Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm so new at quilting that I feel like I'm running out of time. >

I'm so new at quilting that I feel like I'm running out of time.

I'm so new at quilting that I feel like I'm running out of time.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:37 PM

I'm 56, I hated sewing when I was young, but, as I got older, and my daughter asked me if I would make a blanket, and curtains for a girl. I look at things I like and go home and make them. I made a blanket, curtains and a hanging diaper bag with no pattern. I got hooked on sewing. About a year later I got into quilts and I have made a few. Right now I am tying a queen sized bargello quilt for my niece. I have a list of family members to make quilts for. No rush times. My own pace, which is slow, but, I am enjoying what I do. Just take one day at a time and enjoy your work and have fun doing your quilts. You will see them coming together a little quicker
Old 03-23-2011, 06:07 PM

I too, was a late bloomer, I was 58 and still learning at 68. I may not be the fastest quilter or the best but I am having a great time. Just do what you can do, and enjoy. Jo
Old 03-24-2011, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by lovingmama
With all the projects and ideas I got, I will have to live at least 120 yrs.

Don't worry, just enjoy what you are doing.
Same here, but look at all the fun we're going to have on the way! :thumbup:
Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 AM

For the grandkids at least, you might want to try making raggy flannel quilts. My husband and I made 24 in 14 months, and I work fulltime. The kids all loved them, and the adults loved theirs too. I posted pictures of some of the quilts on this board on March 19th if you care to check them out.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 AM

I was 19 when the bug bit. I was mournful that it would take so long to learn when others had been doing it their entire lives. That was 38 years ago and I still want to do more quilts than there will be time for, even if I live to be a 100.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:46 AM

I remember that Dear Abby question. At 34 I had the chance to finish college. That was the question I asked myself. Took me 5 years but I graduated.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by susanwilley
Thanks so much for all the encouragment! You are all right, I just need to relax and have fun with it. And, as a few said, I will have a blast when I retire! That is what I'm living for....retirement! LOL. Love and hugs to all of you!
Susan

I'm the same age as you. I started quilting about 7 years ago, but don't have a lot to show for it yet, partly because I'm a chronic non-finisher and partly because until 6 weeks ago I had to work fulltime. I used to get frustrated and upset about the lack of time available to do the things I wanted to do, including quilting, and shared your fear that there'd never be the time, so I do understand. I realised that I was spoiling my own enjoyment by pressurising myself. In the end I hid all my ufos away so that I didn't have to look at them, because it fed that pressure - I'm now doing a ufo challenge and focusing on one at a time. I looked very hard at how I was spending my free time to make sure none was wasted - eg mindless TV watching, too much time on the computer etc. I also resolved to get healthy and stay that way to make sure I get as many quilting years as possible. Am still working on that! Then 3 months ago I quite suddenly and unexpectedly got the opportunity to retire, and am now 6 weeks in, blissfully happy and spending my afternoons quilting. It will happen for you too. In the meantime, focus on enjoying each day, each session at your sewing machine. And don't let other people put pressure on you either - this is your hobby, you choose what you want to do, which should be whatever will give you most pleasure right now. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
Originally Posted by susanwilley
Thanks so much for all the encouragment! You are all right, I just need to relax and have fun with it. And, as a few said, I will have a blast when I retire! That is what I'm living for....retirement! LOL. Love and hugs to all of you!
Susan

I'm the same age as you. I started quilting about 7 years ago, but don't have a lot to show for it yet, partly because I'm a chronic non-finisher and partly because until 6 weeks ago I had to work fulltime. I used to get frustrated and upset about the lack of time available to do the things I wanted to do, including quilting, and shared your fear that there'd never be the time, so I do understand. I realised that I was spoiling my own enjoyment by pressurising myself. In the end I hid all my ufos away so that I didn't have to look at them, because it fed that pressure - I'm now doing a ufo challenge and focusing on one at a time. I looked very hard at how I was spending my free time to make sure none was wasted - eg mindless TV watching, too much time on the computer etc. I also resolved to get healthy and stay that way to make sure I get as many quilting years as possible. Am still working on that! Then 3 months ago I quite suddenly and unexpectedly got the opportunity to retire, and am now 6 weeks in, blissfully happy and spending my afternoons quilting. It will happen for you too. In the meantime, focus on enjoying each day, each session at your sewing machine. And don't let other people put pressure on you either - this is your hobby, you choose what you want to do, which should be whatever will give you most pleasure right now. Good luck!
Very good advice annesthread! Thank you! And Welcome to the Board!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by janb
I understand how you feel...I started quilting at age 79 and will have my 80th in 2 months. I sew daily and just cant seem to get enough. Or do enough! I have so many pictures of quilts that I want to do - and there just doesnt seem to be enough time to get them all done. Poor eyesight, arthritis and confusion seem to get in the way....
But you are still going at it!! That's what I hope for! Happy birthday janb!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:23 AM

Great Idea!