Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking about de-stashing totally

Blog Entries
    How many of you reeeeeallllyyyy will use all the stash you have?
    I have several shelves filled with piles of fabric (some still on bolts), yet I always need to buy more for each quilt I make. My stash just "isn't right" even though I don't have strange colors or prints.
    Oh I might find one to use but most of the fabrics in my quilts are newly bought fabrics.
    So I'm really toying with the idea of just selling it off.

Do you think you'll ever use up your stash?

I find myself in the same position. I guess my stash is more of a collection.

I doubt if I'll use up mine. I think we're all secretly hoarders at heart! :-D In my defense, I am toying with some ideas to do with it though.

Don't know what I'll do with it all, but. . . someday. . .somehow. . .the right piece will be there. . .
    (just dreaming?)

Everybody's taste change. It is natural that things evolve. I have some things that I am not totally in love with. I have sold some and will be using them for a couple of raffle quilts. They are still beautiful and will make georgeous quilts, but not what I am looking for right now. I am really a 'buy it for a specific project' kind of girl. That being said, I am collecting some things because I do want to do a scrap quilt that is a true 'scrap'.
    I will probably have to ask for help on that too.

If you are not in love with it - then sell it (to me heheheh) and use the money to buy what you do want to use. I know that my tastes have changed greatly. Things that I thought I LOVED I now wonder WHY?!?!?!?

Remember there are no QUILT POLICE and no STASH POLICE. Do what you think is best for you. You shouldn't fret or worry or stress over your fabrics. You need to just enjoy them, work with, love them and create beautiful things with them.

I totally agree with you. I find myself having to buy more for just the right color. My older kits that I put together are no longer appealing to me. Yes, thinking of getting rid of or selling some of them.

I'm one of the few who does not have a 'stash' per se. I typically buy for projects but I usually over buy a bit - if I need 1 yd I'll usually get 1.5 yds so that I have room for boo boos. As such I have bits left over that are a stash of sorts. Enough if I need to make up a block for some reason or if I want to try new techniques or patterns. It works for me. I don't have room for a stash and I'm not a scrappy quilter so it seems to work. I enjoy the process of selecting fabrics for a given project. If I had a stash of smaller pieces I'm afraid I'd never have enough of the given fabric that I wanted. I'd go for it.

we have so much and others have nothing.....I feel the same way....

I've decided to use my stash. If I can't figure out anything better to do with some of it I'm going to just make HST's and see what I can come up with from there.

I also do bags and aprons so I'm going to just start cutting and see what happens. Yards and yards of bias is going to get made and then I'll figure out what to put it on.

We plan on a long distance move in the near future and with all of my machines and my Gammill, box after box of fabric is more than I want to worry about. Guess it would make nice packing material though.

Blog Entries
    I am determined to use up my stash and it is HUGE. If I don't make quilts, I'll make aprons. Somehow I just keep buying more.

Blog Entries
    I was just thinking about this last night.

I don't have much stash by the standards of some people on here, but I am already experiencing that feeling of "what will I ever use that for?". The thing is I like lots of contrast so even just buying FQs I end up with lots of leftovers, because I might only need a tiny piece and then I end up with lots of little bits that don't seem to quite go together. Rather than going to the trouble of finding a pattern that will work with those scraps, it is easier to just go out and buy more!

I guess kits are made for people like me, except I do not want to just make something someone else picked! For me if I am going to the trouble of handmaking something, I want it to be unique, so there is the kit option gone.

I think there is scope for more fabric swaps on here actually. I designed a little project for my sister's birthday and I was jsut thinking- great, I need about fifteen fabrics, but I only need two strips of each- how will I buy that without making it the most expensive pillow in the world?!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    How many of you reeeeeallllyyyy will use all the stash you have?
    I have several shelves filled with piles of fabric (some still on bolts), yet I always need to buy more for each quilt I make. My stash just "isn't right" even though I don't have strange colors or prints.
    Oh I might find one to use but most of the fabrics in my quilts are newly bought fabrics.
    So I'm really toying with the idea of just selling it off.

Do you think you'll ever use up your stash?
    Nope! Stash is like toilet paper. If there are less than ten mega rolls in the house, it's time to go shopping. The object of stash isn't to use it up, it's just to have enough of it.

With the prices of fabric these days, I am more than happy to have a huge stash. When I buy more, I think of it as an investment....... will I ever use it all? Probably not, but I enjoy sharing and swapping with friends if they need a certain fabric that I have and vice versa. Guess I'll just have live a very long time to use it all up.

sorry for the blank , cant seem to delete it

I am de-stashing right now--but will have LOTS left. (25 totes)
    I do lots of scrappy, but eliminating lots of yardage, and keeping FQs or 1/2 yds for color/tone needs, etc. instead of bigger pieces.
    I now have a HUGE tote of strips and have cut thousands of triangles and squares and charm pieces.
    Hope to finish this week....then let the sewing begin!

Blog Entries
    And here I was feeling deprived because all of my stash (?) pretty well fits into 3 three-tiered Sterlite storage containers. I realize now that I am far from being overwhelmed and plan (hopefully) to stay that way. As I am a scrappy quilter I use my stash (?) all the time and rarely have any leftovers (except for crumbs and/or strips that I make into bindings).

I have sold a good bit of my stash, but with the prices going up & quality going down, I will probably hold on to what I still have even though I probably will not get around to using it.

I have some right now, that I bought as a beginner and they are just thin, so I wont use for quilting, so I am making a few summer tops.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    The object of stash isn't to use it up, it's just to have enough of it.
    Oh you have dangerous ideas :twisted: :twisted:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    I think we're all secretly hoarders at heart! :-D
    I was trying to avoid that word....lol

I don't near ways have a stash like most of you on this board. I usually only buy fabric when needed for special projects or if I see fabric at auctions or yard sales, I do try to get it! Fun looking through it all! Maybe someday I will just buy the fabric for the heck of it, but doubt it!

Why don't any of you live next door to me. I only have 4 or 5 bins left from moving and destashing. I feel so impoverished. Down to only three sewing machines now and a good percentage of the rulers ever made. Hmmm, maybe I'll go sew now. There's still lots of good stuff in there.

I'm starting to use thosse pieces I just haven't used in charity quilts.
    simple quilter

I de-stashed 1/2 of my stash last summer. Now I have some breathing room.It also got my creative juices flowing again. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I de-stash on a regular basis as I am not much of a hoarder. I understand what you mean. I feel like it is shameful for me to have so much and others to have nothing so I try to get it into hands that will create with it and make something useful and useable.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast