Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking about de-stashing totally

Blog Entries
    I have challenged myself to FIRST use my stash on every new project. I buy more fabric ONLY if I absolutely can't find what I need in my stash.

That said, if you decide to sell your stash, please let me be one of the buyers!

Blog Entries
    De-stashing? That is scary!!!! I love mine and really enjoy going through it and coming up with a new quilt! No way I will ever use it all but I keep trying. Too, if I find a bargain, I add MORE!

Blog Entries
    you do realize why we have stashes don't you? 1. we love fabric and buy it because we like it 2. this is the most important one. Each year they come out with NEW lines of fabric and of course they are to die for so we must have them, then we notice they don't quite match what we already have, the reds are a differnt shade, etc. and thus a stash is created. The trick is to take some of your stash along to the LQS and match up something! You can do it. I have faith in you. I will be the one right behind you buying something to match mine!

Probably not, but I'm going to have fun trying...and of course, the complimentary fabric will not be found in my stash...the right color hasn't been created yet!

Think that'll work? :thumbup:

I know that I will never use my stash, I would have to live to be about 500 years old. But as had been mentioned, prices are going so high now that I think my stash is worth more than I paid for it, but you never get that much when you sell it. My biggest problem is that I have run out of places to store my stash so may have to reduce it a little.

Quote Originally Posted by FranCFries
    Do a SWAP. Swap like amts. of fabric with others who a also looking for something a little diff. than what they have. Kind of like a game. If you send a FQ of something RED, to someone on the board with R as the first letter in the name, etc... Or get people together (all over the board), and every one send a FQ (or what ever you want), to the name below them (or on the left, right, next state, time zone, etc). I'm sure that a lot of people would join in. I know I would. It could be like picking names out of a hat for a gift exchange. Just a thought.
    I'll swap some fabric ( or preferably a UFO) with you!
    PM me! Jeannie

I have some stash but nothing compared to some of you guys and gals. Seems a shame not to use the scraps. I discovered the love of scrappin it several years ago. I have some yardage but most of my stash is scraps which I love to use in new scrap patterns. If ya'all don't want your scraps, send them to me and I will use them up for you. lol.

Banned
    Why stash in the first place?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kappy
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    How many of you reeeeeallllyyyy will use all the stash you have?
    I have several shelves filled with piles of fabric (some still on bolts), yet I always need to buy more for each quilt I make. My stash just "isn't right" even though I don't have strange colors or prints.
    Oh I might find one to use but most of the fabrics in my quilts are newly bought fabrics.
    So I'm really toying with the idea of just selling it off.

Do you think you'll ever use up your stash?
    Step back from your stash...this is an intervention. We are taking you to a concealed area until you have detoxed out of whatever your on. You will then be returned to your stash and you family. No need to thank me...was glad I was in the right place at the right time! LOL
    Too funny! I'm feeling better already :D :D

Blog Entries
    My feeling exactly.I'm gearing up to make a scrap quilt & been pulling fabrics from my stash.Maybe not the biggest stash,but enough that I don't have to buy more fabric.Enough for batting & backing too.Works for me & I intend to keep shopping stash.Making a game of it to see how much cheaper that is,than adding to the economy. :)

too
    Quote Originally Posted by milp04
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I have sold a good bit of my stash, but with the prices going up & quality going down, I will probably hold on to what I still have even though I probably will not get around to using it.

I'm in agreement with DonnaJean. I don't have a huge stash, but I plan on keeping what I have and using it as I like to make more scrappy quilts.

With the prices of cotton going up and up I would re-think any plans of de-stashing and selling off what I had. This is especially true for those with the older cottons which are supposedly much better than the newer cottons.

If you are moving or need the room then I do understand the need to de-stash. IMHO I would really rethink my reason and purpose especially if you're using fabrics for quilts all the time.

Pam M

I saq a link which showed a lady's control of her stash by cutting into different sized strips and then storing them in plastic containers (drawers. My computer's ink supply was running low and I did not run off a hard copy. Could you please direct me to that link again. I went to the store and got new ink but I can't find the link. Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbiSue
    Nancy Lou, I love the quilt you use in your post... I lovve the older style patterns!
    Thank-you BobbiSue! :)

I think quilting, like any hobby, we tend to keep our eyes out for something new, or different that we don't have. or forgot we have.
    I did it yrs ago,when I was into designing/decoration stationery and greeting cards. Every time I went to town I can home with more supplies. plus new art/design books.

My daughter says she did the same with scrapbooking and now with jewlery making. Later we wonder why we bought so much.

I figure when I am home working on my hobbies I am not out spending money or gambling or such, which can run into money too.

PS no I will never use up my stash, but have fun trying.

Blog Entries
    So I can shop right here at home.Besides, mine was bought before fabric hit the prices they get now & looks like prices will go even higher. Whew! Thank heaven for stash!!

Quote Originally Posted by mayday
    Why stash in the first place?

Our sewing ministry, making dresses for children in Guatemala and Brazil, would love to help you with this problem. We survive on donations. Maybe there is a group like us near you!

Blog Entries
    I will never use my stash. And I probably would have saved lots of money in the long run if I had just bought fabrics for individual projects. But I get a huge thrill of digging through my stash and finding just the right fabric for a project, or finding something different than what is out there now for sale. My stash goes back 30 years and I find lots of gems at the bottom of some of my containers. Sweet!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newbee
    My stash goes back 30 years and I find lots of gems at the bottom of some of my containers. Sweet!!
    30 years! Wow....I think my oldest fabric is only 4 yrs. I'd love to look through yours!

To A1Crafter: This might have been posted elsewhere in this thread, but here's a great link: http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by lynnsim
    To A1Crafter: This might have been posted elsewhere in this thread, but here's a great link: http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml

Thanks for sharing that, there is a wealth of ideas there. :thumbup:

Wow! I'm trying to build a stash and if any of you want to help me I'll be so grateful. Just pm me :mrgreen:

I know how you feel. I was just thinking I need to get rid of some of the fat quarters I have. I don't think I will ever really use most of them. It's kinda like an addiction...LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    Quote Originally Posted by newbee
    My stash goes back 30 years and I find lots of gems at the bottom of some of my containers. Sweet!!
    30 years! Wow....I think my oldest fabric is only 4 yrs. I'd love to look through yours!
    It's funny because I loved the fabric, then didn't like it but held on to it, and now I love most of it again. I make charity quilts so its fun to make some "retro" ones from fabric I just have stored forever. I have vintage fabric that gives a whole new meaning to "vintage." LOL

Please keep in mind that prices on cotton fabric is going up - that's no a rumor it's a fact - I have very little stash well a lot for me put compared to some quilter that have posted pictures I have a penny worth from dollar - but I too have material that I bought with a specific person in mind my 3 granddaughter for instance - well I didn't get to their quilt yet but they grew and their taste has changed - I'm old enough to like younger looking things but they are at an age that young can be offensive lol so chose wisely but in the end you alone can decide.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnsim
    That's the one I was looking for. Thank you so much.

Blog Entries
    I feel the same as most of the ladies, but I have been making quilts w/o going to the shops on purpose and it takes longer to decide but it can be done.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast