Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking about de-stashing totally

I guarantee that if you make the decision to get rid of the stuff that you are not using, you will not miss it. I recently went through my collection and removed anything that I wasn't totally in love with and planning to use. I took huge clear heavy bags of fabric (think poly/cotton. gingham, dheap or sleezy cottons) to the Mennonite Relef Centre who manage to recycle all sorts of things. The lids fit on all my bins now and my drawers close. Will I miss this stuff? Absolutely not! I'll probably do it again this fall or winter. Quilters change their likes and styles of quilting and fabric that doesn't match your current way of stitching should go to a new home. We routinely give away clothing that we no longer wear, so why not do the same with fabric? Yes we may have purchased it but we have "outgrown" it, so give it away. No worries, no guilt and move on to buy and create for the new you.

Remember the one who dies with the most WINS!!! and I want to win.

I hope I never use all of it! And yes, I still buy more with great intentions. I just made 4 baby quilt tops for each of my nieces out of my stash. It came in handy. Now if I can get the finished befor the end of July. All 4 of my nieces are due the end of July through the end of August. Wheww - lots of work.

I don't have a large stash. it all fits into a corner of my china hutch probably have less than one of the grocery bags that you take with you. If I see something that screams at me that it needs to be in a quilt for a certain person I then collect it for their quilt. I am a new quilter and this probably is how a hording "stash" starts but I will only have four quilts in the planning stage at one time. It is not offal to want to destash, it is only offal if you just toss in the trash. I would weed out your stash those pieces that you are not totally in love with and sell them on here to those who could use a good deal. but that is just me.

I buy fabric for quilt projects and I buy fabric for my stash, some I will use and some I just cant seem to part with even though the quilt will stay at my house. funny how we quilters are.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I de-stashed last year, keeping only what I thought I would use up within a year. Everything else went to a local Project Linus group.

And I'm glad that I did it.

I still get my "fix" for shopping/seeing new fabrics when I go to work. And now I can walk in to an orderly sewing room that I'm happy to be in, rather than going into a jumbled mess that makes me depressed to look at it.

Senior Member twospoiledhuskies's Avatar
    I'm right there with you. I finally went through all my fabric and sorted all the items I didn't like. i ended up with 2 full garden size trash bags. I then let all my quilting buddies go through them to pick out any fabric they wanted.

Now I'm going to donate the rest to my quilt guild for their yearly sale. I'm very happy because I know the fabric that I have left (and there is still lots-ha ha) will be used.

Good Luck :D :D :D

Probably won't live long enough, but there's NO way I'd get rid of it. I never know when I'm going to need it. LOL

Blog Entries
    My stash started getting a bit out of hand. I do use fabrics from my stash, however there are fabrics I have outgrown and I will find new homes for. I think there is a difference also between a fabric collector and a hoarder. My opinion is that "Its a matter of knowing what you have" I became very frustrated with my stash when I went and bought the same fabric for a project and then later found I had plenty of the same fabric in the bottom of a tote and just missed finding it when I went looking for it. That said I switch all my totes to clear and organized the fabrics by dominant color.

Sew On and Sew On... lol Jen

I am new to the quilting/sewing world. Started quilting two or so years ago and was buying fabric for projects as needed. But about six months or so ago, I felt the need and urge to build a stash. I wanted to participate in the doll quilt swap here on the board, I started wanting to design my own quilts and just make things up as I go, and I am afraid that is all hard to do if you have to go shop every time. So I started buying fabrics that appeal to me in a yard or more cuts. Organzied them and I love every single piece of them.

However, being a minimalist, and someone who can't handle clutter, I had to have a plan of what fabrics to buy for stash. After some thinking, I decided that I will not be buying any novelty prints of any sort just to stash, I'd stay away from prints for special occasions or seasons just for stash and I'd mainly only get it what I call "common" fabrics, the ones that can be used in any quilt, for any purpose, and buy those in varying colors. Being a batik lover, I bought batiks, tonals, blenders and some florals since I love those. I don't have much, less than 100 yards in total, but they organized and they give me a sense of freedom that I adore.

I was just having this conversation with my husband not long ago when I was working on my first OBW and it need some umph, and I was able to just walk into the closet and pull fabs of the colors I wanted and viola, no need to interrupt my mojo by going to the store,lol.

Sorry long post, but my two cents worth.

I look at my stash as a collection...kinda like people who collect Hummel figurines. I am not sure what I am going to do with it but I like looking at it. My stash is by no means the largest I have seen but it is a good amount, folded neatly and beautiful to look at. I use a piece here and there, and I will cut up 14 inch squares and sew them together for an interesting back...my stash makes me smile.

Gee...if you really feel the need to destash throw them my way! LOL I'm so jealous of all the pictures of everyone's beautiful collections and I have one cd tower of fat quarters as my stash :( Consider yourselves lucky!!

I've been known to just go into my sewing room and just touch fabric. I feel so at peace when I do that. Uh oh....does that make me an addict? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    I plan on trying to use mine. With the price of fabrics going up, I will only have to buy a blender to go with them & make scrappy quilts. I have lots in mind, just hope I have the 'time' left to do them!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I would like to keep my stash for many reasons but sometimes I get the PIF bug.. then i feel refreshed to start a new quilting project.... Feels great to pass on so others can create....

If any of you are looking to de-stash I really need UGLIES.. and I mean uglies.. Poopie greens, mustard yellows, fierce fushia, pitiful paisleys, gawdy stripes, not so hot dots and spots and any other 'interesting' fabs for my 2in, 9patch scrappy ugly quilt...

if you feel the need to destash...
    all yall know that those of us who are beginning quilters would love the chance to build our stashes lol...
    i currently just make blocks that will one day be put together into a sampler...so for now...
    i buy a lot of fat quarters...altho since the shop hop i saw some that i did buy in yard pieces since they were outta the clearance rooms hehe

Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Nope! Stash is like toilet paper. If there are less than ten mega rolls in the house, it's time to go shopping. The object of stash isn't to use it up, it's just to have enough of it.
    Absloutely ROFLMA, we were cut from the same cloth gaigai, especially the TP bit. I am the same way with my freezer too. It seems as soon as a bit of room opens up in there I find a sale to fill it up!

I am making a concerted effort to shop my stash. I am having great fun right now with all my batiks making additional blocks to go with the ones I got in the batik block swap I participated in last year. Sometimes things you think don't go together suddenly do once you get it pieced and laid out.

I also have yardage in my stash dedicated to future projects. That stuff is seperated out. Often I will stash build and come home with my new acquistions and immediately go to my stash and see what I have that may compliment or coordinate with the new purchase. If I do, I set those items aside for a to be determined future WIP. However, once I clear space in my stash dresser it is like giving myself permission to go shopping again, just like my freezer!

Blog Entries
    Id be very happy to help u destash!!! sometimes u have decide to use up the stash if possible. There are plenty of ppl who could use a donation of fabric to a worthy cause. It is fun to go shopping for more fabric too!

If any of you are looking to de-stash I really need UGLIES.. and I mean uglies.. Poopie greens, mustard yellows, fierce fushia, pitiful paisleys, gawdy stripes, not so hot dots and spots and any other 'interesting' fabs for my 2in, 9patch scrappy ugly quilt...[/quote]

Too bad you did not post this a couple months ago--used them up for charity tops in scrappies so they would NOT be ugly!

Blog Entries
    When I actually do the de-stashing y'all here at the Board will definitely be first on the list :thumbup:
    Although you may not want some of it. At least 1/2 is Joann's and the other 1/2 LQS.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    If any of you are looking to de-stash I really need UGLIES.. and I mean uglies.. Poopie greens, mustard yellows, fierce fushia, pitiful paisleys, gawdy stripes, not so hot dots and spots and any other 'interesting' fabs for my 2in, 9patch scrappy ugly quilt...
    Too bad you did not post this a couple months ago--used them up for charity tops in scrappies so they would NOT be ugly![/quote]

bummer..!

I like the idea of having an 'ugly' quilt that I can just say "hey toss over the ugly quilt, Im cold.. '

Blog Entries
    I've decided not to buy fabric this year and see what kind of dent I can make in my stash. If all else fails, I'll just make donation tops. There is a senior group here who manages to get batting for finishing them.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I have sold a good bit of my stash, but with the prices going up & quality going down, I will probably hold on to what I still have even though I probably will not get around to using it.

I'm in agreement with DonnaJean. I don't have a huge stash, but I plan on keeping what I have and using it as I like to make more scrappy quilts.

With the prices of cotton going up and up I would re-think any plans of de-stashing and selling off what I had. This is especially true for those with the older cottons which are supposedly much better than the newer cottons.

If you are moving or need the room then I do understand the need to de-stash. IMHO I would really rethink my reason and purpose especially if you're using fabrics for quilts all the time.

Pam M

well I am guilty of doing the same thing...I have alot of material, but mostly scraps from yard sales and antique stores but none the less there is alot and I am addicted to fabric, I can't stop...LOL...I too thought about selling some of my material but i don't know if I could part with it...so does that make me a hoarder as well...LOL...so for know I will admire what I have...who knows I may not be able to afford new fabric and I will have my stash to play with...☺

I actually do use my stash. I have three quilts in progress that were totally from stash and another one that was mostly from stash. About the only thing I need to buy most of the time is backing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I actually do use my stash. I have three quilts in progress that were totally from stash and another one that was mostly from stash. About the only thing I need to buy most of the time is backing.
    Wow. I think I could too if I made scrappy type quilts but all of the ones I make need to be specific colors, etc that my relatives want. I'll preview my fabric to them but they always so no and we go buy new fabric. Gee maybe my stash is ugly?
    Didn't someone here just mention she wanted ugly fabrics....lol.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast