Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm not getting this hand quilting thing. >

I'm not getting this hand quilting thing.

I'm not getting this hand quilting thing.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:57 AM

Do not be so hard on yourself. Start out slowly, doing it your own way and then the rest will come. I could never do it using a hoop or frame. Still do not rock the needle and at first I stuck myself all the time. I was just determined to win this one and finally I did and so can you. Let us know how it goes over time.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:17 AM

LOL, your post is really funny.

I'm a blood donor (apheresis every two weeks), so I guess I should just stick with machine quilting.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:59 AM

Where you peeking over my shoulder at my hand quilting class a week ago? I tried in the hoop, without, thimble (4 different ones), no thimble and after a week of daily practice here and there it is suddenly easier. Trying for consistency whether one stitch at a time or several gets easier too, hang in there!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:47 AM

I much prefer to handquilt because i can relax in a chair or on the couch to work. I use a 10 needle, the thinner the needle the better. (John James needles are toooooooo fat for me). any knot will do as long as it stays in the batting. As far as thimbles go, i cannot use a metal one. every time i try, i push with a different finger. i really like the flexible leather ones. they stop the back of the needle from going into my finger and conform to my fingers too. I have tried to use the hoops, but they are just in the way, i need to be able to manipulate the fabric and the hoop, no matter how loose, keeps me from it. once you get the hang of it, it is very relaxing and you can watch tv or carry a conversation and quilt all at the same time...... good luck and keep practicing.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 AM

My first two quilts I stabbed stiched. Didn't know any better. I'm glad they were just small lap quilts.
A friend of mine told me, "when you feel that needle prick your under finger, turn it up, when you see it coming through the fabric turn it down." I haven't had much trouble since. You do have to get a calous on your under the quilt finger.
Don't be discouraged, just practic,practic, practice.
simple quilter
Old 08-30-2011, 10:54 AM

You are so funny. I totally understand and enjoyed your lightheartedness. Good luck. I am sure you will be the best in no time.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:54 AM

to mitches mom--your piece on hand quilting made me laugh,I needed that! I give you credit, I am still reading up on it
Old 08-30-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
I thank all of you for the condolences and the encouragement. I'm not ready to give up, I really want to learn to do hand quilting. I don't know of anything prettier than a whole cloth quilt. I didn't realize I would need a degree in engineering and the Bloodmobile on stand by to stick a needle in some fabric. I didn't know it was OK to stab one stitch at a time - I can do that!

I am going to try to return the Q Snap frame today. My fingers are actually sore from trying to remove the clips. I'll look for a conventional hoop and try hooping the fabric some other time when I feel there are not enough things going wrong in my life. For now, I'll stick to the hoop-less method. If hand quilting can be done without a hoop, why do the quilt videos and magazines all show people using hoops? The only time I have felt more disappointment was going to Victoria's Secret and realizing the only thing in the store I could wear is the lotion! I swear they have it there as a consolation prize for we women of ample proportions.

I'll try again this evening and report back. I have to get ready for work. You all have a fun, quilt and fabric filled day!
Tracy
Who would they sell all those fancy gadgets to If they were not promoted. I thought you had to use a hoop as well but I learned from this board that you do not. There is always more than one way to do things.

You have a great sense of humor.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:04 PM

I watched many YOU TUBE videos to get the quilter's knot..
Watch one of Sharon Schamber's quilting videos.
Try this....hold threaded needle in RIGHT hand, place about 1/2 inch of the long end of this piece of thread BEHIND the needle (end of thread pointing to sky). Then with LEFT hand wrap around needle 3 times,,,and take the wraps off needle with RIGHT fingernails sliding them down the needle and down long piece of thread until almost the end of thread and pull tight. This is what makes that knot. (Hope that I explained it well enough for you to understand).
I've got the knot figured out, I am still working on the rest. I have used Sharon Schamber's method of quilting without a hoop and like it.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:36 PM

This could be me. I can just see it happening. Only I would have to add that I would have a cat under me trying to play with the needle and thread! Virg