Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm thinking about de-stashing totally >

I'm thinking about de-stashing totally

I'm thinking about de-stashing totally

Old 03-29-2011, 02:47 AM

I only buy fabric for a project. Never just buy because I like it. The thing is, I'm so particular that when I get home I don't like how they match. So I have my own shop hop to get it right. That's how my stash builds, plus left overs. I did donate about 1/2 to a charity quilts group. I have 6 bins only the blue one is filled. I also find that when I get them out they aren't right for a new project. It is nice to make something small when you feel like it and already have it there...
Old 03-29-2011, 03:00 AM

I do not begin to have the stash many here have acquired. I think that goes back to my years of moving around when my husband was in the Navy and then school. Most of my fabric that lies in limbo has come from my two older sisters who down-sized and passed it on to me. I seem to have a guilt complex about getting rid of it. And, to tell the truth, some is very nice stuff. There are some woolens that I'm not sure can even be purchased any longer.

As far as my own quilting stash, I have used a lot of it for classes. If I ultimately don't like the technique I haven't spent too much money on the project. I have also used some in helping my granddaughters with their own projects. The youngest(11) just loves shopping my stash. I have also shown her how to find free patterns online. She can be a little hard to keep up with sometimes.:)

A place I have donated fabric is to the local high schools. It helps the students who can't afford to buy for their classes.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:00 AM

I just did a partial destashing. I do most of my sewing to raise $ for basset hound rescue. I had been sitting on a massive pile of beautiful fleece and was doing nothing with it. I had moved on to quilting and couldn't seem to do both. I divided up the fleece and paid it forward to 2 friends who also sew for rescue and DO use fleece. I can't tell you how relieved and unburdened I felt. Plus, I can now fit my quilting stash in the closet in my sewing room.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:01 AM

I have one storage container and will eventually use all of it. I buy with a particular project in mind. I am just behind in my projects... Getting there though.. don't have as much sewing time as I have had in the past. Grandbaby needs me!!!!!LOL
Old 03-29-2011, 03:04 AM

I'm thinking, if the time comes when I no longer can afford to quilt, then what I have in my stash will have to do, even if it isn't quite what I want at the time, it will be what I have to use. So, mine stays.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:17 AM

Well maybe if I quit buying but not until after 4-6-11's trek of fab shops between Toledo and Cleveland My many Thanks to every one who told me WHERE these shops are :thumbup: :thumbup: But in my defense I'd say 75% of my purchases are complete projects the other 25% is those pesky flying fabs and there always so sticky I can't put them down til I reach the counter HEY I can hear yens giggling I'd be scared of them if I didnt how lovable they are :lol:
Old 03-29-2011, 03:19 AM

NEVER! You will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. I love my stash. There's something comforting about it. I may run out of milk but I will never run out of fabric.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:24 AM

I have a decent stash but often find that I need a specific fabric for a new project.

What I started doing recently is using some of my least favorite fabrics for backings. I used to buy backings for each new quilt but now I am de-stashing 5 to 6 yeards at a time.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:27 AM

I feel the same way so decided to make scrap quilts for everyone the only trouble is I have to buy more material to make them look good never had the right color ohhh so confusing should I buy more or use what I got!!!!! :oops:
Old 03-29-2011, 03:28 AM

I definitely use my stash all the time, but depending on which pattern I decide to make, I usually have to find one or two more fabrics to fill it out. And, that's fine with me. Judging from photos people have sent in of their stash, I don't have nearly as much as everyone else. While I do feel envious looking at those gorgeous walls of fabrics, I know my taste in colors, prints etc. will change, so I do limit my purchase and never buy more than 3.5 yards of any one fabric. This works for me.