Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm just not creative >

I'm just not creative

I'm just not creative

Old 09-23-2014, 08:12 AM

I read your post and I want to say that sometimes it takes a lot of switching the fabrics around and adding and subtracting to get the perfect design that YOU like. If you like it that is all that matters. There is no right or wrong. If you think her design is better ask yourself why. Then rearrange your design till you get one that YOU love. Sometimes it can take me a month to get it "just right". Be patient with yourself and try this. You will know when the right design is right because it will thrill you and it is YOURS. Then you won't have to ask anyone their opinion because you have a design that YOU love and it is made by YOU....Just my thoughts.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Everyone is creative, let's get that straight first. For some it just comes easier than it does for others. One trick is to relax and let it flow, no stress, no pressure. Find a comfortable seat, enjoy a relaxing beverage, maybe a piece of chocolate (or two), jot down all your ideas...good, bad, and otherwise...and don't rate them in any way as you write/sketch. Any one of them can trigger a new thought and send you off to a whole new idea that turns out stunningly.

There are millions of ways to put fabrics together into a quilt. Your sister suggested just one of them. That leaves you all the others to play around with until your "Aha!" moment strikes...and it will. I promise.
Ghostrider is right!! Sometimes before I do anything I just put my fabric choices on a flat surface in my sewing room & when I'm relaxing go in & look @ them on & off for a few days. I move them around, pull in different ones here & there & eventually the ideas start to flow.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes I have balked at using a perfectly good idea just because of where the perfectly good idea came from.

A bit like cutting my nose off to spite my face. Doesn't accomplish much positive.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:44 AM

If we all had and wanted to use what you are calling that Creative gene, do you really think that there would be books and patterns? To me the creative part comes with choosing fabrics and then where to place them. I think it is creative genius when someone does a really simple pattern and really makes it shine and look way harder just with the use of fabrics and their placement. Heck to lot of people just being able to use a sewing machine is creative genius! Don't take your sisters suggestion so hard, some get really excited when they see beautiful fabric and just start spouting out with things you could do with it!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
I feel your pain. I, too, have no ideas of my own. Friends and family SAY I'm the creative one, yet they are delusional. Like you, I love art...love looking at it, seeing the nuances of the artist's work, and trying to figure out where their mind was as they were creating it. I am frustrated that I really CAN'T come up with ideas of my own.
When I was a kid, I was coloring with my cousin (a very logical, accountant-type). I had my crayons...the whole box...I had my coloring book, and whatever was on the page was colored simply with helter-skelter colors- a bit of blue here, some red there...it made no sense to the picture that was being colored, and every color was outside the lines. My cousin felt it was necessary to tell me how it SHOULD be done...she outlined every section with her crayon, and colored inside the lines with the color that every section SHOULD be...it didn't make me feel bad about my own work, but to this day I remember the incident. I liked MY page.

...BUT...

...there is hope for us: it comes in the form of "inspiration" and not necessarily "this is what I have for a vision and now I'm going to build it." You and I can take the world around us and can be inspired by others' work...by nature...by a stiff spring breeze laden with the scent of freshly thawed earth.

I, personally, am inspired by characters such as Anne of Green Gables (Megan Follows), and how she sees the world and all that's in it. There is a line in it when she returns home, grabs a handful of flowers by the picket fence, and presses them to her caretaker's face: "Smell them, Morilla...drink them in!" This one simple line is just so incredibly inspiring to me- taking a simple handful of wild flowers, and finding happiness and the ultimate beauty in everything that makes them unique.

This is not to say that I'm full of vim & vigor- quite the contrary. Most days I feel very mediocre at best. But I aspire to be like Anne- to find inspiration in everything, regardless of whether it is a happy occasion, or one that brings feelings of despair, and to be able to take those feelings and express them with other people, or in my hobbies.

Ever notice that there are times when you are fabric shopping and certain things catch your eye...or on another day when something that was there before but you just didn't notice it, but because of the mood you're in (today), it speaks to you and you take that 'inspiration' and build on it. This is my point in all this rambling: build on it. Take your sister's suggestions as merely that...suggestion...and if you like the IDEA, run with it. Say to yourself: "Ok, that really is a good idea, but I want to make it my own, so if I were to do something like that, I'd do it THIS way."

I don't know what her idea was, but for example...if she suggested sashing, ask yourself what kind of sashing style you like best. Go to pinterest or google other sashing ideas, border ideas, outline ideas...wide lines, thin lines, or a combination of both. Take her "idea," and make it your own. Like I said, I have no fresh ideas of my own, but give me a jumping off point, and I can run with it and come up with something that says "I made this."

Just remember that more than likely, people who have "ideas of their own" usually have experienced something you may not have, seen something you may not have, or they, too, could be running with someone ELSE's idea. Everyone is unique, and sees the world differently. How YOU see the world and what makes YOU happy will ultimately reflect in your quilts. Don't be afraid to color outside the lines.
lol, was inspired to add my 2 cents to this!
I've know ppl that would look for "good stuff" other ppl did and copy and claim
it as their own.
Does it bother me? sometimes a teen-incey bit for the lying part, but mostly I
feel sorry for them.
I love Anne of Green Gables and her energy and spirit and love of all wondrous
things.
Some day's I feel like that...lots of days I don't anymore. (health)
Keep a pad and pen in your purse or pocket, bc I have been inspired by fabrics
in a store, and then later....pffft! can't remember what the awe inspiring, best
thing I'll ever do-idea was.
I'll "borrow" to my heart's content when other's don't mind, but I'll also give
them credit where it is due.
Experiment, color outside the lines and love it BC IT'S YOURS!
Old 09-23-2014, 11:28 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the wise thoughts and suggestions. I'm away from home this week and using my iPad, which I don't find as easy as my laptop for some tasks, eg copying and pasting text into my replies, so bear with me - there's a lot I'd like to respond to, but it may take me a while.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:32 AM

I know exactly what you are talking about. I am in the same boat. I am not original. I have to have directions and patterns, even tutorials. However, I've decided that's just me and that's okay. I can still create a quilt. I am doing the cutting, piecing and reverse sewing sometimes. I give birth to the quilt. I take it from the flat paper directions and make it into a work of art that can cover a loved one. Sometimes they are even impressed with my "creation"!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
As far as I can see - you've got two options. One is to use the suggestion your sister made, make the quilt, enjoy it and learn from it for next time. Option two is to put it one one side for a few weeks and look it it again with fresh eyes.

I recently went to a lecture by Kaffe Fassett as I'm a huge fan of his work from my knitting heyday and he has an exhibition here at the moment. I went to a private showing too and was lucky enough to speak to him. Although I didn't go to his workshop, my understanding from a lady who did go, was that really, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your fabrics must have 'spoken' to you when you bought them and again when you cut them and somehow, you lost that confidence when your sister made a suggestion. If you genuinely feel you like her idea, then go with it - who's to say you might not have thought of it yourself at some point? Personally, I think you should go with your heart. Perhaps try and get a couple of Kaffe Fassett books out of the library to inspire you.
Please let us know what you decide and happy quilting!
Kniette - I went to the current Kaffe Fassett exhibition in Bath at the weekend. It was wonderful: such an explosion of glorious colour in such exciting combinations. I've been studying the pictures in 2 or 3 of his books for several months, trying to understand how he achieves his effects. One of my challenges is that I'm only using a few squares of his fabrics: most of them are others, from my stash or have been bought with this project in mind. The aim is a quilt with a similar look to it, with the bold use of colours.
I agree with you re my options now. There's a 3rd of course, to put the lot in the bin! But that would be a waste of fabric, though there have been times in the last few days when it's been my favoured option. I'll probably put the project to one side and let things settle for a while, perhaps see if I can take my sister's suggestion and adapt it in some way so that it becomes mine.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:45 PM

A bit more about the project and my sister's suggestion. I was visualising a quilt made of squares in bight pinks with some oranges and reds, then touches of greens, trying to emulate Kaffe Fassett's approach to colour, while only having a few of his fabrics among those I've acquired for this. I'm still playing with design ideas, but was inclining to 9in blocks, using mainly a basic 9-patch. But I don't want it to have an obvious regular pattern so I've been switching a few of the squares around and was also going to make some 4-patch 3.5in squares to include in the blocks and some 9in 4-patch - ad I say, it was stil very much a work in progress. My sister's simple suggestion was to place small squares in the centre of some of the patches. It brought the whole thing alive, and that's when all my confidence and excitement just drained away. The joy for me had been that at last I was doing something that was my original work, which I've wanted to do for so long. But I didn't have the inspiration to see that such a simple addition would make it so much better.
There's rational about this, I know. After all, I'm basing the quilt on Kaffe Fassett's ideas, so it's hardly truly original! But ideas come so easily to my sister and are so elusive for me. It just brought back feelings of failure and of being untalented and uncreative that dogged me for years.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:57 PM

A big question has to be - what is creativity, anyway? People tell me I'm creative because I make quilts. But my quilts are mostly other people's patterns. There's creativity in my colour choices, but otherwise it's craft/skill rather than original creativity. If I were to use the quilting cleverly to enhance the design that would be creative - but in fact I'm not a good-enough quilter to do much more than a simple design that will hold the quilt together! Which is fine - I can accept that limitation in my skills and work with it. The creativity I yearn to have is that that looks at something, whether fabric, paper, paint, natural objects - whatever- and sees original possibilities. That can play and produce something new, quirky, reflective; that can use that talent to produce work that expresses something I see, think or want to say, or which echoes or enhances some natural beauty in the world. But for me the ideas are just not there. To have the yearning without the ability to fulfill it is very frustrating.