Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking about de-stashing totally

One way to use up a stash in a hurry and Help others is..Make Pillow cases for a local charity...it take 3/4 of a yard for the main part and 1/4 (true cut) for the cuff. Nursing homes love them because it puts color in the rooms and the residents love them too.

Well I am both a quilter and fabric collector.

Actually I do use a lot of stash. That is how I plan my quilt. I get stash out and plan and shop from my stash. It is one of the aspects I like the most about making a quilt. It does dictate quilt pattern choice etc. but that seems to be part of the challenge I enjoy.

Most of my quilts are all stash except for the backing and some times the border.

I think it all depends on what type of quilts you make. I make mostly scrap quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenly Threads
    One way to use up a stash in a hurry and Help others is..Make Pillow cases for a local charity...it take 3/4 of a yard for the main part and 1/4 (true cut) for the cuff. Nursing homes love them because it puts color in the rooms and the residents love them too.
    Now that is a good idea, to give them to nursing homes, too! I have made them for children's hospitals, and for a wounded warrior quilt encasement, but not for the elderly. Love that idea, too!

Quote Originally Posted by AgnesGrey
    I have 3 good size sterilite containers for my stash and once they are stuffed I don't allow myself to buy any more fabric or I would quickly get overwhelmed. My daughters tell me I get Obsessive Compulsive Disorder everytime I go into a fabric store. I have found this forces me to use my stash and make more quilts rather than just shopping for fabric all the time. I am definatly a fabriholic!!
    Oh my goodness, aren't we all?

I definately use my stash!! It really gets my creative juices flowing. And also, I often find that the fabric I thought wasn't just right turns out to be perfect in the finished quilt! I challenge myself to use stuff from my stash rather than go out and buy more fabric!

Well, 2 or 3 years ago, I would never have thought I could use up my stash...but economic times being what they are, I have been dipping into my stash for all my quilts----I don't remember the last time I bought any substantial yardage---the last fabric purchase I made was 2 weeks ago and that was just a remnant. So, yeah, there is a possibility I could eventually use up all my stash---although mine is not as extensive as some people have!

After many moves I have destashed several times and am being more careful on the purchases- doesn't mean I still don't have more than I need. Add up what you spent and what that money could have been used for and you will find yourself cringing. I still like to have fabric on hand, but when I can fill garbage bag after garbage bag full of fabric I don't like anymore to donate somewhere, I know I am out of control.
    here's another thought- take someone under your wing and teach them how to make something form some of your stash.
    I was thinking of that because of my Grandfather. After retiring from farming he took up carpentry and did some amazing work to include rails and offering plates for the church. He was a very quiet man who did things when the adults weren't looking- like pop his dentures out to make us laugh. ANyways, he would take us, the grandkids, into his workshop, no adults were allowed.In his shop we made what ever we could imaging from his scrap piles that were cut in fasinating shapes. Whether he realized it or not his few moments with us helped spur our imaginations to look beyond the obvious and that he was there to help us achieve that vision we saw in those pieces of scrap.

Blog Entries
    as a new quilter, good to hear that this "stash" business is an excuse for collicting "stuff" and spending money, I kind of wondered about why I should build a "stash" except that if you see a fabric that really sends you, I have also found that it is then difficult to match other fabrics (either color, quality, etc) to that fabulous fabric.
    Interesting, good to know, thanks, I am going to save my $$

I am "planning" on using all mine but while all that is going on, I have gradually been clearing it out.

I have what probably would be considered a "medium" stash, and I find myself going to it pretty frequently when I am planning out a project. I am not one of those quilters that sees a pattern, likes it, buys only the fabric recommended to make that pattern or uses the same colors shown in the pattern. I may like the pattern, but will use other fabrics or colors when I make it. My stash has come in pretty handy when I need to make a plan. I don't think I will sell off any of mine.

Thurma

All of you that are fortunate too be able too have a big stash feel blessed! I don't have one nor will I have one unless we can get some cost of living increase sometimes.
    Just get in there and make some gifts or something and if I was as talented as some of you, I would probably make something too carry too the nursing homes. Some of the ladies at the nursing home where my friend died yesterday carries baby dolls around and they believe that the doll is their real baby and most of them does not even have a blanket for the baby. I get so sad when I go out too that home.

Then why not either sell it if you are no longer in love (fabric not husband)with it or do a fabric exchange with friends.....they get yours you get theirs.... :roll: I have done with with several friends and we all end up happy.

I'm a new quilter and I'll take what ever you don't want. I'll pay the shipping. (:0)

Joselake

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    Then why not either sell it if you are no longer in love (fabric not husband)with it or do a fabric exchange with friends.....they get yours you get theirs.... :roll: I have done with with several friends and we all end up happy.
    I would do that except they're smarter than I...they don't buy enough to have a stash. :-D

I'm finding I have too much stuff...all kinds of stuff that is cluttering up everywhere so I'm in the process of de-stuffing my house. It's all good stuff, but I have decided it can go live at someone else's house. So every time Purple Heart, Vet groups, church, and Goodwill asks for donations, I'm ready with a box full. It's beginning to look better and I feel better. I'm only keeping things we actually use and want; we used to keep anything that was still good; just because it's good is not a reason any more.

Blog Entries
    I hoard all pieces that can be used in applique, even little pieces, have a tub full but then I have the perfect red, blue, green for a project LOL

To the one who stated blessed to have a stash and needing an increase in cost of living to affod a statsh. You're right all accounts. There are a lot of things we can do. There also are options for getting fabric by being creative. Will the tightening of the economy and prices going up those creative ways to do things are being rejuvinated. Turning items of clothing into fabric chunks is one great way. Using a worn quilt or a old blanket for batting- this is not a new idea- look at some of the old farm quilts and you'll find layer upon layer. In times of wealth we become complacent and allow others to think for us and be the inventors. In times of want and need we learn just how durable we are and take pride at what we can make and do with our own hands.

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenda S
    I will honestly say I think I am close to being a 'hoarder' when it comes to fabric. Sorry, can't help it..but, I have opened my little sewing room up to my friends that are new to quilting and have not built up a stash. I encourage them to come look to see if there is something on my shelves they could use. t gives us a chance to visit and share ideas.
    That sounds like a good idea to have people over to share and visit. I may do that. Cool!

My stash is my treasure. I'm reducing the size by organizing by color and insisting on using what's there. Getting more fabric requires going out of town (there's no quilt shop in our town!). I've gotten two blue ribbons at our county fair by using this method with discipline. try it!

Quote Originally Posted by BabyCakes
    I de-stashed 1/2 of my stash last summer. Now I have some breathing room.It also got my creative juices flowing again. :thumbup:
    This sounds like a good idea to me. My stash seems to overwhelm me at times.

Blog Entries
    last year i felt the same way , so i cut all the the smaller fabrics (anything under a fat quarter) and some bigger ones that for some reason i didn't like , anyhoo last year i made 18 quilts from scrapes and gave them away to family and friends , i still have scraps but not as many , just don't let it over whelm you , good luck and needless to say i made a lot of people happy

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    Do you think you'll ever use up your stash?
    Nadine,
    Amazing that you wrote about this. They say great
    minds think alike, so we must both be great! :D

I have been thinking about selling everything for a while
    now myself, and even wrote out a message to the Board
    but didn't post it. From what I'm seeing in the
    responses, it seems like a lot of people are thinking that
    way. I have already 'purged' my stash twice now, and
    gleaned about 10 big black garbage bags the first time,
    and about 4 the second time. I'm still left with about
    25 large plastic boxes full. But like others have said,
    with the price of fabric going up so much, I might better
    hold onto it. The only problem I have is that I'm not
    making up what I have, so something definitely has
    to change.
    Have a Blessed Day!

I have a friend that has gotten rid of all her stash. She donated it to her church to make charity quilts. She says she took a write off for charitable donation and feels so much better about not having it now. She buys only what she needs for one project at a time. Seems to be working for her but I don't have much of a selection here. It is a small community and only one small quilt shop. No WalMart fabric area, no JoAnns. I keep my stash and use it and will add when I travel. Ann in TN

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    How many of you reeeeeallllyyyy will use all the stash you have?
    I have several shelves filled with piles of fabric (some still on bolts), yet I always need to buy more for each quilt I make. My stash just "isn't right" even though I don't have strange colors or prints.
    Oh I might find one to use but most of the fabrics in my quilts are newly bought fabrics.
    So I'm really toying with the idea of just selling it off.

Do you think you'll ever use up your stash?

Nadine, I see stahses posted that could start a small fabric store and my tiny stash I'm trying to accumilate and I'm blown away. I make quilts for" Kids 4 Quilts" all my fabrbic, time and batting is voluntary. I can buy a few fat sqares evry now and then from my social security and occassionally someone gives me some scrap material that's left from craft projects. I wouldn't know how to make a quilt without trying to make scraps of this that and the other thing trying to blend. Have my pick from a closet full of colors would be like being a kid in a candy store, for a few minutes. :-D

Blog Entries
    With the little " stash" as you call it, the little amount of fabric I do have , is used, all the way to the 2 inch piece which is as small as I go.. I think that if I had more, it wouldnt be any different, because like Ricky Tims has called some quilts, " Where Rubber meets the Roar", those are my scraps being used to bless others where I donate them - because they have need of quilts for warmth, and security, not just for the sake of having one.. if that makes sense.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast