Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking about de-stashing totally

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrio
    Quote Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
    I am open to purchasing "de-stashed" merchandise and unappealing quilt kits. Hint Hint.... I make charity quilts for kids here in Afghanistan so I am always looking for bargains and castoffs. lol.
    there are lots of innocent kids here in USA that could use some charity also. Kids don't ask for the poor situations that become a way of life for some of them
    I support children's charities in the US too. It is more advantageous cost wise for me to make and donate to the kids locally here and do the same whenever I am in the states or in Europe. I believe that children are children regardless of where they live. The need for warmth and comfort is universal and I feel good knowing that I can do my part to help wherever I serve.

Blog Entries
    I haven't bought fabric for a long time, I do scappy, so I am able to use my stash. Most of my stash was given to me years ago ( 5 to 8 yrs ).
    I just don't like driving to the fabric store & I'm not crazy about buying online (like to touch ). :-)
    Maybe some day I will have to buy, but for now I am content with what I have ! :-) Guess I'm a little strange. :-)

I do use mine. I go there first. I admit that I have a few pieces that I wonder what was I thinking... usually large pieces. I think sometimes I buy too much and get tired of it. Those usually go into dog quilts or on the backs of something I think won't matter. Everyone is different though. I'm kind of thankful of my stash since fabric is nudging $10 a yard.

Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    I am de-stashing right now--but will have LOTS left. (25 totes)
    I do lots of scrappy, but eliminating lots of yardage, and keeping FQs or 1/2 yds for color/tone needs, etc. instead of bigger pieces.
    I now have a HUGE tote of strips and have cut thousands of triangles and squares and charm pieces.
    Hope to finish this week....then let the sewing begin!
    There must be something in the air this week that's viral about this topic! Out of the blue I started cutting strips, triangles and nickel squares out of my scraps! What's up with this?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey1

There must be something in the air this week that's viral about this topic! Out of the blue I started cutting strips, triangles and nickel squares out of my scraps! What's up with this?!
    Maybe everyone is ready (past ready) for spring to finally arrive? Just a guess. :?

I will use alot in my stash, but probably never all of it. I will be de=stashing some when I get some time. Or I should say MAKE some time.

I'm with you.......Project Linus is my choice. Making charity quilts is the most rewarding thing I do. I may never see the person, but I know I made someone's heart happy....and that is what life is about, isn't it?

I try to design a quilt using something in my stash....of course, I may not be able to complete it without buying some fabic....but I think I would panic is my stash gets down too low....if anyone wants to "destash" there are bunches of us who would buy!!!!!

Post pictures when you finish sewing them up okiepastor please

I have alot of that stuff too.... I thought about just "putting" some things together and giving them away...

Blog Entries
    piece easy things then give away to homeless shelters :thumbup: pm me, my niece just starting out no stash for her mine is limited....

Hi I am reduceing my stash making charity quilts Carmen WA

Quote Originally Posted by quilter64779
    Post pictures when you finish sewing them up okiepastor please
    I will try--just got a digital camera!
    Have LOTS of pieces to sew as soon as my "new" singer 15-91 gets here!

I will honestly say I think I am close to being a 'hoarder' when it comes to fabric. Sorry, can't help it..but, I have opened my little sewing room up to my friends that are new to quilting and have not built up a stash. I encourage them to come look to see if there is something on my shelves they could use. t gives us a chance to visit and share ideas.

lue
    I have an addiction to fabrics. I love to feel them, look at them...and eventually make something wonderful from them. It's the "eventually" that is dangerous. I also have to watch a tendency to fill an emotional hole with STUFF. I went to Goodwill yesterday and always look in the fabrics. I saw four beautiful (less than a yard) pieces that were wonderful colors for children's quilt but then Ithought..."And when will you finish your current projects, Missy?!" I decided against buying them even though they were a "good deal" (another of my issues) because I'm going to a Stash Sale in a few weeks where I can load up (only taking a specific amount of money). Is that HOPELESS or what???!!!

I save my stash for the day I run out of money to buy new fabric. Then I'll still have something to sew with :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    How many of you reeeeeallllyyyy will use all the stash you have?
    I have several shelves filled with piles of fabric (some still on bolts), yet I always need to buy more for each quilt I make. My stash just "isn't right" even though I don't have strange colors or prints.
    Oh I might find one to use but most of the fabrics in my quilts are newly bought fabrics.
    So I'm really toying with the idea of just selling it off.

Do you think you'll ever use up your stash?
    Nope! Stash is like toilet paper. If there are less than ten mega rolls in the house, it's time to go shopping. The object of stash isn't to use it up, it's just to have enough of it.
    Ha Ha Ha!! Good analogy! Except toilet paper isn't nearly as pretty!

Blog Entries
    I also have o lot of little fabric pices! I started sew these, as seen in the picture. Look this page: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-104270-1.htm
    View my step by step:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...00001947565630
    Enjoy!

I have several shelves filled with piles of fabric (some still on bolts), yet I always need to buy more for each quilt I make. My stash just "isn't right" even though I don't have strange colors or prints.
    Oh I might find one to use but most of the fabrics in my quilts are newly bought fabrics.

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tothenci
    I also have o lot of little fabric pices! I started sew these, as seen in the picture. Look this page: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-104270-1.htm
    View my step by step:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...00001947565630
    Enjoy!
    P.s.
    My latest attempt under the guidance of Alicia Merrett:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXFh...feature=relmfu

I do not have a huge stash by standards of some. But I do find myself going to my stash to use it for smaller projects. I don't seem to use as much for the bigger projects. But I love the idea of fabric swaps and have done a couple. I also swap at my guild too.

I have 3 good size sterilite containers for my stash and once they are stuffed I don't allow myself to buy any more fabric or I would quickly get overwhelmed. My daughters tell me I get Obsessive Compulsive Disorder everytime I go into a fabric store. I have found this forces me to use my stash and make more quilts rather than just shopping for fabric all the time. I am definatly a fabriholic!!

i don't think there is anyway possible to use up my stash but I can dream. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    I'm one of the few who does not have a 'stash' per se. I typically buy for projects but I usually over buy a bit - if I need 1 yd I'll usually get 1.5 yds so that I have room for boo boos. As such I have bits left over that are a stash of sorts. Enough if I need to make up a block for some reason or if I want to try new techniques or patterns. It works for me. I don't have room for a stash and I'm not a scrappy quilter so it seems to work. I enjoy the process of selecting fabrics for a given project. If I had a stash of smaller pieces I'm afraid I'd never have enough of the given fabric that I wanted. I'd go for it.
    I have reached the same conclusion as you have. Every once in a while I will see a scrappy quilt that takes my attention and I will use my leftover pieces in it but I only buy for specific projects.

Blog Entries
    I started pulling fat quarters and fabric that have been stored for a long time and cutting it in strips. I separate them by light and dark. NOT by color. I strip sew on paper and toss the filled paper in a basket. It's amazing how fast the strip sewing is. I have plenty of blocks to cut to shape to make a fast quilt when I need it. I started this a few months ago and I love it. Sometimes I don't want to sew on a project but want to sew something.

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    I doubt if I'll use up mine. I think we're all secretly hoarders at heart! :-D In my defense, I am toying with some ideas to do with it though.

Stashes can be made into needed charity quilts for children in hospitals, and many other places to place them.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast