Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm just not creative >

I'm just not creative

I'm just not creative

Old 09-23-2014, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

I am sure that there are areas where you excel and your sister doesn't. Don't question the talents that GOD gave you. Just enjoy the talents that you have and Happy Quilting.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:13 AM

Yes its Yours and Yours alone... You are the one who chooses what color to start with, what color Thread and the stitches and Fabrics so don't worry about what your Sister Thinks... I have a Younger Sister who tries to steer me too..
Can't wait to see pictures of your finished project... Hugs...
Old 09-23-2014, 04:53 AM

The fact that you make things is creative. Perhaps your color ideas are still developing. I have been to classes where I like other peoples color schemes better, but mine are good too. Diane C
Old 09-23-2014, 05:27 AM

My husband is always wanting to make changes in my quilts when they are on the design board. some times I allow it other times I just say this is my quilt so it will stay the way I'm doing it. Be brave do it the way you want, it's your quilt.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:02 AM

Was it your sister's intent to coax you into doing it her way, or was it merely an idea? Thoughts from others can be good, but you have no obligation to take her suggestions. You might be selling yourself short and underestimating your creativity. Or you may be like me.....I love to quilt, but I don't have a creative bone in my body and I can't come up with original ideas at all, so I just look for pictures/patterns and follow them and just accept that I'm not creative, but that doesn't need to prevent me from enjoying quilting.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:40 AM

Relax. You may just be trying too hard. You didn't say there was a time frame you had to work around. You can be honest and tell your sister you really love her idea and maybe you'll try it another time but you think you'd like to try this one on your own. Look around in nature while you're walking......let your mind wander...think about what makes you happy... I've found you just can't force an idea. But you WILL get one and when you get do, just jump in with both feet and don't doubt yourself. If you add something and you don't like it you can frog stitch like the rest of us....you know...rip it, rip it, rip it. LOL Happy sewing!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:56 AM

Having a big flannel design wall triplezippled my creativity. I can't vision anything in my mind but on the working wall I can switch blocks and sashes and borders around all day long and get great options.. Maybe options are just a different form of creativity.

not liking your sisters suggestions is a color of a different kind.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Having a big flannel design wall triplezippled my creativity. I can't vision anything in my mind but on the working wall I can switch blocks and sashes and borders around all day long and get great options.. Maybe options are just a different form of creativity.

not liking your sisters suggestions is a color of a different kind.
If you have a (preferably digital) camera, you can take pictures of various layouts and then compare them later.

Or recreate them if one has "helpers" that decide to rearrange things !
Old 09-23-2014, 07:00 AM

I'm not an original creative type person. But I am really good at changing someone else's ideas and making my own whatever (quilt, food recipe, etc). I especially love string quilts and love to mix really bright colors that no one else would even consider. It's just me. I love the fact that string quilts don't take a lot of time cutting, measuring, whatever - I just cut foundations from an old phone book and start sewing. My daughter, on the other hand, is a match-ie/match-ie type person and this kind of sewing is not for her. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:49 AM

i have been thinking about this thread for several days, it's a great conversation that sparks the depths of many quilters!

Unlike others, I think you should go with your sister's idea, BUT, in a different way....
It was obvious to me that you liked "the spin" your sister suggested, because you said, "
She immediately made a suggestion that would make the whole thing much more exciting."

Here is my suggestion...Perhaps you might think of it this way, instead. Take her "spin" and change it, or add to it. For example, if she suggested adding 4 patch blocks, try coming up with your own "spin", such as HST, etc.

In this way, you will realize you ARE being creative, and will come full circle. Getting the positive results from a "spin", but the spin will be your own!

Just an idea. I usually try to learn from other ideas or suggestions, because I really do want to learn to be more "creative", too. "Creativity" doesn't come naturally for me, either. I really do think it's a process...I think creativity is born from layers of ideas, not just one.

Thank you for starting this very interesting thread.

Last edited by Girlfriend; 09-23-2014 at 08:09 AM.