Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking about de-stashing totally

Quote Originally Posted by zipit
    I've decided to use my stash. If I can't figure out anything better to do with some of it I'm going to just make HST's and see what I can come up with from there.

I also do bags and aprons so I'm going to just start cutting and see what happens. Yards and yards of bias is going to get made and then I'll figure out what to put it on.

We plan on a long distance move in the near future and with all of my machines and my Gammill, box after box of fabric is more than I want to worry about. Guess it would make nice packing material though.
    When I did several moves in 4 years, I justified my stash by using it for packing. Cleaner than newspaper. but what a mess getting it reorganized. In the meantime, I couldn't find a thing, not that I really had time for quilting back then. I'm keeping my stash for the next move.

Ouch, my send button must be doing an automatic reclick.

I have the same problem my tastes have changed so much since I started.

Yes, I'm determined to use up my stash, I have a moderate stash compared to some and it's still 'too much'. I'm on a 'no buying fabric' pledge and use up what I've got already. If you really hate the fabric you bought, and don't plan on scrappy quilts, then sell it! You might make a profit as fabric prices have climbed recently!
    Blessings,
    MaryAnna

Yes, I'm determined to use up my stash, I have a moderate stash compared to some and it's still 'too much'. I'm on a 'no buying fabric' pledge and use up what I've got already. If you really hate the fabric you bought, and don't plan on scrappy quilts, then sell it! You might make a profit as fabric prices have climbed recently!
    Blessings,
    MaryAnna

If you use that extra special fabric you're saving for something extra special you may fine something more extra special for it and then it'll be gone.

I also do charity work. I make quilts for afganistan soildiers to fit the gurneys, and also make quilts for children, and I thinking of trying to make some quilts for Japan they need 3000. If you really want to get rid of your rements offer a price since I ask for donations.

[email protected]

Blog Entries
    No, I'm keeping my stash.. Two years ago I determinded that I had too much stash.. so I began an austarity program.. no buying anymore fabric. I did allow myself to buy something to finish a project, Like the backing on a quilt.. It's been two years and I have not bought much at all. I intend to do that until the stash is used up.. when that happens I will probably quit making quilts.

I'm beginning to feel the same way.

My stash will be passed on to my daughters who both quilt.

For my first quilt I bought exactly what the rules said I needed, and had to buy another piece altogether (couldn't find what I had) and thus began my stash. My husband is a "pusher" and encourages me to buy fabric. He loves what I've done and realizes how happy I am doing it. He estimates I have several thousand dollars of fabric in my sewing room.

I do use my stash a lot. I have a system. My really small pieces are in a plastic drawer (one of those stack shelf units), the larger pieces that are cut into squares or rectangles fill another drawer. 8 other drawers are filled with smaller pieces of material (about fat quarter size), organized by colors. This really helps me use my small stash pieces as I sew.

I have yards of larger fabrics in my cupboard. A lot of them are music themed because I do a lot of sewing for an incredible boy boy choir (they have won emmys!). These will get used!

I have a lot of kiddie prints which I failed to use for my grandkids who are outgrowing them. These are finding their way to my church and to St. Vincent de Paul's.

I also have a lot of animal prints because I like to do "pictures" in my quilting. It can be very hard to find a certain dog, or eagle, or deer when it's needed.

I also have well several labeled boxes filled with a particular person or purpose in mind, and these include both large and smaller pieces.

The other larger pieces are, mostly, fabrics I see as very special to me and they are used constantly. I try to keep them by color (in general) but I plow through them regularly and have to set "clean up" days to get them organized. I keep them on the shelf folded so that the fold is out and I can see enough of the fabric enough to id it. By getting my stash in shape every few quilts it bring what I have to mind, and this helps me when planning the next quilt.

Since I can find the general place for the possible colors, etc. I find myself digging out several possibilities and, almost always finding the best piece for that emphasis I'm looking for.

And finally, we have exchanges in the quilt guild and there is always the Linus groups. Someone thought every fabric sold was good enough to be printed and sold, and often it is happily claimed by some happy quilter.

As long as I keep things organized I am happy and quilting like crazy. And yes, hubby and I do run off together, so we are both doing our thing!!!!

Sorry I'm so wordy, but this subject spoke to me! I'm going to keep my stash fat and me happy!

