Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm so new at quilting that I feel like I'm running out of time. >

I'm so new at quilting that I feel like I'm running out of time.

I'm so new at quilting that I feel like I'm running out of time.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:51 AM

I've been sewing since I was 8 years old, and quilting for the past 25 years or so (age 64). I don't worry so much about getting quilts done for everybody.... I make what I like and when I'm gone....hopefully many years away..... they will lay all my quilts out and pick which ones they want, taking turns one at a time. We've already discussed this and even though it upsets my only daughter to think about me passing, I know they'll enjoy the work I left behind.
I just hope I can finish a few of the ones I have half done..... or they're going to have one big job figuring out what to do with all the stuff that's left. Ha Ha Ha ... I want to watch that sight from up above.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:18 AM

Just worry about one quilt @ a time. I am trying to make quilts for all our nieces and nephews (19) in between all my other quilting projects so I hope I live long enough to complete them all. I might start sending them to a LAQ for the quilting. That should save some time. :thumbup:
Old 03-24-2011, 08:21 AM

It's just like eating an elephant. "Take one bite at a time"
Life isn't a race, it's a journey.

Originally Posted by susanwilley
I really wish I had started quilting years and years ago. I feel like I have wasted so much time.
I started quilting 2 years ago and have only made 1 king and 2 baby quilts. Now I have so many loved ones I want to make quilts for. I'm 57 and it takes me so long to finish a quilt that I feel at my age I am running out of time and I will never be able to make a quilt for all of them. I am finishing up my son's quilt and still have another daughter I need to start one for, not to mention the 6 grandkids that want one . And my DH, can't forget DH. I have another baby quilt to do and my sister-in-law wants me to make one for her. I love that someone would want something that I have made, I just hope that I can get them all done before I get really old and unable to sew.
Is that silly or what?? LOL
Old 03-24-2011, 08:23 AM

i started 20 years ago and still feel that way! and, I'd wanted to quilt since the age of 7 and mom said no, what if you waste fabric? so, fast forward 30 years, I started quilting and after quilt #2, turned my mom onto quilting. She asked about a year after, why did we wait so long? We laughed about that for many years
Old 03-24-2011, 10:20 AM

I'm 72 and the list of quilts I want to make just keeps getting longer and longer, doubt that I will ever get them all done but then I dont worry about it. Sewing relaxes me so I spend a lot of time in my sewing room, will get more sewing done when my DH and get back out to play golf lol
Old 03-25-2011, 08:51 AM

So, where did you get the pattern? Thanks, Libber
Old 03-25-2011, 03:43 PM

Thanks so mush everyone! I do feel more relaxed.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:12 PM

Hey I started quilting in 04 - I know how you feel. Just let the joy of quilting make you happy. I know it's hard because when I started I was totally overwhelmed - now I take my time and totally enjoy it - it will come to you too. Enjoy life! :-)
Old 03-26-2011, 05:25 PM

I started quilting at the same age you did. I am now 67. I have made a quilt for each one of my children (5), each of my grandkids (10), my great grandson, both of my sisters, my wonderful husband, and lots of baby quilts for anybody that I hear is having a baby.
You've got plenty of time. Don't sweat it though or it makes it not fun.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by stchenfool
Hey I started quilting in 04 - I know how you feel. Just let the joy of quilting make you happy. I know it's hard because when I started I was totally overwhelmed - now I take my time and totally enjoy it - it will come to you too. Enjoy life! :-)
Thanks stchen! I do enjoy making quilts, so it should be easy.