Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I'm looking for suggestions

I'm looking for suggestions

Hello everyone! I have picked up lots of information by reading the message board and checking out the pictures of the quilts so many of you have posted but this is the first time I have posted a message myself. Hopefully I will do this correctly and all of you will be able to read this. With the introduction of so many college and university themed fabrics I wonder if anyone has seen any patterns created specifically for these fabrics. It didn't matter so much until lately, when, being an avid Ohio State Buckeye fan, I learned that at long last, fabric with all the OSU logos and such has been made available. The temptation to order a boat load of every one I see seemed like a good idea until I added up what it would cost!! So if anyone has or has seen such a pattern, I would really appreciate it if you could share the information. Thank you so much, Connie

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    I buy Crimson Tide fabric at Local Wal-mart...they also sell Auburn Tigers...I DO NOT buy. Try your local Walmart. It runs between 8 and 12 bucks a yard, more if the team is NATIONAL CHAMPION!!! Roll Tide Roll!
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Hey Tracy! Thanks for the quick reply but I am looking for patterns created specifically for the use of the university fabrics. How do you use your "Roll Tide" fabric in a quilt? By the way, many people think there is a real good chance that my Buckeyes and your Crimson Tide will be playing in the national championship game this year!! GO BUCKS!

Blog Entries
    Okay, I know this doesn't use the actual school fabrics but I bought this pattern for the BEST college team, University of MIchigan...GO BLUE! They do have it for OSU http://www.creativequiltkits.com/ohi...d-designs.html
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Just think big blocks, Hope that helps a bit.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I was so excited to finally see it, I bought some of each design. I haven't decided what pattern I'm going to use for it though. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread for ideas. Go Bucks!
    Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!

Thanks so much for the information. I made that OSU quilt last summer for myself and another for my son when I first saw those patterns AND, even though it went against my Buckeye heart, I made the Michigan quilt for a friend for Christmas. If I don't find anything else, I think I will use that quilt pattern for the center and surround it with blocks made from the university prints until I get it to the size I want. Thanks again, Connie

I, too, was thrilled to see that finally OSU had sold the rights but so far, I haven't been able to buy any! Ironically, I live in michigan (just outside ann arbor) and it isn't available here yet. I did find a place online - www.collegefabricstore.com that will have it available at the end of June which is why I am trying to put my plan in place and have a pattern ready to go. Thanks for the info. Connie GO BUCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by clk6446 View Post
    Hey Tracy! Thanks for the quick reply but I am looking for patterns created specifically for the use of the university fabrics. How do you use your "Roll Tide" fabric in a quilt? By the way, many people think there is a real good chance that my Buckeyes and your Crimson Tide will be playing in the national championship game this year!! GO BUCKS!
    Be creative. Design a quilt using O S U in a style specific to Ohio State. What color is your red??? Scarlet, Red-red, crimson??????? Use tonal reds for the background and the OSU fabric for the OSU letters. Make an all red/OSU grid of small squares----------then cut out the OHIO state outline. Applique to a neutral back ground.

For a simple one--------every other square in the OSU fabric with the other block in the red or white.

for that matter, do warm wishes, but make the rail block red/white/red
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    Okay, I know this doesn't use the actual school fabrics but I bought this pattern for the BEST college team, University of MIchigan...GO BLUE! They do have it for OSU http://www.creativequiltkits.com/ohi...d-designs.html

LOVE THAT DESIGN. OSU is my son in law's school. NOT MINE!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I, too, was thrilled to see that finally OSU had sold the rights but so far, I haven't been able to buy any! Ironically, I live in michigan (just outside ann arbor) and it isn't available here yet. I did find a place online - www.collegefabricstore.com that will have it available at the end of June which is why I am trying to put my plan in place and have a pattern ready to go. Thanks for the info. Connie GO BUCKS!
    Joann's has it all and you can order it online. GO BUCKS!
    Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!

There is a quilt block called the Ohio Star.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

My daughter made a Michigan quilt using the "Just Can't Cut It" pattern. It uses 5 coordinating fabrics. She used the largest logo print for the largest part of the block and smaller print and solid coordinates for the small parts of the block.
    jackie

Add me to the list of devoted Buckeye fans! I was thrilled to find the OSU fabric in my local Joann's. Went there to get fabric for a current quilt and walked out with an arm load of OSU fabric! I haven't decided on a pattern either so will be watching for suggestions.

I do like the above suggestion for an Ohio Star, with the center square a fussy cut with the OSU design. One idea I had was to do a Snowball with the design along with an alternate block. But I've been too busy lately to get any further than that.

By the way, for those of you who worry about buying fabric from Joann's, this OSU fabric is very nice. It's not thin and wimpy. Has a very nice feel to it.

Blog Entries
    For my brother's Christmas present a few years ago, I made a double Irish chain quilt with Scarlet and Gray squares, then appliqued the Block O into the "blank" squares. I would think the specific OSU fabrics would be awesome for the chains. (Or the applique, too!)
    Whatever you decide, make sure to post a picture when you're done. And I wholeheartedly agree... GO BUCKS!!!

Hey Tracy! Thanks for the quick reply but I am looking for patterns created specifically for the use of the university fabrics. How do you use your "Roll Tide" fabric in a quilt?!
    You can't say what pattern you would use until you see the fabric. Think T-shirt type quilt, with different size blocks.

If the fabric is a large panel, you might want to use that panel in the middle, and add blocks like stars/pinwheel stars, or something like that around it in coordinating fabric.

If it is a bunch of the same logos, do something like the School letters in school colors in the middle, and blocks with borders with the school logo from the fabric around it.

Or, just use the school fabric for backing, and coordinating fabric for blocks on the front side.
    Or, the school fabric might make a nice large border.

Here's a link to a picture of an Alabama I made for my son last year. There are lots of ways to use college fabrics.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t201863.html
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Irish NY, I love your quilt! Thanks for sharing it