Blog Entries
    Mine isnt much of a "stash" I have been quilting for 4 or 5 years , and during that time I have been trying to build a small supply of extra cloth but mostly I have been busy working and making a go of 2 totally different business,and raising our daughters, then collage slipped up on us.My husband was layed off a job He had been at 26 years and was blessed to find another job.So I find a pattern I like then buy the fabric I want for that pattern and then put it back till the time is right to sew. Therefore my "stash" gets small during winter and collage tuition months and builds up in summer months when there is a little more ease with bills. I dont feel bad over my fabric stash . I am careful not to let it grow out of control.

Blog Entries
    I quilt in my MTH, I bought a big fishing box for all my quilt notions,cutting toos etc, I than put up hooks to hang my rulers from,bought 2 totes from Joann's and thats my fabric, sewing machine Janome is with me the viking stays with the kids,,,,,works out great

Blog Entries
    Always quilting, Unfortunately, I don't really need to worry about having an over abundance of fabric. Right now I need fabric for baby quilts and spiritual topic fabric. Do you plan to sell any of your stash? Feel free to email me... [email protected] Thanks
    BobbiSue

Blog Entries
    I don't really have a stash per se`. I have a lot of pieces of this and that, some given to me, some purchased here and some I have purchased at sales. And I think I have too much with that! I keep thinking I will get to the scraps and just sew em all together in strips and/or cut into squares. I marvel at the stashes I see here on the board. I know I love fabric and would possibly be in the same catagory if I had started this years ago. :)

Blog Entries
    Gypsy, please contact me regarding your fabric. I may have an interest in it... Thanks
    [email protected]

Blog Entries
    Nancy Lou, I love the quilt you use in your post... I lovve the older style patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    How many of you reeeeeallllyyyy will use all the stash you have?
    I have several shelves filled with piles of fabric (some still on bolts), yet I always need to buy more for each quilt I make. My stash just "isn't right" even though I don't have strange colors or prints.
    Oh I might find one to use but most of the fabrics in my quilts are newly bought fabrics.
    So I'm really toying with the idea of just selling it off.

Do you think you'll ever use up your stash?
    Now see there, if you didn't have your stash you won't have found that one to go in your quilt that you bought all new fabrics for....tada!!

Formerly NY, IL, AL, TN, HI, FL, AL, MD and Germany. Now living in TN again. Moving to Arkansas
    This reeks of heresy! De-stashing?! What next? Sending all chocolate into outer space for all of eternity?
    Mercy! I think I'm hyperventilating. I'll be okay as soon as I go roll around in my stash for a while.

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by luvstitches
    I totally agree with you. I find myself having to buy more for just the right color. My older kits that I put together are no longer appealing to me. Yes, thinking of getting rid of or selling some of them.
    OK, so what are you waiting for. I ALWAYS look at the fabrics for sale. Start posting. Please, and thank you. :)

I have several shelves filled with piles of fabric (some still on bolts), yet I always need to buy more for each quilt I make. My stash just "isn't right" even though I don't have strange colors or prints.
    Oh I might find one to use but most of the fabrics in my quilts are newly bought fabrics.

No but I plan to have a GREAT TIME trying to use up my stash!

:lol:

Do a SWAP. Swap like amts. of fabric with others who a also looking for something a little diff. than what they have. Kind of like a game. If you send a FQ of something RED, to someone on the board with R as the first letter in the name, etc... Or get people together (all over the board), and every one send a FQ (or what ever you want), to the name below them (or on the left, right, next state, time zone, etc). I'm sure that a lot of people would join in. I know I would. It could be like picking names out of a hat for a gift exchange. Just a thought.

I do buy new fabrics for specific projects. However, I love scrappy quilts and I usually keep one going to work on while I am working on my other projects or until I decide on my next planned project. I just started quilting about a year ago and have built a modest stash as compared to many others. Most of the fabrics I have bought on sale or from the bin of end cuts. It will take me many years to use up what I have, but I know that if I get in a position where I can't buy new fabrics, I will still be able to make my scrappy quilts. I think I'll hang on to my stash and add to it when I find beautiful fabric on sale!

I have decided to shop in my stash while trying to not purchase anything without a purpose in mind, I have found a lot of fabric in those cabinets, but will probably have to buy some pieces to go with some of it, :D

Blog Entries

Step back from your stash...this is an intervention. We are taking you to a concealed area until you have detoxed out of whatever your on. You will then be returned to your stash and you family. No need to thank me...was glad I was in the right place at the right time! LOL

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast