Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm Stuck!!!!!!! Help

I'm Stuck!!!!!!! Help

I am making my dad a father's day quilt and decided to put his name on it using heat & bond; well I totally forgot about the mirror image with letters before applying them to the quilt; after I noticed the letter and the number was backwards I removed it from the quilt, but the adhesive is stuck on the quitl! What a mess, does anyone have any ideas on how I can remove the adhesive from the quilt! I re-traced the letter N and the #1 the correct way, but the adhesive is still visible! Thank goodness it is only two characters.

Blog Entries
    You could try Goo Gone. But you would have to spot clean the spot after you use it and let dry before you can continue. I bet, you will get a lot of helpful suggestions.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

QM
    My all purpose goof hider is applique, for example a heart.

Blog Entries
    Depending on the adhesive, you may be able to use acetone to remove it. Do NOT use it anywhere near an iron or other heat source. I've removed pine pitch with acetone.

Sounds like a big problem - I would be afraid of staining the fabric, or taking the color out. Be interested if any of the above suggestions you try have any affect on the fabric.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Quote Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
    You could try Goo Gone. But you would have to spot clean the spot after you use it and let dry before you can continue. I bet, you will get a lot of helpful suggestions.
    I checked my bottle of Goo Gone and it is fabric safe, but suggests washing after use. It is a very useful product at my house.

Good Luck!

if it is heat and bond, you might be able to remove it by placing an old towel, or piece of fabric, over it and ironing. while it is warm it might stick to the towel when you remove it.

good luck.
    pdcakm alias pat
    If things go wrong, don't go with them. ~Roger Babson

Try using Un-du you can usually find it at Wal-Mart. I LOVE this product and it's also safe for photos, you can unstick from those 70's photo albums.
    http://www.un-du.net/un-du_q_a.htm
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-28-2013 at 07:38 AM. Reason: replace copyright material with link

Power Poster
    Can you replace the fabric with new in the quilt? A pain but I would be happier if it is possible. If not I would try any of the above products on fabric scraps first to see how they work.

I agree with QM, whenever I make a mistake, such as a small cut in the fabric, just put an applique over it. There's no reason you couldn't do the same and then put your dads name in a different area.

Quote Originally Posted by pdcakm View Post
    if it is heat and bond, you might be able to remove it by placing an old towel, or piece of fabric, over it and ironing. while it is warm it might stick to the towel when you remove it.

good luck.
    I have removed the wrongly placed adhesive quite successfully by just iron a scrap over it & lift. Use a new scrap & press again. Just keep using a new piece each time so you don't spread the adhesive. Mine has always come off, however I do use Heat'n Bond Lite.

Blog Entries
    There was a very informative thread about this a couple of months ago. If I can find it, I will post it. The upshot was that the fusible can be removed by using the non-printed portions of paper bags. Place paper bag over fusible and iron. Do this repeatedly, using a new portion of paper bag each time, and all of it should come off.

good luck.
    I agree. I would try this technique first. Heating it up may just get the bond off the quilt. I wish you GOOD LUCK TOO !!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Could you applique a heart over the sticky part?
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

How about putting the name on a strip of fabric, then iron on/applique that over the goofed spot? Or shadow the letters to cover the boo boo?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Depending on the adhesive, you may be able to use acetone to remove it. Do NOT use it anywhere near an iron or other heat source. I've removed pine pitch with acetone.
    Acetone is found in nail polish remover. then spot clean.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    Acetone is found in nail polish remover. then spot clean.
    Gotta make sure it's not the non-acetone polish remover, though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tutt View Post
    Try using Un-du you can usually find it at Wal-Mart. I LOVE this product and it's also safe for photos, you can unstick from those 70's photo albums.
    http://www.un-du.net/un-du_q_a.htm
    I have never heard of this, must try and find it and keep some on hand sounds like a great product. What dept in WalMart did you find it? Is it a liquid or what?

I never use Heat & Bond. It's not meant for quilting, but for crafts...will gum up the needle something fierce. I always use Wonder Under.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

good luck.

I've done this before - it was time consuming but it worked. It's worth a try! Good luck!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
    I never use Heat & Bond. It's not meant for quilting, but for crafts...will gum up the needle something fierce. I always use Wonder Under.
    This is not about the adhesive. But I am intrigued by the machines that Cindy has (Post #19). I have almost the identical machines. My treadle is not a Singer, but I bought a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight last week, I have a 1956 Singer 401A, and my Bernina is newer, a 2006 440.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Try Mr. Clean's 'Magic Eraser'.

Blog Entries
    If you cannot remove the gooey stuff, I suggest putting the letters on a light background , put letters on this then hem with decorative stitches to make it look like a picture frame and sew on to quilt to hide spot.
    TxCaRose

Blog Entries
    These are all great ideas I will remember for when I get into trouble, replacing the piece is the best idea, except if you have already sandwiched the quilt and have quilted much of the quilt that would be awful. I wonder if you could carefully snip out the piece and hand sew the piece back in hiding the stitches as much as possible, would that work?
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

Alcohol on a cotton ball or q-tip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast