Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm out of sorts!

I'm out of sorts!

I've been using this longarm quilter for several years with no problems,
    but I sat down to attach the binding and look what I saw. Trimmed down to the points rather than 1/4" allowance.
    Maybe I have too much time on my hands if I'm cross about it...but...rats.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    I would be more than "cross"!!!!!

Oh how frustrating! All your hard work and accuracy is lost along the edges.
    Wellll, they say only God is perfect. Your perfect edges were trimmed down as a simple of your humility. =)
    Just trying to make light of it, sweetie. I know you are not happy about it.
    ((((( hugs )))))

Donna Mc

That is not acceptable. I would atleast talk to her.
    Anna Quilts

OMG .... I really feel for you on this.
    After all your hard work and to have it totally ruined.
    Sadly not much can be done at this point to fix all those missing points.

Don't let it go by the way ... if close enough drive right back and discuss IRL.
    Otherwise, call and find out what and why.
    At the least, her FMQing should be rebated to you.
    However, there is a huge loss in the fabric costs and your labour.

..... talk to her and see what can be worked out.
    Good Luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Maybe she was trying to square up the quilt? She should of called you first.

Power Poster
    I would let her know you're not happy. That is so disappointing!

Blog Entries
    why would she trim it in the first place? she wasn't going to bind it. ask her. hopefully she will have a good answer, otherwise, find another long armer. Go ahead and finish it, it will not look that bad. it just frustrating.

Oh Dear!

Why would the points be cut off? Oh my!

Blog Entries
    I am thinking some one in her family helped her.... maybe.

NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
    Although the points are indeed cut off, this lovely quilt is definitely not ruined. Unless you planned to have it judged, just finish it up and enjoy it or gift it whatever your plan was. Blunt points are not the worse thing, especially if they all are. Then it becomes a design element!
    Please do contact the longarmer as she has done satisfactory work for you in the past.

I am a long arm quilter and I won't trim down a quilt just in case I messed up like that. I would much rather give the finished product back to the quilter to trim down themselves. I would talk to the quilter about it.

it isn't ruined, I know that. And I'm over it now. But I haven't shown quilts since the 90s and I had thought to put this one in a show this fall. Serves me right for being prideful. I'm 1/2 way around now so only 190" to go.

I saw a piece on youtube about Missouri Quilt Co, the owner was showing the quilts on their machines and she said she has three women employed full time doing binding. All of them can do 2 queens and 1 king in a day! They will never hire me, I'm the turtle when it comes to binding.
    And on the other side of this quilt is another top, and it doesn't have any points on the edges Looks fine bound.!

thanks for the commiseries

This is unacceptable. Did you ask her to trim it? Not only the triangle points, but the entire design is altered at the edge. In your photo you can see the parallelogram at the edge is much narrower than one inside the quilt. I would definitely ask for my long arming fee back.

I would never trust someone else to trim my quilts.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is the very reason that I never trim the quilts I quilt for clients. They trim their own. I am so sorry but for what it is worth all will be well. The quilt is beautiful.

I feel terrible for you. I still love the quilt though. It's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia M. View Post
    Maybe she was trying to square up the quilt? She should of called you first.
    This is what I was thinking too but the pattern should take precedence over the squaring up or she should have left all or some of the border on for the quilter to decide what to do.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    it isn't ruined, I know that. And I'm over it now. But I haven't shown quilts since the 90s and I had thought to put this one in a show this fall. Serves me right for being prideful. I'm 1/2 way around now so only 190" to go.

I saw a piece on youtube about Missouri Quilt Co, the owner was showing the quilts on their machines and she said she has three women employed full time doing binding. All of them can do 2 queens and 1 king in a day! They will never hire me, I'm the turtle when it comes to binding.
    And on the other side of this quilt is another top, and it doesn't have any points on the edges Looks fine bound.!

thanks for the commiseries
    Is it possible that she trimmed from "the other side" quilt and didn't realize points were cut off?

Quote Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
    This is the very reason that I never trim the quilts I quilt for clients. They trim their own. I am so sorry but for what it is worth all will be well. The quilt is beautiful.
    Yes, this!
    Anna Quilts

I instruct my LA'er to not trim. I do that myself for this very reason. That sucks beg time! It's still gorgeous and likely no one will notice but a I get it totally...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Power Poster
    I had one quilt long-armed and the quilter trimmed the quilt to the edge - on the pillow shams - that did not matter - she left two inches of batting and backing!

What was done to your quilt was a screw-up - not life threatening, but extremely - polite vocabulary fails me.

KalamaQuilts, I admire your forbearing attitude. If that's the quilt I think it is, it is a masterpiece and should have been handled with utmost care. I just don't understand what she could have been thinking. Maybe she is out of sorts and should take a break until she is back with it.
    Lisa

Oh, how disappointing (or should I say dis-pointing?). I don't think I would have gotten over it as quickly as you have. Especially not a quilt I had considered showing. The LA made a very careless mistake, and I think you have every right to ask for all your money back. It could've been an honest mistake (as someone suggested maybe she trimmed from the reverse side ?) but she should compensate you for her mistake.

The quilt is really pretty, as are all your quilts. I envy your skill and patience.
    Last edited by zozee; 05-14-2018 at 06:54 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I had one quilt long-armed and the quilter trimmed the quilt to the edge - on the pillow shams - that did not matter - she left two inches of batting and backing!

What was done to your quilt was a screw-up - not life threatening, but extremely - polite vocabulary fails me.
    I think the word you want is "FUBARed." (Note to the mods -- that's an acronym, not shouting.)
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    Both quilts and husbands help keep you warm,
    but quilts never grumble when you buy more fabric.

Kalama- Im sorry this happened to your quilt. It seems to me that the long armer made a serious mistake here and needs to know about it, otherwise it may happen to someone elses quilt. Id want a refund if it was my quilt.

Rob
    Last edited by rryder; 05-15-2018 at 02:14 AM.
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast