Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm ready to give up >

I'm ready to give up

I'm ready to give up

Old 07-08-2015, 05:22 AM

I totally agree with quiltinghaven. If you make your squares a little larger, you can always cut them down to exact size. It is a little more work but you get great results.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:06 AM

There are many methods you can use to get HST the size you want. I always make mine larger than I need and then cut them down to the correct size. Someone told me "measure twice and cut once" I think that is the best advice I was ever given. And don't give up-if you don't keep on trying you make sure that you will never be successful.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:59 PM

I am 71, and a novice at sewing. I bought a top pattern -- three pieces to the pattern. (and interfacing.) I bought the muslin, even though I didn't want to spend the extra money. After 3 days I had the muslin sewed, and all was well, but I was still afraid to cut my good fabric, so I found some fabric someone had given me that wouldn't work in a quilt, and made me a real top. After working on it for about 3 more days I finally had it together. Still afraid, I dug out some quilting cotton and decided to make one more run at it before cutting into my expensive fabric. What a time I am having! I pinned the sleeves wrong side to right side. Then I pinned the sleeves upside down. I think and hope I have finally pinned them correctly, but it's anyone's guess. I don't even need a top. Why am I torturing myself like this!!! My sewing room is hot, and sweat runs down into my eyes, and everywhere else. Oh well, better than just watching TV all day.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:51 PM

A lot of times I am too.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:30 PM

I had same issues!! My friends would laugh because no matter what I did the cuttings were off! Like you was ready to quit!! I found June Taylor's cutting system, it has measurement and slots to put your rotary cutter. I bought the biggest size she has one in 1 and 1/2 " slots and I believe 1/4", 7/8" ones which I rarely use. Most of the times my measurements are right on. My quilts are by no means perfect but much much better! Good luck
Old 07-09-2015, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Becky's Crafts View Post
Josieh, have you tried cutting thing a bit bigger and then trimming down? Sometimes that works better for me too!
That is exactly what I was going to say, the amount of fabric you lose is nothing compared to the frustration you are feeling.

If you feel it is the 1/4" seam that is giving you trouble make a cup of tea and watch these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvPjRv25c2U and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ct3G0Nh-pw The first one by Donna Poster is terrific and so helpful.

Don't give up there are a lot of helpful people here which will hold your hand and help you through this frustration period.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:48 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I'm the same. Somedays are good sew days and others aren't. I can tell after about 5 minutes after I sit down to my machine. If I made several mistakes in a row...I've found the best thing to do is turn the machine off, get up and do something else. I usually will have some hexies or hand embroidery to work on when machine sewing isn't a good day. Hang in there...it will get better!!!
Old 07-09-2015, 05:54 AM

I don't know if at 63 I qualify as a senior but sure don't feel like it. What I do feel like is after quilting for a while, I'm ready for something different!. But all the grands and grand-nieces/nephews keep having babies LOL. I I "plan" (you know how that goes) when I finish the current quilt, I' take a few days to give the sewing room a good clean, so I'll know where everything is! And I plan to crochet for a while. I know I won't be able to do the fine work I used to do but I just need a change of pace. Take a break, breathe, run in the rain, try something new!!
Old 07-09-2015, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Try the fusible grid that you lay your fabric on & press then sew it together in rows. I tried it and it's sooooo much easier! Maybe someone will give their imputed as to the name of it. Don't know the name.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:04 AM

Boy, oh boy! At least I can understand and sympathize! At least we're not alone.