Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm Upset!! >

I'm Upset!!

I'm Upset!!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:56 AM

I thought this was an interesting article about how sewing is making a comeback. Maybe this is why they recruited Marie Osmond, she would appeal to a younger generation. Not just quilters.
http://www.lvrj.com/living/reality-s...-88756357.html
Old 04-10-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I thought this was an interesting article about how sewing is making a comeback. Maybe this is why they recruited Marie Osmond, she would appeal to a younger generation. Not just quilters.
http://www.lvrj.com/living/reality-s...-88756357.html
If this is true and I believe it is. Why are the fabric stores closing? Why is Walmart taking out their fabric? I think the growth in sewing has been growing, when will retailers pay attention?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:37 PM

I'm with you. Seems like everyone EXCEPT the retailer realize sewing is a growing hobby.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:09 AM

One of the hardware department men in our local WM who comes to cut fabric when you ring the bell on the fabric counter told us it is because they do not want to pay people to hang around the fabric/craft department just to cut fabric.
He said now they have different people from the floor area come to cut fabric whenever someone rings the counter bell in fabrics now, and no one staffs the craft department, it is turning into a self-serve like the rest of the store.
I had to show him how to measure the fabric, and use the little trench to cut the piece off the bolt, and he still cut the most ragged line I ever saw. He tried, but it was not good.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by ConnieF
http://www.kayewoodtv.com/ktv/ if you miss Kay Woods on Tv you can watch her on your computer....
Many thanks ConnieF--I will do that. We went on a quilting cruise with Kaye about 9-10 yrs ago and had a ball. She is as much fun as El Burns.

I also would not buy because a celeb endorses. I do the consumer reports and budget thing.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:35 AM

Buying online may be a factor for fabric stores closing also. I like to see and feel the fabrics I purchase, but, I have purchased fabrics online also. A fabric store in my area had to move to a smaller shop next door to where she was. Lack of business was the reason. Next, she will have to close.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:33 PM

Glad you like it,I have always been a family car person, My husband of almost 6 years felt I needed to live a little,so he bought me a used Vette. She is not a Sunday Queen, I work volunteer at a thrift store, and she takes there and to my quilting guild,and any place I need to go , My Vette is my only car, My kids said OH My Gosh!!!!, What is an old lady like you doing getting a Vette? My answer was "Because I can". We just returned today from Cottonwood , Arizona, went down Oak Creek Canyon Beautiful place, Stayed in Motel 8, ate at Sizzlers and had the continental breakfast at the motel, What a weekend , It was so beautiful out there, the wild flowers are starting to bloom all over
Old 04-12-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Campbell34
Glad you like it,I have always been a family car person, My husband of almost 6 years felt I needed to live a little,so he bought me a used Vette. She is not a Sunday Queen, I work volunteer at a thrift store, and she takes there and to my quilting guild,and any place I need to go , My Vette is my only car, My kids said OH My Gosh!!!!, What is an old lady like you doing getting a Vette? My answer was "Because I can". We just returned today from Cottonwood , Arizona, went down Oak Creek Canyon Beautiful place, Stayed in Motel 8, ate at Sizzlers and had the continental breakfast at the motel, What a weekend , It was so beautiful out there, the wild flowers are starting to bloom all over
Hey your never to old to buy the car that you really like, My Hubby just sold his 89 vette he wants something newer but personally I think the old ones are pretty nice and alot cheaper.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:06 PM

We love this , cost us less than 27,000.00 had 14 thousand miles on it , 2006 clean , We have friends that have all ages of Vettes, the newer ones are much more comfortable, but all are beautiful, Sometimes there are 30 of us going on a breakfast run,If we go to Laughlin the guys at the Calif State line just give us a thimbs up and flags us on through. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 04-13-2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Campbell34
We love this , cost us less than 27,000.00 had 14 thousand miles on it , 2006 clean , We have friends that have all ages of Vettes, the newer ones are much more comfortable, but all are beautiful, Sometimes there are 30 of us going on a breakfast run,If we go to Laughlin the guys at the Calif State line just give us a thimbs up and flags us on through. :thumbup: :thumbup:
thats really cool I hope that it brings you some fun after all we deserve some fun after raising our kids.