Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm stuck... >

I'm stuck...

I'm stuck...

Old 02-24-2016, 03:02 PM

I understand where you are now because I was like that too. I made dog beds for shelters at first with my practice quilts using two pieces of fabric I didn't want, batting didn't matter. I found out that I could do it and they looked pretty good for simple stipples and meandering stars. The thread color knowledge came along too. I am just a beginner but I have finished about 8-10 quilts and I keep learning. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:11 PM

None of us are perfect. I've been quilting for nearly 30 years, my quilts still have mistakes, however the people who receive my quilts don't see them. Give yourself permission to have fun and just play.
Sharon in Texas
Old 02-24-2016, 07:24 PM

Put one of your machines on the frame, load the easiest quilt top you have made, and just go for it. No one will pay any attention to how well you do, but you. (Unless you put it in a show, but that is not the point.) myself, I have never wrapped up in a quilt when I was cold and took the time to see if the quilting was perfect. No one else does either. Go for it! I would love to have all those toys (oops! I meant tools, lol!) to play with. No room anyway.......
Old 02-24-2016, 08:37 PM

I also found it easier to buy a fabric with a design or picture and fmq around the picture or design. It taught me how to move the quilt and hand and foot coordination. I began on my 15-91 and 201. Just got a pq1500sl and frame. Huge difference in the amount of touch required. The pq foot floats on the fabric and is harder to control both on and off the frame. Maybe you should begin with fmq on your domestic without the frame. I find that was less frightening and there is more resistance so you feel more in control. Plus it uses the motions and feel that you are used to when you do your piecing.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:20 PM

there are long arm quilting classes one of our local shops does them, I went to one in Payson AZ that was done by quilts around the corner, I learned so much in 3 days I am totally excited and shocked at how much I didn't know and how easy it can be after taking a class
Old 02-24-2016, 09:52 PM
Power Poster

Before I had my long arm I quilted on my Janome. DH would help me mark the quilt and then I would just follow the lines. I would do a minimal amount of quilting which was good because it left the quilt soft and flexible. I used Crayola washable marker. Just be sure not to iron it. maybe your DH can help you mark it or you can discus it with a friend. I wouldn't get rid of the frame yet. It was intimidating for me to go to a frame and I am still learning but it will provide so much freedom, give accuracy and speed up your quilting.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:04 AM

I just want to say how AWESOME all of you are for taking the time to give me hints, tips, suggestions, encouragement, and even a lil "tough love". .

I will not sell the frame yet. I promise.
I have my 3 small pre-printed panels ready to fmq. I am not going to take any of the stitching out, and I will definitely report in with pics. Gasp! That kinda scares me a bit, but as suggested, I'm putting on my big girl (granny) panties and jumping in!

Quilttiger,
I'll check out that book. I really need to clear out many of the ones I currently have. Amazon is a weakness for me, especially where books are concerned.

EmiliasNana,
Love the swatch idea!

Windblown,
Thanks for the clarification. I think you explained it just fine the 1st time, probably my comprehension was "off".

Regards,
Kif
Old 02-25-2016, 03:53 AM

Kif, we can be our own worst critics, and we need to stop this, smile. So many times, I have cringed at my little oopsy mistakes while using my mid-arm quilting machine. Guess what, every time I unload a quilt from the frame, it looks darn good!
Old 02-25-2016, 07:05 AM

I took a class in FMQ from a long-arm quilt shop and one of the best things I learned was to get a piece of plexi glass and put blue tape around the edges. Use a dry air marker and practice making designs. You have to be able to do the design with your hand before you can master it on the machine. I drew a design 40-50 times on the glass and then just wiped it off and started over until I felt I had mastered it. It really took away the intimidation.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:18 AM

Thank you all! I'm planning to try some fmq hopefully this weekend. I did lots of doodling with my 2 grandkids yesterday. Hopefully it'll carryover to my fmq.
Regards,
Kif