Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking about de-stashing totally

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I actually do use my stash. I have three quilts in progress that were totally from stash and another one that was mostly from stash. About the only thing I need to buy most of the time is backing.
    Wow. I think I could too if I made scrappy type quilts but all of the ones I make need to be specific colors, etc that my relatives want. I'll preview my fabric to them but they always so no and we go buy new fabric. Gee maybe my stash is ugly?
    Didn't someone here just mention she wanted ugly fabrics....lol.
    When I make a quilt for relatives I make them come to my house and pick one fabric. Then I pick the coordinating fabrics and the pattern. It makes it sooooooooo much simpler!!!

sell it if you aren't going to use it and use the money to buy what's right for you

lol-I could never use it up in 2 lifetimes.I sell off some and then buy more,lol.ever evolving taste in color,etc

Blog Entries
    I doubt I'll ever use all of mine, but right now I'm not buying anything new. I love the idea of making an entire quilt, including backing, (excluding batting) from my stash!! I feel almost like I made something for nothing!!

dls
    I've been de-stashing for a couple of years and now I have a lots of small projects stashed away for gifts. I have added about $300 worth of fabric to the stash. Stashes are great if you like scrappy projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolie
    I look at my stash as a collection...kinda like people who collect Hummel figurines. I am not sure what I am going to do with it but I like looking at it. My stash is by no means the largest I have seen but it is a good amount, folded neatly and beautiful to look at. I use a piece here and there, and I will cut up 14 inch squares and sew them together for an interesting back...my stash makes me smile.
    Not to mention much cheaper than Hummels..and you can handle on a regular basis without chipping.

No way will I ever use my stash up in this life or if I could live another life.

Blog Entries
    My stash has finally reached a point where it has started producing. Lately I am finding that I may purchase one, two, perhaps three new fabrics for a proposed project, primarily for inspiration, the remainder of the choices come from my stash.

I have also been evaluvating my stash and most purchases have been to fill color voids. I have been adding more backgrond fabrics (was a huge void) and I just added the dreaded color, orange.

No drastic de-stashing here, only usage. It is my repsonsibility as a citizen to contribute to the revitalization of the economy and I take this responsibility very seriously.

The way prices are going, I think a lot of us will start using more and more of our "Stash".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    I am de-stashing right now--but will have LOTS left. (25 totes)
    I do lots of scrappy, but eliminating lots of yardage, and keeping FQs or 1/2 yds for color/tone needs, etc. instead of bigger pieces.
    I now have a HUGE tote of strips and have cut thousands of triangles and squares and charm pieces.
    Hope to finish this week....then let the sewing begin!
    How are you destashing and where is it going? Just curious
    You might want to offer here on board Lots of us hoarders always looking for more lol cheryl :thumbup:

I only buy fabric for a project. Never just buy because I like it. The thing is, I'm so particular that when I get home I don't like how they match. So I have my own shop hop to get it right. That's how my stash builds, plus left overs. I did donate about 1/2 to a charity quilts group. I have 6 bins only the blue one is filled. I also find that when I get them out they aren't right for a new project. It is nice to make something small when you feel like it and already have it there...

I do not begin to have the stash many here have acquired. I think that goes back to my years of moving around when my husband was in the Navy and then school. Most of my fabric that lies in limbo has come from my two older sisters who down-sized and passed it on to me. I seem to have a guilt complex about getting rid of it. And, to tell the truth, some is very nice stuff. There are some woolens that I'm not sure can even be purchased any longer.

As far as my own quilting stash, I have used a lot of it for classes. If I ultimately don't like the technique I haven't spent too much money on the project. I have also used some in helping my granddaughters with their own projects. The youngest(11) just loves shopping my stash. I have also shown her how to find free patterns online. She can be a little hard to keep up with sometimes.:)

A place I have donated fabric is to the local high schools. It helps the students who can't afford to buy for their classes.

I just did a partial destashing. I do most of my sewing to raise $ for basset hound rescue. I had been sitting on a massive pile of beautiful fleece and was doing nothing with it. I had moved on to quilting and couldn't seem to do both. I divided up the fleece and paid it forward to 2 friends who also sew for rescue and DO use fleece. I can't tell you how relieved and unburdened I felt. Plus, I can now fit my quilting stash in the closet in my sewing room.

Blog Entries
    I have one storage container and will eventually use all of it. I buy with a particular project in mind. I am just behind in my projects... Getting there though.. don't have as much sewing time as I have had in the past. Grandbaby needs me!!!!!LOL

I'm thinking, if the time comes when I no longer can afford to quilt, then what I have in my stash will have to do, even if it isn't quite what I want at the time, it will be what I have to use. So, mine stays.

Blog Entries
    Well maybe if I quit buying but not until after 4-6-11's trek of fab shops between Toledo and Cleveland My many Thanks to every one who told me WHERE these shops are :thumbup: :thumbup: But in my defense I'd say 75% of my purchases are complete projects the other 25% is those pesky flying fabs and there always so sticky I can't put them down til I reach the counter HEY I can hear yens giggling I'd be scared of them if I didnt how lovable they are :lol:

NEVER! You will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. I love my stash. There's something comforting about it. I may run out of milk but I will never run out of fabric.

I have a decent stash but often find that I need a specific fabric for a new project.

What I started doing recently is using some of my least favorite fabrics for backings. I used to buy backings for each new quilt but now I am de-stashing 5 to 6 yeards at a time.

I feel the same way so decided to make scrap quilts for everyone the only trouble is I have to buy more material to make them look good never had the right color ohhh so confusing should I buy more or use what I got!!!!! :oops:

I definitely use my stash all the time, but depending on which pattern I decide to make, I usually have to find one or two more fabrics to fill it out. And, that's fine with me. Judging from photos people have sent in of their stash, I don't have nearly as much as everyone else. While I do feel envious looking at those gorgeous walls of fabrics, I know my taste in colors, prints etc. will change, so I do limit my purchase and never buy more than 3.5 yards of any one fabric. This works for me.

Blog Entries
    I took a class with Bonnie K Hunter last fall. After seeing her scrappy quilts and reading her book LEADERS & ENDERS, I fell in love. I am now on my 3rd full size scrappy quilt and have only bought 2 yards of material (one of the quilts had 600 hst and I wanted them to match). My stash is finally starting to look smaller.No much but some. I would make scrappy anything to destash my stash. Just remember with scrappy it is not the color that matters but the placement of your darks and lights.

I don't have huge stash, but currently using up some while adding a bit of new now and again... I used to laugh at how quilters had such big stashes.. Now I have a stash~small in comparison to many, but still currently using out of it to clear some while adding to it with others..:)

If I live long enough, you know, maybe to.....150 years young!

No will probably NEVER use it all, but it sure is fun to play in the stash. I just think what fun my friends will have when they come to "de-fabric" my quilt studio. They will be allowed to come in and haul off anything they want. Just bet there will not be much left after they all leave. Am thinking about having security to prevent fabric fights. grin

Blog Entries
    i have been thinking if doing a real charn quilt they used to be none of the same piece alll different color fabrick was thinking of asking on the other site i have if anyone wants to do a swap send unsewed blocks that way could get a bunch of different ones i do not have a large stash

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast