Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm married to a prince! >

I'm married to a prince!

I'm married to a prince!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:56 AM

Haha!! That's an interesting question for me. My DH is a quilter, too, so we go fabric shopping together. Sometimes it gets crazy....but generally we just buy for a specific project. Unless we just fall in love with something for our stash...

I also buy fabric online, and he does also occasionally. Whenever a package comes, he says "Yours or mine?" (laughing)!!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:03 AM

I dont have to hide anything. He is also usually with me when I buy my fabrics. He is also the one that has set up my quilting room for me. Yay for wonderful husbands!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:22 AM

I never really understood the concept of hiding your stash from your significant other. I mean...really? Some quilters act like they're hiding the evidence of a crime they just commited. Its not like you spent your retirement fund or the kids college money to support your stash building, right?

I have a prince, too. I started going out with a friend shortly after he took me out for Valentine's Day (we we're two singles who didn't want to spend Feb. 14th alone) and our first "official" date was on my birthday a month later. He asked me what I wanted and since he was taking me to the city where my favorite sushi place is I asked him if he would take me to a quilt shop I had heard about. I didn't really expect him to have much input or anything while we were there. But I was looking at some pre-cuts and he asked me what those were. He didn't get bored with me as I explained all the pre-cuts and explained what was the difference between a jellyroll and a honeybun was. He even helped me pick out fabric for a quilt I had planned on making for a friend of the family shortly before he died of cancer (its now going to be a memorial quilt).

Lately I've been getting some dental work done and there's a quilt shop a few blocks away from the clinic. He'll take me there before my appointment, espessily if I'm getting an extraction.

I've tricked him into picking some fabric for his own quilt. I sort of lied to him and said I needed to step outside what I call my "White Stripes color scheme" (White Stripes was a band that wore only black, white, and red). So I had "decided" to make a green scrappy quilt. And the input has been interesting--- Later I decided his quilt was going to be a Winding Ways quilt as the blocks look like clovers and would match his Irish hertitage and his fondness for green. I tricked him into helping me pick a background color for the blocks. Well, I'm not for certain if I have tricked him or if he has caught on, but he's not good at keeping things from me so I figure if he caught on he would have said something.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:52 AM

I don't hide anything either. I have my hobbies and he has his. His hobbies are much more expensive than mine. He is into radio control airplanes.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:30 AM

Nope no hiding here either. DH goes with me when he is able to look at the fabrics. I actually end up spending more if he is with me. He also goes to the local shows. If I do go to the LQS without him when I get home I get to have a show and tell with him while I am folding everything nice and neat to put away. Recently we have been having discussion about trying to do my own hand dyed fabric and I have started to purchase everything that would be needed to do that. I have just about everything now, just need to order the dyes and a bolt of fabric and I can get started.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by babalu
No hiding here, either! My husband actually asks me to make quilts for his friends and coworkers. And he'll always ask, when I'm working on something, "Who is getting that one?" He understands that I am always giving them away as gifts. He's a gem!
Same here. In fact, he was the one that insisted on me needing the Tin Lizzie and bought it for me in April. Then last month when my Janome 6600 bit the dust, he did the research and bought me the Sapphire 875. He not only supports my quilting but encourages it. He says a smile makes a happy husband. He is definitely one of a kind.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:57 AM

I do hide some of mine but that is only because he quilts too and I do not want him to take my stash! lol
Old 08-06-2011, 02:58 AM

Don't have to hide anything. I usually show him what I've bought. He know a lot of my quilts go to charity. He gives me a very generous allowance and as I gave up smoking a couple of years ago I have enough to indulge my passion.
When I told him about the price of cotton going up he suggested I stock up. He usually says if it makes you happy. do it.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by LeeAnn
No, I don't hide mine. My husband encourages me to get what I want.
And mine is usually with me and a lot of times will come back with some material asking "did you see this one, or will this one work?"
Old 08-06-2011, 03:09 AM

I don't! My husband is awesome!