Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: I'm looking for a pattern for a 13 yr old grandson -

  1. #1
    jjm
    jjm is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4
    Would anyone have any ideas for patterns for boys - young men? It seems like most are made for girls.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,960
    Blog Entries
    2
    If he is into sports, music, or a particular interest, look for those patterns in fabric, then design your own. I'm doing a basic (blocks and strips, and a few triangles maybe) quilt similar to the one I did for my 3 year old grandson. This one will be baseball related and will, as did the 3 year old's quilt, include actual photos of the 11+ year old playing his games this summer.

  3. #3
    Super Member dakotamaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South central Nebraska, US
    Posts
    5,585
    Check out www.quilterscache.com

    So many times it is not the pattern but the fabric that makes it gender specific! :-D

  4. #4
    Lyn4ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Check out www.quilterscache.com

    So many times it is not the pattern but the fabric that makes it gender specific! :-D
    Oh I agree it's the fabric that they will look at more than the pattern. Unless you do a lot of applique I think using fabric oriented to his likes is easier. Make sure to post when it's done so we can all ohh and ahh, LOL

  5. #5
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    There are so many novelty fabrics that you could match to his likes. At his age, I would use the more adult types rather than the cartoon looking ones.

  6. #6
    Super Member woody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    2,152
    Blog Entries
    1
    my son want me to make him "da vinci"
    http://www.rjrfabrics.com/patterns/b...m?designerID=1
    scroll down, it's the red and black one

    Its not too hard, you put it together rather like a bargello.

  7. #7
    Lyn4ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by woody
    my son want me to make him "da vinci"
    http://www.rjrfabrics.com/patterns/b...m?designerID=1
    scroll down, it's the red and black one

    Its not too hard, you put it together rather like a bargello.
    So did you make it for him? If so can we see a picture? Looks like it would be amazing.

  8. #8
    Super Member woody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    2,152
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyn4ty
    Quote Originally Posted by woody
    my son want me to make him "da vinci"
    http://www.rjrfabrics.com/patterns/b...m?designerID=1
    scroll down, it's the red and black one

    Its not too hard, you put it together rather like a bargello.
    So did you make it for him? If so can we see a picture? Looks like it would be amazing.
    That is on my list of "to do" projects, hopefully this year, I have printed off the pattern and that as far as I have gotten so far. LOL

  9. #9
    Lyn4ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by woody
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyn4ty
    Quote Originally Posted by woody
    my son want me to make him "da vinci"
    http://www.rjrfabrics.com/patterns/b...m?designerID=1
    scroll down, it's the red and black one

    Its not too hard, you put it together rather like a bargello.
    So did you make it for him? If so can we see a picture? Looks like it would be amazing.
    I am so with you on that!! I have piles of patterns I've printed to do "someday", hmm going to be 60 this year, maybe I should get going on some of those, LOL
    That is on my list of "to do" projects, hopefully this year, I have printed off the pattern and that as far as I have gotten so far. LOL

  10. #10
    Honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,684
    I agree that it is the fabric that defines a quilt. My oldest DGS loves dogs so I found some really cute dog fabric. I am going to do it in simple blocks (12" so you can really see the dogs) with double sashing around each block. Very simple, but he will love it.

  11. #11
    Lyn4ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    552
    So JJM have you decided on a pattern and fabric yet?

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hamburg, NY
    Posts
    122
    When my grandson was in his early teens, I made him a split rail quilt. It is masculine and can be used as he grows older. He still has it and he is 23. I think that the most difficult part of making a 'man quilt' is choosing the fabric. Had to find fabrics with strips, cirlces, batiks, blenders, etc. No flowery ones. I would choose a simple pattern and spice it up with a variety of fabric patterns. Good Luck and please show a picture when it is finished. Lois

  13. #13
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    If he is into sports, music, or a particular interest, look for those patterns in fabric, then design your own. I'm doing a basic (blocks and strips, and a few triangles maybe) quilt similar to the one I did for my 3 year old grandson. This one will be baseball related and will, as did the 3 year old's quilt, include actual photos of the 11+ year old playing his games this summer.
    that's what I do, look for the fabric first, then make a block.

  14. #14
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    28,333
    I usually pick fabric with hunting,fishing, or camping. A red.white and blue is always a good choice.

  15. #15
    jjm
    jjm is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4
    We only see our grandson once a year if we can afford to travel to Maryland. He is a wonderful boy - but sports isn't his main thing. He is on the computer a lot.

    When they where here for Christmas he fell in love with a piece of black and white checkered material. At one time I saw a show that used the black and white checkered and a beautiful blue with a deeper blue to accent.

    I just do not have the day to day with him to know all the different things he enjoys. You know grandma's - they just want everything perfect for their grandchildren.

    I haven't been online like this before - I really enjoy all your ideas. I will keep looking for fabric first (good idea) - then then pattern. The only thing I worry about is how much material to buy. THank thank thank.

  16. #16
    jjm
    jjm is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4
    sorry about the spelling - meant were!

    I'm not in hiding - we are from southeast South Dakota.

  17. #17
    Super Member Elisabrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cody, Wyoming
    Posts
    6,396
    You have someone who is going to grow so darned fast. My boys both had quilts when they were that age (now in their 20's) definetely do NOT go cool as in right now.. good this year so way uncool next year. They like colors, say they prefer blues? use blues, browns use browns, blacks do a b/w one.. if it becomes uncool they will stuff it in the closet. Soon enough they will leave home and the concept would be they take it with them.. (way too much time and money in a quilt to not make it loved for a long time).. and they do not want a girl (especially a first girlfriend) coming in and seeing nascar or bmx bikes (oh way not cool when you hit high school).. just a thought. Mine were very concious of what the friends would say or comment on so we stayed in the safe zone. Good luck!

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fargo, North Dakota
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by jjm
    Would anyone have any ideas for patterns for boys - young men? It seems like most are made for girls.
    I have a book called Quilts for Guys & one pattern is called timberline trails by Janet Mednick, San Francisco. It's kind of a zigzag one done in browns & tans or whatever color you'd choose. I don't know if this would work but you could probably check out the pattern & see.

  19. #19
    Super Member Sheila Elaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Crossville, Alabama
    Posts
    3,422
    jjm, if he has e-mail, ask him what kind of music he likes and what his favorite groups are. Incorporate those by using different sizes of letters to spell out the words of his first name in one corner & the groups name/names all over the majority of the quilt. (My son was into KISS back in the day, so imagine spelling that out in wonky sizes/shapes). You could frame it with the shape of a computer or find small metal computer pins to put on it. You can probably find some of those at Wal-Marts or $ stores around. Some of the groups even have pins with their names written out on them. My grandson is 14, will be 15 in May, so I know how they can be at this age.

  20. #20
    jjm
    jjm is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks - I love everyone's ideas - never thought of some of them. You have given me so much to think about. I will go off now and look for what I need thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.