Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm so baffled can you help? >

I'm so baffled can you help?

I'm so baffled can you help?

Old 03-28-2018, 04:44 AM

Default I'm so baffled can you help?

I've made the Tumbling Triangles quilt by Studio 180 Designs it's back from the long arm quilter and ready to bind. https://deb-tuckers-studio-180-desig...ling-triangles The pattern is easy to follow however it falls short instructing how to miter binding at the corners using two different colors. I wrote to the designers (Not Deb Tucker, interestingly enough) of the pattern asking for instructions and they suggested McCall's learning to how join edges on binding. That isn't answering how to miter binding to match the mitered border which changes colors at the miter. I'm such a visual person, I wonder if I just butt the corners will that visually continue the design appearing to look mitered so it matches the mitered border? Or do I miter the double fold binding like I did the mitered borders? I've searched YouTube, I've searched Google and I cannot find instructions on changing binding colors at the corners. To make matters worse I'm dreadfully close on the white fabric to make the binding so I can't afford to make mistakes.Any help will be so appreciated.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:06 AM

Wouldn't that make a lot of bulk in the binding at the corners? If I have a mitered joining that shows up in the binding on the corners, I will cut the binding back and rejoin it so that it's several inches from the corner.

I think I would just take the red binding and put it all the way around.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:15 AM

I recently saw a video on how to do this but, unfortunately, I do not remember the name of the video. It may be posted in YouTube. Seems to me it was Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims. I believe their website is Thequiltshow.com or thequiltingshow.com. I'm sure you will find it on YouTube.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

The original probably has bulk in the corners, just can t see it in the pattern picture. I have seen many original quilts made for the pattern pictures and rarely see one as perfect as the pattern suggests. Photoshop isn't only for the cover girls. LOL
Old 03-28-2018, 05:25 AM

Here is one YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB0rc76kVV4
Old 03-28-2018, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

I've done two color bindings but not like that. Hopefully someone on here has done it and will respond.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

You could use a knife edge or a facing instead of binding. The picture either does that or doesn't show the binding at all, because the fabric pattern continues right to the edge of the quilt. Or Onebyone may be right about the pattern being computer-drawn or photoshopped. (I realize that the fabric requirements do call for fabric for binding.)
Old 03-28-2018, 05:37 AM

Hmm....just a thought....I think I would just make the mitered border two inches (or less), then turn to the back, and use that extra as self binding to the back, and sew down maybe using invisible thread in top and bobbin....
Old 03-28-2018, 06:36 AM

Here is a tutorial that might help? http://millybeequilting.blogspot.ca/...ng-how-to.html
Old 03-28-2018, 06:37 AM

I downloaded the photo and enlarged it. I doesn't have a binding. It is quilted all the way to the edge. It has a border that continues to the edge.

Where you go from here, I don't know. I've never done one, I've only read about it, but it appears to be a knife edge finish.

bkay