome to the board, Purple petal!!! Sometimes the best way is just to jump in -- don't get too hung up on all the cutting!! The sewing is the fun part!! BTW, where is the outlet Goodwill? I'm from Jeff City, and visit family in SL fairly often..

committing to a scrap system is a huge undertaking when your first starting..wish I had done it. =) That being said...don't be afraid of ANYTHING! I did that just like you did and psyched myself out for almost 5 years. I was cookin' along doing everything..including Triangles..then I started reading "the Rules". Oh My Word! Its crazy isn't it? Now the only rules I follow are my own. If and when I EVER make quilts for competition I will worry about that stuff but for now...I'm just makin' Quilts. =)
    A bed without a Quilt is like a Sky without Stars..Sew On!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When my iron gets gunky, I first run it over a few USED dryer sheets. Usually that does the trick. As for the scant 1/4" - just don't use a pattern first time out that requires anything scant. Consistent is way more important and that is something to learn by doing. You can watch all the youtube videos in the world and never know how it feels or how your machine handels things. So good for you on jumping in. Happy cutting, happy pressing, and happy sewing.

LTeacher--the goodwill outlet is in the former Famous Barr warehouse. E 64, exit vandeventer left --then stay in right lane for a half block, take a quick right--immediately b/f the hiway overpass--go down 1-2 blocks and it's on the right side. very bare bones but air conditioned, they bring out stuff every few minutes. it gets very crowded. students/artists like it for bargains as does everyone else.

RkayD--I got scared of the rules too... no mistakes means no learning ...i'm jumping in!!

MadQuilter..I "feel" your moniker!! thanks

As I am cutting things up, I'm learning used clothing needs lots and lots of sizing.
    The fabric may be cheap, but the labor (time investment) is intense.
    I'm going to be more selective next time.
    Perhaps look for more out of the ordinary stuff that I can't buy in yardage.
    (but I'm having trouble cutting into the vintage japanese fabric I scored on at Goodwill --another lesson in uncertainty)

I'm looking for block patterns to have fun with. no quilt in mind, just practice making fun blocks with my strips & blocks; I'm looking in Mary Ellen Hopkins It's OK if you sit on my Quilt book. I'm going to look for the other books mentioned earlier, when I complete my cutting goals.
    Last edited by PurplePetal; 06-04-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Wow, I am super impressed by your diligence of making your stash. I love that your sharing your experiences - that's how we all learn - by sharing. I too am a "St. Louis Girl" born and bred, now a "Native Texan". Please keep us posted on your progress and thanks for the "Show Me" attitude! You go girl!
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast