Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm so baffled can you help? >

I'm so baffled can you help?

I'm so baffled can you help?

Old 03-29-2018, 10:11 AM

Here's a tutorial that I've used to put a facing on a quilt. It is simple and works well.
https://thesillyboodilly.blogspot.co...y-to-face.html
Old 03-30-2018, 06:38 PM

I think you could use a technique similar to finishing the bottom edge of the facing on a blouse, where you turn the first side of the binding inside out and sew a straight seam across the end of it even with the edge of the quilt. Trim the seam closely, turn the binding right side out over the edge and then make the mitered fold only on the side that overlaps, which should be the red side because if you did red first it would show through the white. There would be a little extra bulk, but maybe not too much, and you could fold the seam to the back, so at least it wouldn't have the bulk on the front of the quilt. I'm not sure my explanation is clear, but I'll see if I can rub a couple of brain cells together and come up with a better way to explain it.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:43 PM

Regretfully I cannot help you, but I personally love the look of a contrasting border and might consider picking an interesting color from the fabric to pop on, so if you're not loving the look(s) you've got, it might be worth considering.
Happy quilting!
Old 03-30-2018, 07:20 PM

Okay, I'm back after trying my theory. It works for the first side, but creating the miter with the second side of the binding turned out to be much more challenging. I would say, scratch that suggestion - sorry I posted it before trying it!

Birthing the quilt would have been an option, but they should have told you that in the pattern before you had it quilted.

It certainly seems to me that the pattern designer has let you down by not explaining how to do this unusual technique. Perhaps you could ask them how it was done. They have a website with a contact form: http://www.runningwithscissorsquilters.com/contact.html
Old 03-31-2018, 04:51 AM

Default Mitered border

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
Thanks to all the answered and gave links or suggestions. The good news is that it can be done, whoo hoo! I was directed to an artist quilter, Jennifer Rapacki YouTube channel, she gives credit to Quilting Gems who gave her permission to make a YouTube tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTtvUmi_Wr0&t=2sThe wall hanging is ready now for me to hand stitch the binding to the back, the binding looks so good and for me, having the mitred two color binding match the mitered borders I'm very pleased. Again this is the best forum, for without all your suggestions I might not have stumbled onto Jennifer's YouTube channel.
Ricky Timms has a ruler for this. I have, but have never used it.