Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm out of sorts!

Words fail me. Maybe a rebate on your next quilt is in order. I love the quilt, even minus the points.

Blog Entries
    I would be more than out of sorts and she would hear about it in no uncertain terms.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    What a shame...I agree with Rob, if you don’t bring it to her attention, it could happen to someone else. I wonder what was going through her mind?
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

My friend sent her quilt to a longarmer one time and she cut off the scallops!! My friend had worked so hard to get the scallops the right size for the size of the quilt. She cried when it came back.

I tell my long-arm quilters NOT to trim. I do it myself. Cause I always had that possible problem in my mind.
    Sorry that happened

First of all, you should be proud of that quilt & there is no way this ‘serves you right’. Why is it wrong to be proud of our beautiful creations?!? It also isn’t ruined. As one who has trouble keeping points, I agree with your frustration at losing the edge points to someone else’s mistake. Others have given you good advice as to the best way to handle this with the LA, which I’m not qualified to do. I’ve never had a quilt LA’d.

I think that LA should be responsible for the total cost of your quilt. After all, she is a professional and you had reason to trust her with your quilt. I was in a custom drapery business for many years and felt strongly that I needed to make any mistakes I made right with the customer. And, over the years, I did "eat" the replacement cost because of my error. That wasn't a good thing for me but I could face the customer and my reputation was not harmed.

Has the LAer ever trimmed your Quilts before? I would definitely make her/him aware of this situation and see what the response is-if not to your satisfaction, time to seek out a new LAer. Actually, from the pic, being a kind of scrappy design, not as noticeable as if it were a color coordinated design. Put it in the show you were planning to, you never know, may not be noticed! Definitely make sure No Trimming is specified the next time!

I draw a card each morning which gives me something to chew over through the day. Today's card is Judgement.
    Like you, I've already thought of many reasons this might have happened.

I'm no longer cross about the trimming.
    But one thing I'm really big on for myself, is owning our actions, taking responsibility.
    I won't be going back because she did not own up to what occurred. That is what I'm mad about. Which puts me right back in Judgement mode and I'm not going there.

Really, it is all right!

I don't know how much it would affect your final design, but would it be possible to take off those outside blocks altogether? It would give you a smaller quilt, yes, but one that didn't show such a major error. Or perhaps take them off and remake them?
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    Both quilts and husbands help keep you warm,
    but quilts never grumble when you buy more fabric.

Blog Entries
    Several things come to mind. First, you have every right to be upset. Second, why would she trim it at all. Third, had she trimmed your quilts in the past. Fourth, did she have someone helping her that didn't know. Fifth, will she compensate you in some way. But, for you, it will be ok because it will be the same for all sides, so it will look like you did it on purpose. Only you will notice it. BTW - nice looking quilt, looks like the kind of quilt you just want to snuggle under in front of a fire with a good book!

I too would be more than cross and would want some form of compensation!

All is not lost. Attach a thin row of piping and proceed with attaching the binding. I just had to 'fix' a quilt doing this very trick last week.

Blog Entries
    when I do longarm quilting for anyone I do not trim the quilt I let that up to them

I don't quilt for others often but when it comes off the frame I call them to come over to trim it on my cutting table as I have a 4 x 8 table. Rather they make the mistake instead of me. I usually try to keep at least a 1/4" from any points when cutting though. So sorry this happened to you.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

you guys have my little grey cells burbling.
    -------------
    IceLoepard said: I don't know how much it would affect your final design, but would it be possible to take off those outside blocks altogether? It would give you a smaller quilt, yes, but one that didn't show such a major error. Or perhaps take them off and remake them?
    -------
    This idea made my stomach hurt. But it did make me start thinking. Thank you
    -------------
    KwiltyKathy said:
    My friend sent her quilt to a longarmer one time and she cut off the scallops!! My friend had worked so hard to get the scallops the right size for the size of the quilt. She cried when it came back.
    ------------------
    While I did my yoga your thought popped another thought in my mind. I did a reverse scallop on my DJ quilt.
    I wouldn't be losing any size, I wouldn't be 're-doing' anything. I wouldn't be wasting the binding already cut because it still wouldn't need bias binding.
    And the points on the quilt side would show and the cutoff outside would be covered over.

I'm going up to take off the binding already sewn. And sweat bullets that I have some reproduction that is big enough to do at least a 3" reverse scallop. I am not buying fabric...picture that all in caps

thank you again for all the suggestions. And I don't think the quilter and I have ever talked trimming. They all have come home, perfect and ready for binding with a full seam allowance, just like I sent them to her.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    Kalama- Im sorry this happened to your quilt. It seems to me that the long armer made a serious mistake here and needs to know about it, otherwise it may happen to someone elses quilt. Id want a refund if it was my quilt.
    I agree! I would, too. I'm so sorry this happened. I would have been very upset.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Kalama, props to you for being so calm. I'm going to think of this the next time I want to freak out and spill capital letters all over the countryside. So I guess the good thing is, you may not be able to be proud of your points, and all of us here know how much *that* hurts, but you can be proud of the role model you are for me. I'm pretty sure God will let you, too.

NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
    You must share the finished quilt and maybe even how you do the reverse scallops.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK View Post
    You must share the finished quilt and maybe even how you do the reverse scallops.
    Yes, please do!
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    Both quilts and husbands help keep you warm,
    but quilts never grumble when you buy more fabric.

Luckily, my long armer does not trim the edges unless you are paying her to bind it. I would not be happy and would ask why it was trimmed the way it was. You will need to decide if you can trust her with another quilt or to find another long armer. I would finish the quilt and use it. Most people with not look that closely to see all the points were cut off.

I've done longarming and always let the quilter do the trimming. Maybe you should request no trimming on future jobs.
    Sally

My LA is my daughters MIL and I tell her on the quilts I give her quilt to not trim it when she takes it off the machine because that way I can leave as much as I need for the binding
    Patsy

I would be upset too. Let her know how you feel, she may have had a helper who didn't know to keep the seam allowance. She needs to know to not do this to anyone else. If I ever took another one to her, I think I would include a solid border to take up any miss trimming.

Kalama, I think your solution is brilliant! For showing. I think it is fabulous just bound as you were doing, too.
    You do such beautiful work!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast