Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Improv Modern Baby Quilt >

Improv Modern Baby Quilt

Improv Modern Baby Quilt

Old 04-28-2014, 05:51 PM

Boy, you do a beautiful job of piecing the quilt together. It is so nice and so pretty.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:48 AM

Modern quilts are usually not my thing, but I LOVE this one! The colors, the placement, everything about it is great.....Is it your own pattern? (BTW, no ideas how to quilt, except maybe something swirly)
Old 04-29-2014, 05:37 AM

Circles and Straight lines
MaryKatherine
Old 04-29-2014, 06:08 AM

If you have never quilted before I might suggest using a temporary spray basting method. I lay out my batting and smooth it out on a table. Then I position my backing on top and smooth it out. Taking a clean piece of lumber (a 1" x 4" at least as wide as the quilt that has been wiped off and is clean), I carefully roll up the backing fabric to the halfway point. Spray the batting and carefully unroll the backing over the sprayed batting. Repeat on the other half. Once done, trim the batting to the size of the backing. Flip the entire piece over and do the same to the pieced top. Smooth and center the top on the backing sandwich. Then start rolling and spraying the top. I never have any wrinkles or bubbles and everything lays flat and smooth. When done, I take my walking foot and stitch the entire outside edge down with a zig zag stitch to prevent anything from shifting while I quilt. Re: quilting. I would suggest an easy method is to do diagonal cross hatching. Use the blue painters tape (either the 1" or 2" would work), set at a 45 degree angle across the widest part of your quilt. Sew on both sides of the tape. I usually use another piece of tape as a guide. Position it next to the first tape and your line of stitching. Then remove your first tape and position it next to the guide with the sides touching, but not overlapping. When you remove the guide, you can again sew on both sides of the tape. Easy peasy. I always wash my quilts before gifting if I use the temporary spray. Good luck. Your quilt is beautiful!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:47 AM

If you want to do FMQ look up Leah Day's site. She has many different designs that you could fill in the sashing spaces. Then maybe echo quilt around the designs in the blocks. There is one design she has that does look like a chicken foot print. I did this on a small quilt and I used many different patterns. It was so much fun and so creative. I love your quilt and the colors.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:46 AM

I really like your placement of blocks.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:20 AM

No suggestions - just want to say what a unique baby quilt - I really like it!
Old 04-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

I agree. Straight diagonal lines going in one direction will look great. Good Luck !!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:55 PM

I love the suggestion of bird feet running around the border. I have also decided to let a 'real' quilter do this on their longarm. The baby is due at the end of May and we will be gone for two weeks the first of May. So while we are gone a 'quilt fairy' will do the work I'm afraid to do. I have decided I am a piecer not a quilter. The top came out to be 38x42 and started from a fat quarter I fell in love with at Tuesday Morning. (Feather n' stitch from Sarah Watts). I based the layout very loosely on a tutorial: Charley Harper Baby Quilt {by Beth of Plum and June}. Thanks for all of your comments.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 AM

I love your design!