Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm stuck... >

I'm stuck...

I'm stuck...

Old 02-27-2016, 10:20 PM

Kiffie,
Don't know where you are in Texas but I am in Austin. I took two different FMQ classes at LQS, and also at the LQS in Fredericksburg. I learned something different in each class. This was a few years ago. All in all, the bottom line is, the more you do, the better it gets. I absolutely love FMQ, whether it is on one of my vintage Pfaffs, or my Pfaff Performance 5.0 or Viking Embroidery Diamond Deluxe Royale. In 2013 my mother had a stroke and by a stroke of luck her hosital room had a small dining table, a two seat sofa that made into a bed, and she was there for about two weeks. I had a queen size, crazy curves quilt all sandwiched, so I rolled my Viking Diamond into her room, set it up on the dining table, and read Feather Adventures by Patsy Thompson before ever starting. I knew I wanted to do feathers all over the quilt. I learned in my FMQ class in Fredericksburg that on a domestic machine, you sew down the rows with water soluble thread first, then do your FMQ. After washed, of course the water soluble is gone, and you just see the feather quilting. I had no scraps with me, so after choosing which type of feather I wanted to go for, I started way down in a corner. Low and behole, the more I did, the better it got. I got to where I was doing my own thing with some of the plumes! Luckily the hospital had good food and I would spend two nights in a row, watch and monitor my mother's care, and quilt each day. My brother would fill in the nights I went home. The day before my mother was released, I rolled my Viking to my car, for my quilt was finished as far as the quilting went. And, being that my mother did not have a roommate at the nursing home at the time, I continued and finished the binding in her room. So, being said, the more FMQ you do the braver you get in going into trying new things and designs.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:30 PM

vschieve,
What a great idea!!
My mom is a lung cancer survivor, she lives with my hubby and I. Through the years she's had several hospital stays..from 8 days to 9 weeks. I stay 24/7 with her each time. My degree is in OT so I can help her with everything except I can't do her meds or IVs (of course). In the downtime, I usually work on hand embroidery or crochet when I'm there...I never thought to take 1 of my machines up. So t thank you for the idea!
But the thought of learning feathers is a bit daunting to me. You're a brave gal!!
Regards,
Kif
Old 03-08-2016, 12:38 AM

I am at the same point and really shouldn't be giving advice. I'd pick a smaller project to start with, maybe a tote bag, crib quilt or even a quilt as you go project. Also, I have heard/read practicing on paper without fabric helps.