Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm not too fussy about backing fabric--R U? >

I'm not too fussy about backing fabric--R U?

I'm not too fussy about backing fabric--R U?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by in2stitchin
The store is called "FM Store" it is @ 1368 East Sunshine in Springfield, MO 65804.

It looks like a hole in the wall. But I get high quality quilting fabric AND the most beautiful quilt backs at very reasonable prices. I also bet my batting from him (it's a Dad and son business). They don't have a web site. The only way to shop there is in person.

Good Luck!
Well, its just a bit more than a day trip from Dallas! Darn. I do have many ancestors from that area and my mother was born there. Small world. Will make sure to drop by if I ever get up there. Thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 02:02 PM

Other places with very good prices on quilt backing are Thousands of Bolts, Mary Jo's, Over the Rainbow, Desperate Quilters to name a few.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:32 PM

I am used to making king size and always used one fabric for the back, but I am now usiing the left-overs from the front to piece the back, It doesnt look bad at all.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:02 AM

My mother always used a sheet on the back of her quilts and they looked really nice.
I have read where people are using whatever they have left from the front of the quilt and it's called "back art". It uses up the fabric left from one quilt so you can buy fabric for the next one! Sounds like a deal to me.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 AM
PJO

I piece my backs when I don't have a big enough backing for the whole quilt. I use a solid color and once its quilted you can't tell unless you look really, really close.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:32 AM

I often piece the backing so that I can use up fabrics that I have on hand. I do like to coordinate the back and the front. Ideally I like that anything I made, either a throw quilt, bed quilt, or table topper, can be flipped over and look nice. So I prefer prints over plain colors for backing, but I use both, just depends on what I have.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
I grew up with handmade quilts from the 1920s and '30s and the backs were pieced together just like the tops.
So I don't get upset if I have to piece my backings, even if it's with non-matching fabric.
Granted, I don't make quilts to be judged. If I did I would, of course, be more careful about it.
But I overheard a lady at my LQS saying how she didn't buy enough of her backing fabric, and was having trouble finding more, etc. (I don't know if she make quilts for judging.)
But it got me thinking if I'm too casual about my quilt backings?
How about the rest of you?
Do you panic if your backing on non-judging quilts can't be all the same fabric?
I try my best to match but am afraid to piece the back --------is it easy?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:28 AM

I don't mind pieced backings at all, I just hate to do it. More cutting and ironing! I try to use backing fabric, but even looking online, you can't always gauge the color until it's in your hands.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 AM

I buy several yards of a neutral 118" wide flannel that I back things with.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by katier825
I like my backs to coordinate - not necessarily match - the front of the quilt. Sometimes I use one fabric, but more often I find myself piecing them. I don't mind piecing, but I do tend to plan it, rather than just sew a bunch of leftovers together. Here are some of my backs.
I love your backs. thank you for sharing and God bless. Penny