Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm looking for a pattern for a 13 yr old grandson - >

I'm looking for a pattern for a 13 yr old grandson -

I'm looking for a pattern for a 13 yr old grandson -

Old 01-19-2010, 11:56 AM

So JJM have you decided on a pattern and fabric yet?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:05 PM

When my grandson was in his early teens, I made him a split rail quilt. It is masculine and can be used as he grows older. He still has it and he is 23. I think that the most difficult part of making a 'man quilt' is choosing the fabric. Had to find fabrics with strips, cirlces, batiks, blenders, etc. No flowery ones. I would choose a simple pattern and spice it up with a variety of fabric patterns. Good Luck and please show a picture when it is finished. Lois
Old 01-19-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
If he is into sports, music, or a particular interest, look for those patterns in fabric, then design your own. I'm doing a basic (blocks and strips, and a few triangles maybe) quilt similar to the one I did for my 3 year old grandson. This one will be baseball related and will, as did the 3 year old's quilt, include actual photos of the 11+ year old playing his games this summer.
that's what I do, look for the fabric first, then make a block.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

I usually pick fabric with hunting,fishing, or camping. A red.white and blue is always a good choice.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:24 PM
jjm

We only see our grandson once a year if we can afford to travel to Maryland. He is a wonderful boy - but sports isn't his main thing. He is on the computer a lot.

When they where here for Christmas he fell in love with a piece of black and white checkered material. At one time I saw a show that used the black and white checkered and a beautiful blue with a deeper blue to accent.

I just do not have the day to day with him to know all the different things he enjoys. You know grandma's - they just want everything perfect for their grandchildren.

I haven't been online like this before - I really enjoy all your ideas. I will keep looking for fabric first (good idea) - then then pattern. The only thing I worry about is how much material to buy. THank thank thank.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:29 PM
jjm

sorry about the spelling - meant were!

I'm not in hiding - we are from southeast South Dakota.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:55 PM

You have someone who is going to grow so darned fast. My boys both had quilts when they were that age (now in their 20's) definetely do NOT go cool as in right now.. good this year so way uncool next year. They like colors, say they prefer blues? use blues, browns use browns, blacks do a b/w one.. if it becomes uncool they will stuff it in the closet. Soon enough they will leave home and the concept would be they take it with them.. (way too much time and money in a quilt to not make it loved for a long time).. and they do not want a girl (especially a first girlfriend) coming in and seeing nascar or bmx bikes (oh way not cool when you hit high school).. just a thought. Mine were very concious of what the friends would say or comment on so we stayed in the safe zone. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by jjm
Would anyone have any ideas for patterns for boys - young men? It seems like most are made for girls.
I have a book called Quilts for Guys & one pattern is called timberline trails by Janet Mednick, San Francisco. It's kind of a zigzag one done in browns & tans or whatever color you'd choose. I don't know if this would work but you could probably check out the pattern & see.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:39 PM

jjm, if he has e-mail, ask him what kind of music he likes and what his favorite groups are. Incorporate those by using different sizes of letters to spell out the words of his first name in one corner & the groups name/names all over the majority of the quilt. (My son was into KISS back in the day, so imagine spelling that out in wonky sizes/shapes). You could frame it with the shape of a computer or find small metal computer pins to put on it. You can probably find some of those at Wal-Marts or $ stores around. Some of the groups even have pins with their names written out on them. My grandson is 14, will be 15 in May, so I know how they can be at this age.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:04 PM
jjm

Thanks - I love everyone's ideas - never thought of some of them. You have given me so much to think about. I will go off now and look for what I need thanks.