Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm thinking about de-stashing totally >

I'm thinking about de-stashing totally

I'm thinking about de-stashing totally

Old 03-29-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Maurene
The idea of cutting up everything into scrappy pieces is great. Does anyone else do this? I suppose sorting them into different colours would be helpful.
This thread is so timely. Last night I was reading Bonnie Hunter's method of using her scraps. Here it is: http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml
I don't want to get rid of my stash as much as I would like to organize it to make it a little easier to search through when I need something. I love scrappy quilts so I like a lot of variety.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:13 AM

This is what I've been doing with my stash lately.....when i sign up for classes at my LQS, I fist go to my stash and try to use as many fabrics from there. I've used up alot by doing this. I'm also going to use up the rest by making pillowcases and small projects. I'm like you and have decided that having a stash of material is just not worth it! I very rarely use it in a quilt project and it just sits there nagging at me to be used!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:14 AM

I read an article that Japan needs 3000 quilts. My heart just sunk. Older ones probably would like asian material and of course the younger cartoons or whatever. Im hoping to get a discount on material. I will have to send some. I cant imagine how sad this is.

Candykisses31061
Old 03-29-2011, 04:18 AM

I know exactly what you mean. It DOES seem like a kind of hoarding, doesn't it? And I love my fabric, but when I go to make a quilt (which seems very infrequent anymore) I don't use what I have, I buy more...now WHY is that?? The gadgets that come out?? I feel I NEED them! Do I finally use them?? not so much! When I look at my stash, I think "oh that would be so nice if I coordinated it with these pieces over here) but do I do it?? Nope!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
I am de-stashing right now--but will have LOTS left. (25 totes)
25 totes!! you have much more than I do. Maybe my destashing won't be so bad after all... :-)
Old 03-29-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
How many of you reeeeeallllyyyy will use all the stash you have?
I have several shelves filled with piles of fabric (some still on bolts), yet I always need to buy more for each quilt I make. My stash just "isn't right" even though I don't have strange colors or prints.
Oh I might find one to use but most of the fabrics in my quilts are newly bought fabrics.
So I'm really toying with the idea of just selling it off.

Do you think you'll ever use up your stash?
I have a niece who, like her mother, my sister, is not interested in quilting. But the other day, she (my niece) asked if she could have some fabric to make headbands for her sports team. So I let her go through my stash and take what she wanted. It was painful to just let "quilting" fabric go so quickly, but my sister said those 20 or so girls had such a wonderful time enjoying my fabric it was worth it. That's what I always hope a quilt will do! So - new use of my stash I was not expecting! But no, I don't think I'll ever use it all!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:35 AM

Last summer I took a BUNCH of scraps to the a quilt shop here that house "Linus" club. They make quilts for children in hospitals. They are always accepting scraps so long as it is cotton. I had a very large garbage bag that I took.

You could donate your scraps and it would be appreciated and used.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:37 AM

since my house burnt to the ground I have started to build my stash again, I am not to worried about colours as yet as I know that one day I will have just what I want to make what I nead, I have had many offers of help but only 2 followed thru and I must thank them as the fabric they gave me is beatutiful
and I can now remake my mothers lap quilt and my DD & SILs quilt that went up in the fire,
I also thank my LQS store who all got together and gave me a plastic drawer set alost full of fabric fro little bits and peices to larger peices. so thank you all that came to my rescue. I can't imagine selling my stash it is much to pretiouse to sell
Old 03-29-2011, 04:38 AM

I seriously doubt that I will ever be able to use my stash. My wonderful sons have told me they will give it away at my funeral/memorial service! LOL! Actually, I think it is a grand idea.

Mandy
Old 03-29-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by zipit
I've decided to use my stash. If I can't figure out anything better to do with some of it I'm going to just make HST's and see what I can come up with from there.

I also do bags and aprons so I'm going to just start cutting and see what happens. Yards and yards of bias is going to get made and then I'll figure out what to put it on.

We plan on a long distance move in the near future and with all of my machines and my Gammill, box after box of fabric is more than I want to worry about. Guess it would make nice packing material though.
One of the women I took a class from once upon a time, had cut her fabric collection into 2.5 inch strips (before they were popular)--she found the cut pieces easier to move. Maybe that will work for you.