Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm thinking about de-stashing totally >

I'm thinking about de-stashing totally

I'm thinking about de-stashing totally

Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 AM

Well, 2 or 3 years ago, I would never have thought I could use up my stash...but economic times being what they are, I have been dipping into my stash for all my quilts----I don't remember the last time I bought any substantial yardage---the last fabric purchase I made was 2 weeks ago and that was just a remnant. So, yeah, there is a possibility I could eventually use up all my stash---although mine is not as extensive as some people have!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:10 AM

After many moves I have destashed several times and am being more careful on the purchases- doesn't mean I still don't have more than I need. Add up what you spent and what that money could have been used for and you will find yourself cringing. I still like to have fabric on hand, but when I can fill garbage bag after garbage bag full of fabric I don't like anymore to donate somewhere, I know I am out of control.
here's another thought- take someone under your wing and teach them how to make something form some of your stash.
I was thinking of that because of my Grandfather. After retiring from farming he took up carpentry and did some amazing work to include rails and offering plates for the church. He was a very quiet man who did things when the adults weren't looking- like pop his dentures out to make us laugh. ANyways, he would take us, the grandkids, into his workshop, no adults were allowed.In his shop we made what ever we could imaging from his scrap piles that were cut in fasinating shapes. Whether he realized it or not his few moments with us helped spur our imaginations to look beyond the obvious and that he was there to help us achieve that vision we saw in those pieces of scrap.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:12 AM

as a new quilter, good to hear that this "stash" business is an excuse for collicting "stuff" and spending money, I kind of wondered about why I should build a "stash" except that if you see a fabric that really sends you, I have also found that it is then difficult to match other fabrics (either color, quality, etc) to that fabulous fabric.
Interesting, good to know, thanks, I am going to save my $$
Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 AM

I am "planning" on using all mine but while all that is going on, I have gradually been clearing it out.

I have what probably would be considered a "medium" stash, and I find myself going to it pretty frequently when I am planning out a project. I am not one of those quilters that sees a pattern, likes it, buys only the fabric recommended to make that pattern or uses the same colors shown in the pattern. I may like the pattern, but will use other fabrics or colors when I make it. My stash has come in pretty handy when I need to make a plan. I don't think I will sell off any of mine.

Thurma

All of you that are fortunate too be able too have a big stash feel blessed! I don't have one nor will I have one unless we can get some cost of living increase sometimes.
Just get in there and make some gifts or something and if I was as talented as some of you, I would probably make something too carry too the nursing homes. Some of the ladies at the nursing home where my friend died yesterday carries baby dolls around and they believe that the doll is their real baby and most of them does not even have a blanket for the baby. I get so sad when I go out too that home.

Then why not either sell it if you are no longer in love (fabric not husband)with it or do a fabric exchange with friends.....they get yours you get theirs.... :roll: I have done with with several friends and we all end up happy.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 AM

I'm a new quilter and I'll take what ever you don't want. I'll pay the shipping. (:0)

Joselake
Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
Then why not either sell it if you are no longer in love (fabric not husband)with it or do a fabric exchange with friends.....they get yours you get theirs.... :roll: I have done with with several friends and we all end up happy.
I would do that except they're smarter than I...they don't buy enough to have a stash. :-D
Old 03-29-2011, 08:23 AM

I'm finding I have too much stuff...all kinds of stuff that is cluttering up everywhere so I'm in the process of de-stuffing my house. It's all good stuff, but I have decided it can go live at someone else's house. So every time Purple Heart, Vet groups, church, and Goodwill asks for donations, I'm ready with a box full. It's beginning to look better and I feel better. I'm only keeping things we actually use and want; we used to keep anything that was still good; just because it's good is not a reason any more.