Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm jumping in..starting my journey into developing a scrap system >

I'm jumping in..starting my journey into developing a scrap system

I'm jumping in..starting my journey into developing a scrap system

Old 06-04-2012, 07:09 AM
KLO

As many others said, this was a great post to read. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. For the iron problem, I also use the Magic Eraser. I had some fusible stuck to my iron and the eraser took it all right off. And about your 1/4" "problem". Bonnie Hunter did a post not too long ago about a tool called Machine Seam Gauge & Adhesive Guide. I immediately bought one as I have several machines that all sew a bit differently. This little tool is great for figuring out how to get a 1/4" (or some other sizes) seam allowance from your particular machine and foot .... and it only cost a few bucks!!! One of her readers mentioned using Scotch Reusable Strips for lightweight mounting (the kind for mounting pictures and such on the wall, I think) to mark the 1/4" on the machine bed rather that the adhesive strip that comes with the tool (or if that strip wears out) because they can be removed without leaving a residue. And yes, I love all the great information that is posted on the QB too. And I really love when quilters share information about what worked and what did not worked for them in the quilting process. Welcome aboard and enjoy!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:15 AM

I haven't read every single reply here, and maybe this has been said, but there is a great book - "Scrap Therapy - Cut the Scraps" by Joan Ford. She has a system where she cuts all her scraps into 2", 3-1/2" and 5" squares. When you think about it these sizes can be combined into tons of different blocks. I recently spent a week cutting all the scraps I had stored in a clothes hamper into these square and now they are all neat and tidy and waiting to be used in some great scrap quilt. Now when I finish a project, I cut the scraps into squares right away (if they're smaller than a fat eighth) and store them in the appropriate boxes and I'm all set!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:19 AM

Use dryer sheets to clean your iron.
Just iron over new unused dry sheet, not only does it clean your iron, it also makes the room smell great

Last edited by Billy; 06-04-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:25 AM

You are off to a great start! Keep up the good work and I know with the QB you will always find lots of encouragement!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:03 AM

This is a wonderful idea. I bought some Hawaiian shirts at thrift stores and garage sales because I want to make a Hawaiian scrappy quilt. Too bad my time is so short here...they are very common for a $1. A man's shirt makes quite a few strips. we leave in a few hours for Poland, but I have some suitcases full of fun fabric..including quite a few different Hawaiian fabric scraps!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:28 AM

PuplePetal, I am close to Columbia, in the middle of an Amish community. I am in the process of putting all my fabric on boards. I just didn't know what to do with or how to sort the small stuff. I think sorting them by color is a great idea.

Last edited by Donna in Mo; 06-04-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Good luck and welcome to your new addiction! I think this is one of those journies that you have to find your own way. What works for me might be totally opposite to what works for you. After you've been into it a bit, you will see what works and what doesn't. Happy quilting! P.S. It really is okay to "pet" your fabric.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:07 PM

Good Luck! Can't wait to see your quilts!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:25 PM

Wow!! i just got home and looked at this post..what a wonderful group of people..so much kindness & generosity, thank you!

My iron is cleaned. I didn't want to leave my project yesterday and i needed my iron (Promise backrub bribe wasn't effective with DH). I scrubbed it with salt and vinegar. my husband told me his grandmother used salt and vinegar on everything, it worked mostly.
Lesson learned....as well as 3 other ways to clean it thx to QBers....and how to prevent it in the first place--Press Cloth. I picked up these items today.

great tips on the 1/4" seam guides. Mary--the painter's tape looks nifty, Bonnie Hunter suggested bunion pads...tried it, didn't work for me (on my machine,,not my feet!) I've deemed the scant 1/4" as "advanced" & it'll come to me...maybe. I'll be grateful if and when I consistently achieve it. My HST/QST need work..some are under or over or just right, they AVERAGE together!!. Your blocks are amazing!! ...and would love to meet up, I live close to Wash U... Donna..where in Mo are you?

The cutting off buttons while watching TV & then keeping them on safety pins will be a "next time" experience, ziegamomma!!

I'm going to "pet" my fabric now and try to get everything deconstructed so I can start to cut them up.

Any cutting tips to keep the strips consistently accurate?

(still trying to figure out how to get the pics off my phone, nephew is going to help me.)

Old 06-04-2012, 12:30 PM

Here's proof that the scrap storage system from Bonnie Hunter works - I joined an on line mystery quilt project that, as a first step, said "cut 682 two and a half in squares". I said - no prob! I've already got them cut! And here's the result:
Attached Thumbnails p6040153.jpg