Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm just not creative >

I'm just not creative

I'm just not creative

Old 09-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

I will take opinions, advice and insights from anyone, mull it all over and use the parts I like for a project. You can add or dismiss any information that comes your way.

It takes time to become self assured about your own creative ability.

I would suggest an on line class or LQS class that will challenge you.

Also try making a shortlist of three to five things you want to put in a quilt, for example:
1. use only three colors that are contrasting
2. use three different blocks
3. set on point
4. use red cornerstones

Now make it work! I saw this tip in a book a while back and it helped me to start designing my own stuff.

Don't dismiss any help, advice is just that, use it or don't, but keep the info tucked away for the future!
peace
Old 09-22-2014, 02:35 PM

You are creative enough to be making quilts. I think your sister's suggestions were meant in a kind way. Just because she shared her ideas does not mean you have to change from what you were planning. When she makes her quilts they will be her way. Make yours your way. If you like her idea, you can always make another one her way later if you want to.
My sister and I were complete opposites and we both made pretty quilts our way that our family loved.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:06 PM

Consider the possibility that you may be wrong about yourself. My fifth grade art teacher had me convinced that I was not in any way artistic or creative. Forty years later I designed my first quilt. Who knew?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-05-2015 at 06:16 AM. Reason: PM
Old 09-22-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
Of course you are creative. If you weren't you would be dead. It is your human heritage to be born creative, if you weren't you would not have been able to maneuver the day to day tasks needed to travel down your life's path. Your sister is creative, in her way. You are creative in your way. Comparing your self to her is like Picasso lamenting he wasn't creative like Rembrandt. We need all visions, yours is just as wonderful as anyone else's. Never tear down your own inspiration by comparisons with others. Be what you can only be, uniquely your self, only you can make a quilt in that way even if you follow a pattern or use a kit with fabric provided. If you draw inspiration from a source, don't feel guilty just remember this, All artist borrow, great artists steal. Someone very creative said that, I can't remember who exactly but it is true. We stand on the shoulders of the artists who came before us. Picasso would not have painted as he did if he had not been inspired by the way Rembrandt used light. Now aren't you tired of beating your self up? So stop already.
I love this post and couldn't agree more!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

dont compare your work to any one you are your own person and you have your own ideas i feel blessed to be able to do what i can and i dont try and compare to anyone else you have to do what works best for you.i would go with your original plan
Old 09-22-2014, 03:37 PM

Go to some quilt shows, look at some magazines, find Pinterest and scroll through the quilts and then think, "WEll, my ideas are as good or better than these" and then go for it Put those squares you have ready together the way you planned and the item you create will be a hit! froggyintexas
Old 09-22-2014, 04:22 PM

All of above comments are spot on!!I'm 71 & been there too. Big sister,little sister & had our labels also. I've learned to love the song "Let it go". Just throw up your arms & sing it away! Life is too short-make quilts & Be Happy!!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:58 PM

I had to grin at this thread--my sis is very artistic and creative. And while she excels at handwork, her machine piecing & quilting is so/sew! I am more of "technician"--which means more exactness in piecing and it sure helps with maintaining my long arm! That being said, I too would like to be more "free" in my design work, so really appreciate the ideas given for resources.

I did buy EQ7 and have 2 future designs saved that are mine and I think pretty creative. I'm also talking to some quilting buddies about starting a group that does exchanges of blocks/quilts--I heard a group present to our Guild on this and it really seemed to have opened up their thinking about their designs--and isn't that what creativity really is?
Old 09-22-2014, 08:16 PM

As the saying goes..Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one, but your is yours alone, I am a beginner and have to usually buy kits, my grand daughter then goes through my "kits" & other scraps and comes up with a beautiful quilt that all happen to be left overs from my kits. She doesn't know this & I'll never tell her. She is excellent at matching fabrics where as I am not. Your quilt will be just as wonderful as you planned it to be with or without your sisters opinions. I have cried right along with you with all of your wonderful comments here on this awesome Board, follow your heart and these advices you will do GREAT!
Jeri
Old 09-23-2014, 02:32 AM

Meaningful and truly thoughtful responses - they grab my heart! Just be true to yourself and go with the flow.