Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm just not creative >

I'm just not creative

I'm just not creative

Old 09-23-2014, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
PS: i don't ask for advice or opinions. That way I don't feel obligated to execute others' advice. IF you expect to take their advice, do so graciously. You asked them for their input. You gave permission, in fact. If it always makes you feel inferior, don't ask. Simple..IMHO. HUGZ.
SANDY
I wasnt looking for advice and, to be fair to my sister, she wasn't intending to offer any. She expressed an interest in my project so I showed her the squares I'd cut out, we started to play with them, and she immediately saw a way to make the whole thing look much better. My reaction wasn't annoyance with her doing that, so much as a painful realisation that I'm not very good at what I've been trying to do, and I just don't have her creative eye. And then all my pleasure in the project just went, i realised I've been kidding myself, because I just don't have that creative imagination that she does.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:54 PM

Do the quilt your way and I'm sure it will be beautiful. Don't compare yourself to others, although that is sometimes easier said than done. I don't usually ask advice, I just do it my way. Post a picture when completed. We're all rooting for you!
Old 09-23-2014, 03:31 PM

"I yearn to do original, self-expressive work, but the ideas are just not there."
me thinks your ideas are there, they're just hiding! eventually it'll all work out! you'll see! if you want something bad enough, you can make it happen...can't wait to see it!
Old 09-23-2014, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by abdconsultant View Post
Surround yourself with other quilters, the best way to create is in a group. You will feed off of each other. In no time you will be able to see the possibilities in the process. it takes work and commitment. Make the quilt like you planned.
i wish I could - have been looking for a group for years. Where I live the choice is between a hoity toity one that will only admit members who meet their exacting standards and another where the group leader's agenda is to get people into her church! Oh, and I did find another one, but a single, child free woman was beyond their comprehension. All, and I mean all, their conversation was about husbands, kids and grandkids, and once they'd established I didn't have any of those, no-one had anything to say to me. It was both funny and sad. I'm pretty good at using nieces and nephews and friends' kids as a way into that sort of conversation, but it would have been very one way, as my life was obviously very strange to them and they definitely didn't want to know more!
Old 09-24-2014, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
I feel your pain...pinterest!
I don't feel like I don't have any ideas...I have tooo many and can never
decide.
Pinterest gives me tons more ideas and you would think how's that
gonna help?
Bc you can make your own pages and mix and match blocks that
can make it your own.
I hope this helps, bc I am surrounded by ppl with very made up minds
while I'm swimming in indecision. It helps me
yes, I love Pinterest and spend far too much time on there! I've used it to gather together ideas for this project, collecting pictures of quilts using similar colours, quilt patterns that I thought might work and other subjects that say something to me about what I'm trying to do.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
Here is a quote I like that might apply. I don't know the context this came from ....
"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open… No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others.” Martha Graham
thankyou - I love that. It says so much about the thrill of excitement and energy when a new idea is developing. My experience with this project feels devastating because of the speed with which that feeling vanished, and I suddenly saw a disparate collection of fabrics that didn't at all reflect my idea, and was left with the feeling that I'd been kidding myself - there was nothing original, exciting or creative there at all.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

One of my English professors gave us some very helpful information when giving us writing assignments:

1) There are very few stories/events/experiences that are "new"in this world.
2) But OUR experiences are "new" to us - and that's what we are to write about.

Examples: Giving birth, grandchildren, breaking a bone, losing a friend, having a car accident.

There still are firsts "available" - such as landing on Mars, etc. - but most of us won't be doing them.

By the way - to the original poster - are you also dealing with depression or bi-polarism? That could also contribute to the crashing from happy to not happy.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
I wasnt looking for advice and, to be fair to my sister, she wasn't intending to offer any. She expressed an interest in my project so I showed her the squares I'd cut out, we started to play with them, and she immediately saw a way to make the whole thing look much better. My reaction wasn't annoyance with her doing that, so much as a painful realisation that I'm not very good at what I've been trying to do, and I just don't have her creative eye. And then all my pleasure in the project just went, i realised I've been kidding myself, because I just don't have that creative imagination that she does.
My answer is still the same. Use your sister's suggestion and thank her for it. Then thank your lucky stars for all the good things that you do have. You have made a life for yourself. You're doing just fine. I might also suggest looking into depression thing. My husband does crashes like that and he is bi-polar and depressed. It's surprising how much a talk with a doctor about that helped him. Good luck to you.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
First let me begin my saying I love your avatar. It's beautiful. If it's made by you, it was created by you.
thankyou. It's a Hidden Wells pattern - looks complex but is actually quite easy to make as long as you're accurate.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post
. I think you should use your own ideas, make it your own even if it's not as beautiful in your eyes as your sister's design. At least it will be yours and yours alone and your sense of accomplishment will be much greater. In the end you may decide you like what you did better than you expected!
Thankyou Sarabela. That may well be the way forward. If I use my sister's idea, I dont think i'll feel much sense of accomplishment. The question now is whether I can rediscover the joy and excitement I felt previously about this project. It's gone sour now - all mixed up with feelings of inadequacy.