Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking about de-stashing totally

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marciacp
    I have already 'purged' my stash twice now, and
    gleaned about 10 big black garbage bags the first time,
    and about 4 the second time.
    I guess my stash isn't so big after all :shock:
    If I put everything into black garbage bags I'm guessing I'd end up with 6 or 7 bags. That's still too much for me but not as much as I'm realizing others have :!: :!:
    My BFF works in a catholic church and I'm sure she'll take a lot
    (or all) of it for them to make charity quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna
    I am determined to use up my stash and it is HUGE. If I don't make quilts, I'll make aprons. Somehow I just keep buying more.
    I'm with you Krystyna, I do use my stash. I do a lot of projects with small pieces in them and since I am organized enough to at least have them semi-color coordinated, I can find the color piece I want and whack away at it. Great for my SP swaps, siggy swap and row robin. I do whittle it down occassionally tho. Right now trying to downsize to move it into a motorhome. DH is going nuts.

I am determined to use up my stash and it is HUGE. If I don't make quilts, I'll make aprons. Somehow I just keep buying more.
    I'm with you Krystyna, I do use my stash. I do a lot of projects with small pieces in them and since I am organized enough to at least have them semi-color coordinated, I can find the color piece I want and whack away at it. Great for my SP swaps, siggy swap and row robin. I do whittle it down occassionally tho. Right now trying to downsize to move it into a motorhome. DH is going nuts.

Blog Entries
    My motto is, she who dies with the most "wins"

Blog Entries
    I've been thinking, I am using some of my stash to make simple baby quilts for a woman's resource organization that helps with abused women or unwed mothers, etc. they can always use help. also some simple lap quilts for the veterans hospital or nursing homes. I know there are many on this board who do this kind of thing. Just seems like as things get harder, more and more people need help. I was thinking of making some sun dresses for little girls. Just a suggestion for some of that extra material.

Blog Entries
    sorry for double post.

Blog Entries
    I don't have extra fabric one nice thing about living and travling in a MTH no room when I see a pattern I want to make I go buy the fabric for it, when the scraps built up (left overs) than I make a table runner or placemats,tote whatever,I have bought kits, not that many but I do like them ,,,,

I occ go through and give some away if I think will never use it had some given to me and so pass it on.

Quote Originally Posted by FQ Stash Queen
    That sounds challenging!!!

Quote Originally Posted by c joyce
    I'm finding I have too much stuff...all kinds of stuff that is cluttering up everywhere so I'm in the process of de-stuffing my house. It's all good stuff, but I have decided it can go live at someone else's house. So every time Purple Heart, Vet groups, church, and Goodwill asks for donations, I'm ready with a box full. It's beginning to look better and I feel better. I'm only keeping things we actually use and want; we used to keep anything that was still good; just because it's good is not a reason any more.
    I am in that stage as well in attic and basement, feels wonderful. Destuffing have a good friend who has shopping addiction and feel bad for her and never want to get there, her house sometimes not even able to walk in halls.

Quote Originally Posted by c joyce
    I'm finding I have too much stuff...all kinds of stuff that is cluttering up everywhere so I'm in the process of de-stuffing my house. It's all good stuff, but I have decided it can go live at someone else's house. So every time Purple Heart, Vet groups, church, and Goodwill asks for donations, I'm ready with a box full. It's beginning to look better and I feel better. I'm only keeping things we actually use and want; we used to keep anything that was still good; just because it's good is not a reason any more.
    I am in that stage as well in attic and basement, feels wonderful. Destuffing have a good friend who has shopping addiction and feel bad for her and never want to get there, her house sometimes not even able to walk in halls.

O.K. I'll admit it - I'm a hoarder!! I'll probably never use all the fabric I have, but it sure is pretty to look at! LOL I figure down the road my kids will just throw it out, (boys) but I am enjoying it now. Does that make me strange - maybe - but I feel that I am a quilter and no different from any other quilter!! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda S
    I will honestly say I think I am close to being a 'hoarder' when it comes to fabric. Sorry, can't help it..but, I have opened my little sewing room up to my friends that are new to quilting and have not built up a stash. I encourage them to come look to see if there is something on my shelves they could use. t gives us a chance to visit and share ideas.
    My sister and quilting friends have shopped in mu stash, glad to see it used.

I must de-stash. I gave my daughter about 2/3 of my stash when I moved and still don't have room for it all. At least she is using the fabrics up. I stopped buying for a long while, but am back at it. I just can't seem to break the cycle of buying more fabric just in case I might like to use it some day. hat to do, but I must get rid of all this stuff - fabric, magazines and books. Not to mention threads and bindings and other trims I just had to have. Oh me...............

I just plan on living until I am 300 to use up my stash!

I buy fabric because I love it. Sometimes I have a specific project, sometimes I don't. I am trying to use more of my fabrics. I think it's fun to be able to go through my stash and find exactly what I need (or what a friend needs). It's like shopping for free!

Blog Entries
    I used to keep all of my stash in plastic totes in a closet. When we moved I put it in those plastic drawer storage units. I didn't use it much. It was easier to go buy more. Now that I have it all organized in a china cabinet I have made 4 quilts in the last month.

If I had to destash totally,
    first - it would kill me:cry:;
    second - I could just start a new stash collection. :thumbup: Yay!

I kinda think of it as 'rotating' my stash. As I use some up, it needs to be replaced. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by mzsooz
    Gee...if you really feel the need to destash throw them my way! LOL I'm so jealous of all the pictures of everyone's beautiful collections and I have one cd tower of fat quarters as my stash :( Consider yourselves lucky!!

I've been known to just go into my sewing room and just touch fabric. I feel so at peace when I do that. Uh oh....does that make me an addict? :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Yes isn't that the best.

I have been digging into my stash. The last several quilts I have made have been at least 90% stash, buying only one or two small pieces new. I just dug out 67 different shades of purple for a scrap quilt- guess I don't need to buy any more!

Blog Entries
    I have a stash and a half. I'm trying to use it up, I make aprons , little dresses for Africa, pot holders and quilts for nursing homes. And I still have some left.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I would love to use it up. I am in the process of organizing and throwing somethings out. I am also going to be cutting strips so that I can sew charity quilts this summer when I am off.

I made a list this morning of things I want to get accomplished. It is longer that I want but it is starting to get me motivated.

I also want to say that this website has really motivated me. I have to start each day looking at pictures and I can't wait to do something every day.

Blog Entries
    I think about this a good bit. I have 1 yard and 1/2 yard cuts they don't go together, so what am I ever going to do with them? I dont' like FQ's I just don't like left overs, so most of my stash is to small to work with. Yes a yard is to small to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    How many of you reeeeeallllyyyy will use all the stash you have?
    I have several shelves filled with piles of fabric (some still on bolts), yet I always need to buy more for each quilt I make. My stash just "isn't right" even though I don't have strange colors or prints.
    Oh I might find one to use but most of the fabrics in my quilts are newly bought fabrics.
    So I'm really toying with the idea of just selling it off.

Do you think you'll ever use up your stash?
    Nope! Stash is like toilet paper. If there are less than ten mega rolls in the house, it's time to go shopping. The object of stash isn't to use it up, it's just to have enough of it.
    I agree!!You can never have to much stash!! Mine is mostly fat quarters. I like making scrappy quilts and sometimes I make a project just from my stash......my own challenge! Its fun.

Go for it. I am thinking of doing the same thing. I am going to make pillow cases for a charity project and hope to use up a bunch that way. Or if you have receits donate to a local quilt guild for charity quilts and deduct from taxes.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast