Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm not getting this hand quilting thing. >

I'm not getting this hand quilting thing.

I'm not getting this hand quilting thing.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:23 AM

Tracy, I really like your sense of humor! :)

If I could I would just come over to TN and support you as much as I can!

Go on with hand quilting, you will find your way!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

Tracy, if this helps any- when you get good enough (and you will) you will form a callous on your finger, then it won't hurt :D
Keep practicing!!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:37 AM

You may not a mastered the art of hand quilting, but you are a talented author, with a wonderful sense of humor. I can't tell you not to give up, because I did.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:56 AM

Hey Tracy and all the rest who are getting ready to try hand quilting - I decided to go the unorthodox route of NOT using a traditional rocking method. For one thing, like Tracy, I experienced major blood loss and even worse, ruined my fabric (gasp!), and for another, it made my wrist ache outrageously. The method I use is hoopless although if I am handling a big quilt, I do use a board underneath to support the quilt and my left hand. Instead of rocking the needle, I use what I call a running back stitch - the needle goes up, then I take stitch back, then bring the needle up again a little further. I can control the length of my stitches very easily this way, my wrist doesn't hurt and I can pretty much quilt any size piece I need. The only drawback if you want to call it that is that the back side has a continous line rather than individual stitching. If the quilt police don't like that, phooey on them!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:02 AM

Don't give up. It's just like any other skill you learn, just a learning curve. Just remember that you don't have to do it the way anyone else does it. You need to find your own "groove". Sometimes I quilt in a frame, sometimes not. Sometimes the project needs little stitches, sometimes I make them a little larger. Unless you're putting your project in a contest, do what is comfortable to you. Try different frames, needles, threads and techniques. Good luck, and keep trying :-)
Old 08-30-2011, 05:09 AM

Just keep t rying, it does get easier. Also something to keep in mind. There are lots of quilt shops that give lessons on beginning hand quilting, there are also lots of quilt guilds around and I am sure there are some of the ladies that would be willing to help you out. Where I am from there is a community college that gives quilting classes. Just a thought, but if you have the basics the best thing is practice, practice, practice. It will get easier.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 AM

I just finished an applique class, working on my very first project...a small quilt, more like a wall hanging....easier to practice on...my forefinger and middle finger are actually numb on the very tip from stabbing it sooooo many times. OUCH! ! !..I'm going to go look at borntohandquilt's work now. I'm wondering if she'll let me pitch a tent in her back yard until a neighbors house comes available, lololololol, JK..

Originally Posted by erstan947
I have tried all type of combinations. What works for me is a 14" round hoop. I rest my quilt and hoop on a card table. I am able to get my quilt sandwich the right tension. If you have seen any of borntohandquilt quilting it is amazing. She only does one stitch at a time. I am doing much better with the one stitch method. It is trial and error until you get what works for you:)
Old 08-30-2011, 06:43 AM

i would skip the hoop until you get the feel of it. I rarely use one, just put the whole quilt over the back of the couch, hopefully not slippery leather, sit in front or behind and that gives some tension.
On a small piece, like your sample, just hold it and stitch until your hand gets the idea, your head already has it, you need to tell your hand.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:44 AM

I have trouble with rocking the needle so I'm pocker ( one stich at a time ) it works for me.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 AM

Please don't give up. Hand quilting is so relaxing and so rewarding. Try a little smaller needle, maybe #10, and the rocking will come. Try serching YouTube and find a video on the quilt stitch. I learned by watching Alex on Simply Quilts. Hang in there.